The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
Anyone know where I can buy this game?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Anyone know where I can buy this game?

Try online? Got my copy on Amazon IIRC, wasn't more than 7-8€.
Thanks. I tried Amazon but they won't ship outside of the US. and I thought maybe there is somewhere I can buy and download online.
Is there any need to buy it?*

When I install it (original) it doen't ask for the CD after applying patch 1.02

*: I wouldn't mind buying it to the original publisher/developer, but paying to some random internet guy who sell this... (AFAIK they stopped selling this gameafter Richard's death)
I got mine in a gaming magazin, like 4 years ago. I say this time it ok to download it somewhere. Neither Warthog nor SCi are still in existence.
Quote from ACCAkut :I got mine in a gaming magazin, like 4 years ago. I say this time it ok to download it somewhere. Neither Warthog nor SCi are still in existence.

you wouldn't steal a mk1 mini cooper would you? after all, they don't make them any more.
Quote from dadge :you wouldn't steal a mk1 mini cooper would you? after all, they don't make them any more.

He wouldn't STEAL it.
But I'm pretty sure he'd copy it.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Thanks. I tried Amazon but they won't ship outside of the US. and I thought maybe there is somewhere I can buy and download online.

Dude click my link. It is for ebay australia. $14 with free shipping what is the problem?
Alright I finally got my copy.

I got a question regarding the new mods. I found the RSRBR 2011 update. Can I just install the update pack 5? or do I have to go back and install update 1,2, and 3?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Alright I finally got my copy.

I got a question regarding the new mods. I found the RSRBR 2011 update. Can I just install the update pack 5? or do I have to go back and install update 1,2, and 3?

Quote from franky500 :you need to install RSRBR2011:

main RSRBR2011 mod: http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=349&t=6626

RSRBR 2011 v3 update (required): http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=7762
RSRBR 2011 V5 update (required, install AFTER v3): http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=8436

Optional car packs: http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewforum.php?f=350

update 1 and 2 are included in part 3. part 4 is included in part 5. so only get update 3 and 5.
thanks mate.
After playing this game, I have the upmost respect for all rally drivers out there. (not that I didn't have any respect for them before)

It's is SO hard to pay attention to the road, listening to the pace notes (i can't keep up with it AT ALL) and concentrate on the driving at the same time. I like to consider myself to be at least decent in road racing, but I am just absolutely horrible at this game. I am driving with my eyes, instead of using both eyes AND ears. :S

Any tips?
Well don't go fast at first just take it slow not granny slow but don't pretend to be Sebastian Ogier.

Just take it slow learn the track and do the rally school to build car control and confidence.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :After playing this game, I have the upmost respect for all rally drivers out there. (not that I didn't have any respect for them before)

It's is SO hard to pay attention to the road, listening to the pace notes (i can't keep up with it AT ALL) and concentrate on the driving at the same time. I like to consider myself to be at least decent in road racing, but I am just absolutely horrible at this game. I am driving with my eyes, instead of using both eyes AND ears. :S

Any tips?

As mentioned, just go slow. It took me a little while to get into the swing of things but I've never looked back and RBR is by far the funnest game I've ever played now.

Quote from Chrisuu01 :Well don't go fast at first just take it slow not granny slow but don't pretend to be Sebastian Ogier.

OOp, has Loeb been dethroned already?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :It's is SO hard to pay attention to the road, listening to the pace notes (i can't keep up with it AT ALL) and concentrate on the driving at the same time. I like to consider myself to be at least decent in road racing, but I am just absolutely horrible at this game. I am driving with my eyes, instead of using both eyes AND ears. :S

Any tips?

Try using visual notes? You know, the ones displaying at the top of the screen. I belive most of us are using them. Sure, it's not very realistic, but clearly it allows you to push without wasting too much efforts while figuring where to go. And well, this sim requires already a lot of efforts just to stay on the road, so better make things as simple as possible for a start.

Otherwise I would say that the sim requires a sort of adaptation time overall, it is much more challenging than anything else on the market(now that's not that hard, since it has been the only proper rally sim available for almost 7 years now, still up and counting). Just try to keep it on the road as long as possible, do everything not to crash, even if you have to go at only 50% of your possibilities. If you crash you'll just lose your concentration and will crash again and again a few corners later, certainly not a great way to learn.

Quote from MAGGOT :OOp, has Loeb been dethroned already?

Not that I'm following rally so closely, but I belive he has on sheer pace on gravel. Ogier is just too crashy to score regular points and keep up at the champ
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I am driving with my eyes, instead of using both eyes AND ears. :S

I can drive with my ears, keeping a low crashing rate (does this concept even existi? xD). BUT, at night or foggy stages I don't listen to my co-driver and crash a lot untill I get used to these conditions.

I find funny to see how my brain do the opposite thing making me unsafer and slower

An advice, disable visual notes, they are bad for you. Once you only have audio to know the next corner you will listen your co-driver (maybe not for the first day, but the second will). Since I did that step I0m a better rally driver (and feel better by playing under real conditions)
Start the rally carefully. Get use to the pacenotes your co-driver is telling you. Once you get a feel (about a minute into the stage), start giving alittle push. When doing stages online against others, I normally equal their first splits, but win the second and third splits by far.

It's hard to jump in a do great though, it certainly takes some time.
Quote from Whiskey :An advice, disable visual notes, they are bad for you. Once you only have audio to know the next corner you will listen your co-driver (maybe not for the first day, but the second will). Since I did that step I0m a better rally driver (and feel better by playing under real conditions)

What I usually do is follow visual notes for overall direction, try to ignore spoken notes on directions like "easy right"(or whatever it is in English), and focus on the ones not covered by the visual notes("jump", "tighten out", etc). Sure it requires some of concentration, but I think I'm doing decent with that - might not be the way to go however.

In the end this sim does really require a lot of mental work just to keep it on the road, more than anything else. If you're in a bad day you won't go anywhere. But if you manage to do well it is really rewarding.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :What I usually do is follow visual notes for overall direction, try to ignore spoken notes on directions like "easy right"(or whatever it is in English), and focus on the ones not covered by the visual notes("jump", "tighten out", etc). Sure it requires some of concentration, but I think I'm doing decent with that - might not be the way to go however.

Not to judge or anything, there are a lot of techniques and obviously they're all subjective when it comes to being best, but still I wouldn't advice anyone to look at the visual notes any more than a quick glance - It might even be best not to consciously look at them, just leave them in the peripheral zone. You shouldn't really be looking anywhere else than the road. Then again, if you can look at different directions at the same time with some serious cross-eyedness, what am I to know better

The only thing rbr (dunno about any mods or anything, it's been a while since I've actually played it) is that the pacenotes are a bit crude... You've only got three types of corners (flat, fast, k), in real life you would have plus and minus degrees attached to them as well. Then you would have 6 (which, incidentally is also the case in the number system some Scottish people use.)

Incidentally btw, is there some RBR installation for dummies checklist somewhere? I've installed patch 1.02 but still no FFB It used to work on XP, now on win7 not anymore.
Quote from hyntty :
The only thing rbr (dunno about any mods or anything, it's been a while since I've actually played it) is that the pacenotes are a bit crude... You've only got three types of corners (flat, fast, k), in real life you would have plus and minus degrees attached to them as well. Then you would have 6 (which, incidentally is also the case in the number system some Scottish people use.)

in RBR (english) the pace-notes include 2(tight)-6(fast), flat, K, hairpin, tightens, don't cut, fast out, keep, and narrows. so there's much much more that just 3 types of pace note. i use the visual corners too. not to see where the corner is, but to use my peripheral vision to note the colour of the corner. fast corners are more green. the tighter the corner, the more red it becomes.
i play it with the sound off... its not needed imho as the notes generally put me off as they dont come quick enough ( even at a slow pace )
You can change how early the notes are called in options I think mate.

It's nice to see that popularity for RBR seems to be rising a little. Still the best rally sim by a million miles and one of the greatest sims of all time in my opinion!

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG