The online racing simulator
Crash : Windows Aero + LFS
(37 posts, started )
I have a workaround for this, had the same problem:

Right click on your LFS.exe -> Properties
Then go to the compatibility tab and activate following settings:
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition

With these settings the whole Aero will be deactivated when you start LFS and as a benefit: More FPS
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :I have a workaround for this, had the same problem:

- Disable visual themes

With these settings the whole Aero will be deactivated when you start LFS and as a benefit: More FPS

Good tip, thank you
Quote from AlexK@ZW :Hi, one question....to your grafik settings for the NVGF....do you use "Supersampling"?
Open NV Sys Settings and look at 3D settings...

I had this too...but only if i use "Supersampling" if i reduce it to "Multisampling" every thing was good....

...hope it helps...

changed to Multisampling. same problem

- Disable visual themes

still no result. same problem
Quote from CodieMorgan :Win 7 Ultimate 64bit ( at work ) - no issue
Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit ( at home ) - no issue

Why are you playing lfs at work lol ?
Quote from tbofram :Why are you playing lfs at work lol ?

he wasn't. he was testing windows aero.

- Disable visual themes

...hmm...more fps...?
I have already 350+ ^^
THX nice tip!
Quote from AlexK@ZW :...hmm...more fps...?
I have already 350+ ^^
THX nice tip!

but it didn't fix the issue.
I've been getting a similar issue to dadge, when I tab out of LFS or close it sometimes (usually when uptime is over an hour or three) it takes windows out; all I've really found out so far is a potentially irrelevant event viewer entry: "Application popup: dwm.exe - Application Error : The instruction at 0xf7444e02 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read." just before I hafta punch the reset button.

Windows 7 x86_64 Ultimate, i7, some other stuff, will drop spec at the bottom of the post. When I launch LFS aero glass reverts to the blue spec stuff, and half of the time when I quit the taskbar disappears, applications hang, I can ctrl+alt+delete one time and hit shutdown to attempt to close a few apps, but after that it hangs. I get mouse movement and numlock, no other response. I'm running a fresh install of LFS, occasionally use revbouncer and so on for fun but they're not causing the issue; it persists without them. I'm at a loss, tempted to run an XP VM and play in that, but it's hardly a solution.

I ran the graphics card and ssd on my previous mobo/cpu/ram fine, running the same OS. Previous cpu was a wolfdale e8400, 780i reference mobo, some ddr2. This is a bit of a reach, but I've got no idea what's going on. No other app causes this kind of issue.

spec;
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU
8GB DDR3 stuff, gay red heatsinks on it.
GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard
MSI Radeon 6950 Frozr 3 GPU
Radeon HD 3400 for third monitor
M-Audio 2496 card in there for fun
Crucial M4 128GB latest firmware
DWM.exe is a process that takes care of the Aero desktop. If it crashes, it's very likely a drivers issue.
Even if it only happens with LFS?
It's either that or LFS is somehow triggering a previously undiscovered bug in DWM. I fail to see what could LFS be doing wrong here, it's Windows' responsibility to properly restore the compositing desktop.

BTW, it's been a while since I tried that, but IIRC Windows didn't revert to "classic" desktop when I launched LFS on my nVidia laptop. Is this behavior Radeon-specific?
Zotac GTX470 + AMD Phenom 550. It's not really an issue for me any more as I don't play LFS as much as I used to. But if I were to be honest I'd say it was one of the factors that reduced my enjoyment of LFS. Having to reboot every time I exit LFS became quite tedious. I have no issues like this with older and newer games. I'm assuming that the problem is with LFS as this is the only game that causes the problem. But as I said, it's no longer a concern.

Crash : Windows Aero + LFS
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG