The online racing simulator
College at 28..
(17 posts, started )
College at 28..
So just got layoff from work (with the rest of us 30, 40) after almost 8 years. Was a 'dream' job, night shift 15 days a month, doing practically nothing (computer stuff at printing factory). It got me in the lazy state of mind making me believe it would last forever.. now i practically have to start all over cause that job isn't exactly transfferable on some other branche.. 'twas a monkey work really.

Now i'm thinking to finally doing what i should've done right after the highschool. If i want to do something more serious and be payed better, i need that piece of paper that i finished college.
It's a scary experience now, i'm 27 but i can't exactly prepare now in a month so i will apply for it next year.. need some drawing classes as i intend to apply for graphical design section.
I'm asking now if anyone had similiar experience starting this so late? Is it worth it, is it doable after literally haven't opened up a book in 10 years..
You are never too old and it's never too late. My dad is still studying at 61 (while working a high paying job full time no idea why he does it :tilt. I am 25 and only just finishing a degree that i started when i was 18 (keep giving up).

You will be surprised at how many people over 30 take up fulltime study.

Just make sure you enjoy what you study it makes it a billion times easier.
#3 - CSU1
...hardest hurdle to overcome is getting your head down into the books without distractions...

You've probably gotten attached to certain commitments in your life by now and have certain things you like to do throughout the day from time to time with friends & familly, so once you get your head around morphing into a solitary being for a couple of months you will find it a whole lot smoother
#4 - majod
i dont know where do you live and whats your school system like, but for example very good friend of mine turned 29 this year and he's going to graduate with me (I'm 21...tommorow...)...it's similiar case, because after high school he went to UK to earn some money and went to uni when he came back...and he done it...i guess its just up to you - how much time are you willing to sacrifice...its only about time and your lazyness, i can see it on hundreds of other students in my major - you will not pass exams not because you're stupid but because you're too lazy to open the book and read something. and external studies can make it a bit easier - don't know about your school system, but external students in here visit schools just once a week and then they just have to do exams....but they got to pay for it, daily is for free in here
Go for it. Do you want to be looking back 10 or 20 years from now and wished you'd done it?
#6 - Jakg
A guy on my course is in his late 40's, and just got a starred first in his first year (80%+ in everything the module, UEA Computing department has only given out a single digit number in it's history).

If you want it, you can do it.
A good friend of mine is now 37 (38 in October I think) and he just graduated two years ago. I met him when I was in my first year, when I was 18 and he was 32. He's now a journalist for a newspaper in BC. It's never too late.
Quote from sil3ntwar :
Just make sure you enjoy what you study it makes it a billion times easier.

This. This. Please for your own sanity, make sure you pick what you want. Or at least do some research into the course.

I picked up graphics and photography, and it was so shit its unbelievable. The teachers were crap, the course structure was horrible, lesson structure was horrible... It wasnt even graphics... More like fine art... I ended up just ditching it half way through the year, because I swear it would have finished me off.

So now I am in the process of resolving everything, and will most likely have to stay in college for another 2 years... But oh well, as long as I am learning something I thoroughly enjoy...

Anyway, 28 is definitely not too late. Just set your mind to it, and go for it.
I graduated last year and I'm in my mid 30s. I couldn't handle pulling weeds anymore and being outside all the time. Now I'm working at the best VFX studio in Turkey, doing what I've always wanted to do ever since I was a little kid.

No, it's never too late.
i never graduated,left high school inthe last year.came to usa to work.right now im ok,but if i want to do something with this mechanic stuff im gonna need papers i finished school.even tho i know everything im gonna have to waste time in school some day. (im 26 btw)
Just "buy" them.
I've recently had the same feeling, i'm turning 26 in few months and for some reason i feel like i am pissed of myself when i'm older for not going to uni. I needed money after high school, therefor i skipped the uni part.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Go for it. Do you want to be looking back 10 or 20 years from now and wished you'd done it?

Best post of teh thread.
Thanks for the support guys, i'll probably go for it..
It would definately be worth it. Age is not a factor these days, well, not in terms of eligibility or anything, only thing that's different is that at your age you'd likely have to pay for it.

As long as you have the desire and will to learn then you'll be fine. Let us know how it goes.
There was a guy in our uni class who in his late forties decided to finally get a degree in chemistry. Things didn't work out for him 'cause he was very busy with his job, family and stuff so he eventually quit, but he's the proof you can study at any age as long as you have the motivation.
Two quick examples for you.

When I want back to college to be a mechanic I thought being 23/24 was old, but a guy there was 30, he join the Navy in his teens as a Marine, retired at 25 to start a family and got a job in a factory, didn't really enjoy and when that business went tits up he decided to retrain at college. He has since gone on to get a job with Ford.

The other example is mummy P5YcHoM4N. She went back to college in her 40's to give her something to do as she was bored and the course was free for over 30's. She really enjoyed it and her tutor pushed her to take it further. Roll the clock forwards a few years and she graduated university in 2007 at the ripe old age of 47 as a conservator/restorer. She did some big works with various museums, went to Greece and Spain for a bit and has used that money to start her own business. Okay her business is not related to the course, but the confidence (and capital) in going back to college and then university meant she was able to take the risk.

It is never too late to retain and generally you do better when you're a bit older because you're matured.

College at 28..
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG