The online racing simulator
New mobile phone time - WHICH ONE?
(110 posts, started )
#76 - arco
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Also I am thinking of jailbreaking it because I want my own ringtones and shit could anyone advise if this is a good/bad idea and what tools to use..

Really? You can't use your own ringtones on an iPhone without jailbreaking?:banghead:
#77 - PoVo
Quote from arco :Really? You can't use your own ringtones on an iPhone without jailbreaking?:banghead:

Hahahahhahaha

And they say Android sucks
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't think viruses are a real concern. I've only had one on my PC ever. I don't understand how people get so many...

Flash is out of date, and I hate websites that use it. Even before I got an iPhone (and since, whilst using a desktop) I tended to leave flash websites or choose an HTML alternative. Whether it's buggy, a memory hog or whatever doesn't matter to me, I just find it horrible to look at and use.

Homescreen Twitter and Facebook feeds are not nice to use. I much prefer a full screen view of the feed. Granted a widget view is good for quick updates, but not so good for catching up on the last 8 hours of developments whilst I was asleep.

Androids turn-by-turn navigation is quite good considering, so you are right to show off about that feature. But as I've bought the TomTom app, my iphone is at least as good as a dedicated device for a fraction of the price (the cost of the app). Sure, I paid more for turn-by-turn than you, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Hands free use (Voice Control) is pretty poor on my girlfriend's Desire S. I tried it for about an hour the other night, and even in a quiet environment it got most things wrong. So I don't think you can brag too much about that. My handsfree kit does more reliable voice control (for calls only admittedly), but as I don't text or email whilst driving it's not a biggie. Choosing which podcast to listen to or album to listen to isn't much of a chore with a finger.

Tethering can be useful. Depends on your lifestyle. I used it once in 2003 to unlock LFS behind a uni firewall. I've never needed it or wanted it since.

I still think the interface overall is better on the iPhone. It's more of an integrated feeling. Yes, we miss out on a few things. But the iPhone has things the androids don't (or, at least, don't do well). The choice is a personal one.

The more I use the HTC the less inclined I am to get one at the moment. I admit this is partly because my girlfriend has configured aspects of it in the stupidest way possible (but it's her phone, so who am I to argue).

By the looks of it, iOS5 will add a lot of the features you use below to make the Android seem better.

Well, I agreed before the whole dawesdust discussion, that in the end, it's more down to personal preference than a real advantage one has over the other.
It was just the flamebait of dustin that made me defend android a little more than I usually do. Or rather, do not, as I haven't had to defend android until now.
Quote from arco :Really? You can't use your own ringtones on an iPhone without jailbreaking?:banghead:

Of course you can. Easily. But they won't let you use music mp3s for it, you have to convert the song you want to a ringtone, which takes seconds.

But music for a ringtone is so 1990s. Anyone who is anyone has a phone ringing sound. Or The Chain.
Quote from tristancliffe :Anyone who is anyone has a phone ringing sound.

I absolutely hate phone ringing sound, everyone are using it...I was using it, but i don't anymore because i kept grabbing my phone after every five seconds at crowded places. Everytime i hear a regular phone ring now i feel the need to strangle someone.
Quote from tristancliffe :Anyone who is anyone has a phone ringing sound. Or The Chain.

I've had Beastie Boys - Girls as my ringtone since the Nokia 3210 came out and you could program your own ringtones on its mono step-time sequencer.
Quote from E.Reiljans :To not drain your phone's battery while listening to music or watching movies?

You are broken.

Yes you can. He's just a noob who just got the iphone.

@S14.

just get the app named '' Ringtone maker ''. It's free, even a monkey could do a ringtone with it.

also, if i was you, i would have waited untill the iphone 5 came out....
BTW I had a dream last night about a phone that doesn't exist, and it was the coolest phone on the planet, and I think I can build something close for about £20, so I'm going to do it.

You will all be more jealous than you think you'll be.
Quote from thisnameistaken :BTW I had a dream last night about a phone that doesn't exist, and it was the coolest phone on the planet, and I think I can build something close for about £20, so I'm going to do it.

You will all be more jealous than you think you'll be.

details so i dont have to wait?
Quote from el pibe :
@S14.

just get the app named '' Ringtone maker ''. It's free, even a monkey could do a ringtone with it.

also, if i was you, i would have waited untill the iphone 5 came out....

So you can't just import some mp3 and go "set as ringtone", why the app?
Quote from Boris Lozac :So you can't just import some mp3 and go "set as ringtone", why the app?

DRM, essentially. Using a commercial mp3 as a ringtone is *technically* agains the terms of use.
Quote from logitekg25 :details so i dont have to wait?

Basically a phone contained in an Admiral Ackbar action figure. Oh yes.
#94 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :DRM, essentially. Using a commercial mp3 as a ringtone is *technically* agains the terms of use.

Not really... there are many MP3's you could use perfectly legitimately with no DRM.

More than likely the real reason is that they'd rather you bought them via iTunes, and gave some money to Apple.
Indeed that's true. But nobody would, of course. Just like with torrents - people can claim all they like that you can get legitimate stuff through it, but everybody knows it's used for downloading commercial stuff for free.

But you're probably right about the revenue thing too, but it's quite easy to convert files to ringtones using Apple's own software so I don't buy that completely.

Who knows really.
Stuff like that and the whole iTunes thing really puts me off of Apple products, although i love their design. And i'm far from some crazy rooting, open source nerd..
Yeah I agree.

I really like my Macbook though. I got one because I needed a portable computer running a Unix-based OS and it seemed like the path of least resistance. I didn't expect to like it especially, but it's a good computer. There's an obvious benefit to the same company producing the hardware and the OS, especially on a notebook. The multi-touch pad and gestures make it a lot less of a pain in the ass to use than a Windows laptop.

In fact quite often when I've got a mouse plugged in I find I stop using it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :multi-touch pad

I bought my gf an acer laptop with it last year, i still find mouse many times more comfortable
Thanks elpibe but i found a way using itunes;

helpful if anyone wants to do it themselves no downloads required.

Go into itunes and right click a song. go to options and tick start and end time, set a time you want the ringtone to play for, no longer than 30 seconds. click ok.

right click song and click - convert to AAC - go to the AAC version that was created and copy it to your documents. on the file you copy, rename the extension to m4r and then you should be able to drag it into your ringtones folder on itunes and then drag it to ringtones on your iphone.

job done.
Quote from -NightFly- :I bought my gf an acer laptop with it last year, i still find mouse many times more comfortable

Multi-touch on Windows has always been horrible, simply because it's a poor implementation (like circle scroll) on an OS not designed for it.

Apple (to their credit) have made it work really well (although i'm not a fan of gestures).

New mobile phone time - WHICH ONE?
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG