The online racing simulator
Quote from three_jump :Say "Williams-Renault" and it will put a smile on your face

A very close second to the Ferrari V12 in terms of engine sounds back then. RS6 V10 FTW!
Well at least its a step to the right direction for Williams. From what I have read, Cosworth's V8 is heavy and not as efficient as the other engines (and probably down on power as well).
Quote :urbocharged V6 engines to be used in Formula 1 from 2014 will sound great
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92873

Renault Sport's managing director Jean Francois Caubet told AUTOSPORT: "We have had a four-cylinder [powerplant] on the dyno and the sound is nearly the same as the V8 running at 12,000-14,000rpm. With the V6, with one exhaust, the sound will be very good."

Basically it is an outright lie from the beginning. The current engines don't even drop that low (below 15k) except in slow turns. It's major change in the sound and the v6 will sound like rev limited turd.
Try reading what you quoted. The cars will sound fine.
exactly tris, i don't remember anyone complaining about the 1.5 v6 turbo's in the 80's and they weren't getting close to the peak revs the new ones will be.
Maybe because in quali trim they hitting out 1000hp and generally were pretty insane. Without the noise, today's cars are a bit boring.

Though it has to be said that F1 must be in a pretty sad state of affairs engineering and innovation wise if the 'noise of the engine' is a decisive factor in regulations and a critical news item.

Also it's quite 'frustrating' the amount of sound regulation motorsports other than F1 have to put up with. You fart in the wrong place and someone is on your back threatening to ban you from the circuit, but F1, **** it...crank it up! lol
Quote from Intrepid :

Though it has to be said that F1 must be in a pretty sad state of affairs engineering and innovation wise if the 'noise of the engine' is a decisive factor in regulations and a critical news item.

I thought Top Gear last week was a great example of how Bernie was quite right about the noise.
F1 'noise' has been a consequence of engineers pushing the limits of engineering.

With the regs being designed specifically to make sure the engines are noisey, it's just a bit backwards and highlights of the lack of technical prowess in F1 now. It's all about designing F1 for the maximum show. That's the direction F1 has taken, which is fine, but it's a bit lame.
vettel on TG this week ^^
You all fail when you call it a NOISE, noise is an audio that is unpleasant.

IE, Static, or people shouting.

Noise, is NOT the word to describe a beautiful engine audio.
You both beat me to it by like 7 minutes. Nice, should be a good Ep then, along with the McLaren MC-Hammer .
Quote from tristancliffe :Try reading what you quoted. The cars will sound fine.

At best the new engine will sounds like the current ones at 15000rpm. The current engines drop to 15k only at slow speed turns. I'd imagine the new engines being a lot quieter too because of the turbo in the exhaust piping muffling the sound.

First off that is a major change in the sound because the rev range that is mostly used is totally different. I'd imagine the teams dropping to 6 speed gearboxes which too will drop the rev range down. What makes an f1 engine sound like it does it the high revs. I'm very skeptical about it until I hear it. Especially because they are already comparing it to the current engines at an obscure rev range that makes them look they are trying to sugar coat a failure
The tracks are up-in-arms about this. Christ, what will they do when we go leccy or similar. If a whole business model is based on the sound of the cars, then it's on very very very sHaKkkyyy ground.
It's odd, considering that some of the tracks are under threat from nearby residents because of sound levels...
Quote :@RealSimonB(McLaren engineer)

http://twitter.com/#!/RealSimonB

They'll change the rules back to allow EBD!!

Should we even be surprised?

FIA once again making the rules as they go... Bunch of total muppets.
Quote from Intrepid : when we go leccy or similar

the **** does this mean? is that short for electric?
First thing that came to my mind was leggins.. Anuyhoo...

I'm getting more and more pissed. Now for some reason the finnish f1 site (katsomo) where I have watched my f1 vids hasn't been working for me so I haven't seen a minute of f1 for this weekend yet. Looks like I need to find some random sub-sd stream with swahili-spanish commentary to see any f1 this weekend... And to make things even worse I'm at work when the action is on track so my only choise is to watch the stuff afterwards and there aren't any streams for that... meow.

I can't quite make out what all the fuss about the sounds is. A couple of interesting points from Ant Davidson and Murray Walker during FP3 Silverstone.
  1. Back in the 80's we had 1.5 litre turbo engines and nobody complained about the noise or lack of.
  2. The more energy wasted producing noise, is less energy being delivered to the wheels.
If we get close racing, who cares about a few decibels difference?
Quote from Squelch :I can't quite make out what all the fuss about the sounds is. A couple of interesting points from Ant Davidson and Murray Walker during FP3 Silverstone.
  1. Back in the 80's we had 1.5 litre turbo engines and nobody complained about the noise or lack of.
  2. The more energy wasted producing noise, is less energy being delivered to the wheels.
If we get close racing, who cares about a few decibels difference?

back in the 80s you had cars producing over 1000hp, there is a big difference.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG