The online racing simulator
Kerbal Space Program
(79 posts, started )
I built a rocket with all solid boosters that ran out of fuel a split second before each section would have blown up, but it didn't get very far. The acceleration was good though, it would do 300m/s straight from take off.
That's why you use solid boosters for getting of the ground, but once you're up to speed, use liquid fuel rockets for prolongued acceleration.

On a sidenote, my Deeper Space Penetrator is at 3580K after 35 minutes, still going upwards with 1600m/s. I think I have successfully escaped Kerbals gravitation.
when i tried to complete the tutorial, my pc died.
now its broken (no joke D: )
although i dont think that it got anything to do with this "game".
I have a complicated but very effective rocket, the problem is the game keeps forcing it's automatic sequence on me, and it's hard to change easily. Basically I can get my rocket which reached 1k in 9 minutes into the upper atomosphere before it fires up.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I have a complicated but very effective rocket, the problem is the game keeps forcing it's automatic sequence on me, and it's hard to change easily. Basically I can get my rocket which reached 1k in 9 minutes into the upper atomosphere before it fires up.

you can change it in the build rocket area thingy, which will change the sequence permanently.

If you change it at launch, it will get reverted next time.
I changed it in the rocket build area, but whenever I changed one SAS unit it reset the whole thing. Anyway I just about managed to get all sequences fired without blowing up, came very close though and I managed to reach 1k in 7 minutes, top speed was 6255m/s.

This is the rocket I used, showing all of the stages.
Attached images
USS batshit crazy.jpg
Adding any part that influences sequences will reset it fully to the automatic sequence.. Annoying, but they say a completely manual sequence option will come soon. Also a tool to align stuff perfectly.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I changed it in the rocket build area, but whenever I changed one SAS unit it reset the whole thing. Anyway I just about managed to get all sequences fired without blowing up, came very close though and I managed to reach 1k in 7 minutes, top speed was 6255m/s.

This is the rocket I used, showing all of the stages.

nice. Let me see if I can remake and/or improve that.
I've hit a snag with mine. It won't fly straight or at all. I put SRBs on the bottom, they fire, but the rocket won't move. It only moves after I have to trigger the first stage to detatch, then it goes haywire.

What'd I do wrong?
I guess it´s just too heavy. Happened to mee to. Either Attach more SRBs to the bottom to get mor boost or get rid of them completely and redsign your rocket.

That´s the hard part when building rockets: To get more thrust, you need more fuel. More fuel weighs more, so you need more thrust to get the thing up in the air.

In a documentary I heard, that on earth we´re quite lucky with the gravity and air pressure we have. Some different numbers and we won´t be able to fly to space at all, because these damn things would get too heavy to lift off at all
Oh snap, 'bout to get a physics lesson in here.

a = F/m.
Quite simply, too little force for too much mass. Add more boosters to the stage where you fail to accelerate. Or cut down on weight elsewhere.
What I really want is the manual staging Impossible to build anything big when it keeps reverting to the automatic one.

Edit: Nice, pretty decent speed
Attached images
10kms.PNG
managed to get at 1000k after 8.17 at a top speed of 3850m/s then ran out of fuel
Keep checking for updates, the latest version, 0.8.4 solves the bug with the staging reverting to the default setting.
Reaching a high altitude is fine, but it's more of a challenge to reach a stable orbit, and get back in one piece.
This is what Spore should have had as the precursor to the Space age chapter.
Quote from anbiddulph :managed to get at 1000k after 8.17 at a top speed of 3850m/s then ran out of fuel

1000k after 8.01 at 5270m/s
5500k at 22.35 at 5055m/s (ran out of fuel)
This game is awsome
I love this game so much I've set up a little website and I'm going to be setting weekly or bi-weekly competitions. The website is still a bit messy whilst I am figuring WordPress out.

Any the first Competition is up and it would be great if some of you could enter.

KSP.NET Competition

The first one is pretty simple and 'easy'.
0.8.5 is out and I celebrated it by getting to orbit. If 13k is anywhere near orbit.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :0.8.5 is out and I celebrated it by getting to orbit. If 13k is anywhere near orbit.

If you could stay at a stable speed without slowing down after shutting off power, that means you're in orbit. (I THINK?) :P
You have to travel at like 8km/s if you wanna orbit at that height. Actually I doubt it's possible, the path wont be an orbit. Try 3 km/s at like 100 km height
Probably quite off with those numbers, but you're far off I guess.
#48 - 5haz
I think the effects of the atmosphere wear off about 35,000m. 50 rocket designs later and I've yet to sustain orbit.
Quote from hiroshima guy :If you could stay at a stable speed without slowing down after shutting off power, that means you're in orbit. (I THINK?) :P

Yeah I can't get over 150 km/s...What am I doing wrong? You guys are throwing about 1km/s, I'm only getting 1/10th of that...do I just need a LOT more powah? I've been using Sunday Punch's mods (like the 4 liquid engines and nuke engines...those just love to go kaboom however....)

If I go for more power though the rocket goes out of control, if I go for control I can't get above 8k.
For control you need the SAS modules. Place them all around, but remember they weigh.

Kerbal Space Program
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG