The online racing simulator
F1 Race Manager 2011 Browser Game
(253 posts, started )
There was no bonus question but everyone got 3 million.

If it rains the results can be quite surprising. My RBR-ferrari duo looks pretty good though
I remembered 3 mins before qual started - no reminder e-mail cos there wasn't a bonus question
I skipped out on Ferrari this race because they are so bad on the medium tyres, but they didn't use them thanks to the weather. I think perhaps Ferrari is the best bet to gain points on the all Red Bull teams now, judging by their development last season and their strong showing in the last few races.
Ferrari is cheap so there's one good reason to use it. Today rbr was only 20 points better even with massa being used as a pure 2nd driver for ferrari and massa being not good enough anyways.

Having perez was good for me too
I'm struggling really, last time I came 2nd was because I guessed the big Mclaren leap forward so I keep hoping for that because I never win the race to get the best team first.
Mclaren looked really good before the button pit incident and hamilton fuel issues. Ferrari is always a bit of gamble because you can have massa anywhere between 4th and 10th but mclaren's seem pretty solid.
i got the podium... just in the wrong order...
Quote from sil3ntwar :Completely forgot about this. Didn't get an update email. Totally screwed now.

Welcome to the club. It's actually two in a row for me. I'm gonna update it right now...
Anyone tried the bonus question? I don't think any of the choices are correct!

Which statement is correct?

The Nürburgring has 18 corners and its nickname is "The Green Hell". (18 corners?!)
The length of the circuit is 5.1 km and in 1978 a Dutch sportsman became world champion at the old Nürburgring. (There has never been a Dutch F1 champion, unless the question is talking about another world championship.)
The official opening was in 1927 and in the 1950s Juan Manuel Fangio managed to win five times in a row. (Could be correct if it's talking about Fangio's five world titles, rather than five wins at the Nurburgring.)
Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring and in the same year he became World Champion. (Latter is wrong.)
Good work, Hyper. I think you're right!
I disagree and say it's answer:
d) Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring and in the same year he became World Champion.

Last Nürburgring winners:
  • 2005 Alonso (WDC: Alonso)
  • 2006 Schumacher (WDC: Alonso)
  • 2007 Alonso (WDC: Kimi)
  • 2009 Webber (WDC: Button)
EDIT:
Or did I understood that wrong with "Last driver to win at" and it is refering to 2009 (Last race held there?)
-
(Silverracer) DELETED by Silverracer : Scrap that. Too confusing to me.
He won in 2007 and Raikkonen was champion that year so that can't be the answer.
People are being confused because of Hockenheim.

Winners at the Nurburgring and the World Drivers Champions in the same year:

2009 - Winner: Webber / WDC = Button
2007 - Winner: Alonso / WDC = Kimi
2006 - Winner: Schum / WDC = Alonso
2005 - Winner: Alonso / WDC = Alonso
2004 - Winner: Schum / WDC = Schum

Schumacher wasn't last, Alonso was. So this is indeed a possible answer.

-------------------------------------------

The other possible answer about the possible Dutch sportsman, that was my second choice, but he or his team didn't become World Champions after winning AT the Nordschleife as the answer suggests. If you look at the results for each race in the series Hyperactive posted:

FIA World Challenge for Endurance Drivers
A total of 7 rounds these GTX class results for Hezemans:

1) 1st (with Brumos Porsche team)
2) DNS
3) DNS

4) 1st - Nordschleife (with Weisberg-Gelo team)
5) DNF - LeMans (with Weisberg-Gelo team)
6) DNS
7) DNS

It doesn't add up to a World Championship team, does it? How could his team possibly have won the championship after the 4th round. He jumped around to other teams. However it looks like they didn't make the drivers champions, but the series was focused on the makes (aka World Championship for Makes), and Porsche were champions for that year in this series -- But the answer suggests "A Dutch sportsman became world champion". So I dug around some more. Here are all of his 1978 results: http://www.racingsportscars.co ... e-Hezemans-NL.html?page=3

There is the DRM championship with a total of 11 rounds. They visited the Nurburgring in Round 2 (@Nordschleife), Round 3 (@Norschleife), and Round 11 (@Zielschleife / Nuburgring). You obviously cannot win the championship by the 2nd or 3rd round, so I looked at Round 11, where they got 2nd place.

The DRM Champions in 1978 weren't them according to this page - It went to Harald Ertl (Austria) / Schnitzer Motorsport / BMW 320i Turbo. Again, however, this was for Division 2 which he ran the entire season. UGHHHH. So I had to search more about Division 1.

According to this article, their team won, but I am not sure at which race they clinched it. It sounds like 1978 was a crap season with low attendance in Division 1.
Quote from From the article :The end results were Ertl, Hezemans (winner Div.1)

And here is the full points table of the 1978 Season, with Ertl in Division 2 taking overall, but Hezemans winning for Division 1:
http://www.wspr-racing.com/wsp ... s/drm/tabledrm.html#1978-

And if you look at Wollek's results just below his, you will see that Hezemans indeed was champion for that division at the very last round at the Nurburgring. It was down the wire at the last race, and Hezemans needed to score points in order to become champion and hold off Wollek. Here are points accumulations in order:

Hezemans
1) 20
2) 35
3) 55
4) 75
5) 83
6) 98
7) 113
8) 125
9) 0
10) 0
11) 140

Wollek

1) 15
2) 35
3) 45
4) 53
5) 73
6) 0 ?
7) 95
8) 101
9) 0
10) 113
11) 131

The only question is.... who is actually the world champion of DRM? Is it the Division 2 guy (Ertl) that won overall with 162 points? Or would they consider the Division 1 guy (Hezemans) champion also? Outright standings listed at the bottom of this page say it was Ertl: http://www.teamdan.com/archive/www2/drm/78drm.html

EDIT: The Alonso answer has to be the only one. The Champions in DRM were based on whoever had the most points, so Ertl in Div.2 won. According to this article
Quote :The DRM had a curious system whereby the Division II cars didn't directly compete on the track against the faster and more powerful Porsche 935s, but a champion would be crowned based on which Div I or II team amassed the most points. So, in this case, Schnitzer had the most points at the end of the 1978 season.

All this being said. Are both answers correct?
Another thing altogether is that can a drm champion be called world champion. Also back then there used to be drop races meaning that you could race like 5 out 7 and still be dwc. Or some of those events could be show events with no points given.

Hmm who was the team boss for the 1978 winning sportscar team..?

Also one could speculate that Fangios 5-race streak doesn't necesarily mean 5 F1 races

I even looked at some motorbike races but no luck there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_motorcycle_Grand_Prix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1 ... _motorcycle_racing_season

Alonso answer is kind of odd depending how you read it. Alonso is indeed the last european driver to win both dwc and nurburgring race in the same year but definitely not the last european to win at nurgburgring. And the question imho wants to say that Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring and in the same year he became World Champion.

E: nothing...
The questions is pretty clear to me.

"Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring and in the same year he became World Champion."

Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring --- True
and in the same year he became World Champion -- False

It mentions the last european driver to win at nurburgring. That was 2007 not 2006 or 2005.

The question isn't that hard people are just reading it completely wrong somehow.

Let's hope this means the questions will make more sense once it comes back up.
Looks like

The length of the circuit is 5.1 km and in 1978 a Dutch sportsman became world champion at the old Nürburgring.

Was the correct answer, cheers guys
Quote from sil3ntwar :The questions is pretty clear to me.

"Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring and in the same year he became World Champion."

Fernando Alonso is the last European driver to win at the Nürburgring --- True
and in the same year he became World Champion -- False

It mentions the last european driver to win at nurburgring. That was 2007 not 2006 or 2005.

The question isn't that hard people are just reading it completely wrong somehow.

I don't think people are reading it wrong, it's the person that runs this site has VERY poor writing skills.

The fact that there is an "AND" in that Alonso answer means that he should have been the last winner AND won the WDC the same year -- that narrows it down to a very small choice. It's clear as a bell. Especially that there is no detail in the sentence when using "the same year", it's completely past tense.

Secondly, I've asked the admin who the Dutch sportsman was. If it was the one I had to explain and research above, then the owner of the site is wrong.
I still kind of liked this one. At least you had to search for the answer instead of knowing it straightaway and doing just doing couple of google searches to be 100% sure.

Just one more reminder. Now is a good chance to set the bets just in case you forget to do them later on.
I think Schumacher and merc looks good. At least the team being full german I'd expect them really wanting to do well in this race. Ferrari looks pretty good again and only if Massa does well Ferrari can score close to rbr amounts of points.

Better remember to make yer choises!
Disappointed wit schumi, thought he could get in top8 and maybe even challence robsberg. Looks like hamilton is tough to beat.
We are slipping down in the sub league comp

Race went well although that schumi's spin did cost him some positions.

F1 Race Manager 2011 Browser Game
(253 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG