The online racing simulator
Car Problem - No Drive
(101 posts, started )
On older cars, I believe speedo was commonly linked to propshaft rotation.
Quote from Bob Smith :On older cars, I believe speedo was commonly linked to propshaft rotation.

Not all that old, a lot of Fords still use the output shaft. The speedo cable can be found on the top of the gearbox.
input shaft?
Quote from Klutch :input shaft?

No, output, input would monitor engine revolutions.

Legend
1. Gearbox Casing
2. Clutch Housing
3. Input Shaft
4. Output Shaft
5. Final Drive
6. Transfer Box
7. Front Drive Differential
8. Viscomatic Lock
9. Front Drive Shafts
Well jack, as my knowledge in cars is expert.

It sounds like your car is broken.

You might need to get it repaired.

I hope my diagnosis has helped!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well jack, as my knowledge in cars is expert.

hit the nail on the head
Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but I also think it might be broken. They usually go when you drive them.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :No, output, input would monitor engine revolutions.

Legend
1. Gearbox Casing
2. Clutch Housing
3. Input Shaft
4. Output Shaft
5. Final Drive
6. Transfer Box
7. Front Drive Differential
8. Viscomatic Lock
9. Front Drive Shafts

I don't think jakg's car has pink transfer case in it.
My clutch went some weeks ago, i suddenly felt a bang en everytime i let the clutch out i vibrated en it was very heavy. Everything that had to do with the clutch got changed.
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't think jakg's car has pink transfer case in it.

He has an entire custom Hello Kitty gearbox set under there.
when my clutch went, the mechanic proclaimed that it was "almost certianly the most bastardised clutch assembly that i have ever seen"

He showed me what was left of it, a drive plate with all the springs blown out of it, all the rivets exposed, and most of the friction material also blown away, a pressure plate with all the fingers blown off it and also broken into several bits, and a decimated thrust bearing, looks like the whole lot literally exploded.

And all i knew of it was firstly very tight gears, a sudden loss of clutch pedal about 30 seconds later, 2 or 3 gear changes done by rev matching and then a sort of metallic "CHING" sound and no drive in any gear, and metallic jingling, and a rock solid clutch pedal that wouldnt go down, then it stopped going into gear altogether, and then finally i was able to jam it in gear with the engine off and roll along on the starter motor briefly, for about 10 yards, then i got another "CHING" noise, quieter and slower jingling and all drive was lost.

So one clutch later and its as good as new, the only thing it does now that it didnt before the clutch went is that there is slight clutch judder on take off, but thats not a major issue as far as im aware, plus the gearbox howls like an old transit diff when the power is on, and screams like an old mini metro on run down, but its always done that anyway, it did it for the 4 years my mate owned it and its done it for the near on 2 years i have and never gets worse, so god knows lol.
i really wouldnt know, but would it be a differential, or are we past that/am i missing something?

EDIT elaboration:

so if the clutch is working fine, and the transmission is also working fine, but the diff is gone, then there would be virtually no resistance on the engine anyways. the limited resistance that it *does* have, would explain why it would be easier slightly if the clutch is disengaged.

right thinking?

EDIT2:

theh bangs you hear, may be the gears on the diff shearing, and finally they just let go?
#40 - Jakg
Quote from logitekg25 :theh bangs you hear, may be the gears on the diff shearing, and finally they just let go?

They went on for quite a while, and was a clattering rather than a "bang".

I also then drove 35 miles home without issue, then another 2 miles before it went.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well jack, as my knowledge in cars is expert.

This looks totally like ANY 'highest rated' reply on TechNet forums to a thread about some Windows problem.
Is broken. Get fix.

/russian accent
The problem is obviously a clutch problem, you would have known if it was something else.

What I would do, personally, is freak out and pull out the tools.
You have one of those extremely obnoxious slave cylinders that is located within the bellhousing so either way if it is hydraulic or mechanical, you are going to have to pull the trans and get to the clutch.

My guess is that slave cylinder busted or got jammed and is pushing on the pressure plate (Pulling if you have one like my 944) keeping the clutch from grabbing. It has probably been leaking for a while.
#45 - Jakg
My Dad's had another suggestion... I always park in gear, and so it's been pretty much permanently in gear for the last year and a bit. She's never laid up much (being my daily drive and all) but my Dad mentioned that I might of damaged the idlers (or something like that).

He's also had a look at the driveshafts and declared them working fine.

Suggestions?
This is a long shot but have you crashed it into any bushes whilst avoiding fictional post office vehicles?
Quote from Jakg :My Dad's had another suggestion... I always park in gear, and so it's been pretty much permanently in gear for the last year and a bit. She's never laid up much (being my daily drive and all) but my Dad mentioned that I might of damaged the idlers (or something like that).

He's also had a look at the driveshafts and declared them working fine.

Suggestions?

That is why you use gearbox oil. To damage the gearbox you'd need to bleed it dry and allow the elements to get into the box to rust shit up. So assuming you check gearbox fluid at your annual (or 10k, whichever is sooner) to make sure you actually have some, that isn't a problem.
#48 - Jakg
Gearbox oil changed at 92k (manufacturer recommends every 90k), 11k ago.
it's the 2k that did it.
I'd put £5 on it not being the gears damaged by parking in gear. If they ain't movin' they ain't wearing and because you use the car regularly and had oil in the box, they won't get the time required to seize up and cause damage.

Car Problem - No Drive
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG