The online racing simulator
Quote from JPeace :so epic

Might've been with 2 detection points, to give a fair chance to the guy who's just being passed to take his revenge. With only 1 I do not see the point, really, overtaking is already too easy.

Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm proposing NSS for the next season, Nail Shooting System. Once in a race you can spill out 20 nails from the back of your car to take out the annoying opponent.!

Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Might've been with 2 detection points, to give a fair chance to the guy who's just being passed to take his revenge. With only 1 I do not see the point, really, overtaking is already too easy.

This. Because if you pass into the chicane, then you can open it out for the straight and you'll be miles away so the person can't re-pass again
I can see HRT failing to qualify for this one if they don't improve their times. If the FP2 times were in qualifying they'd be a second off the cut.

FP3 EDIT: I've never ever seen a Renault on fire in my life...
The blown diffuser stuff is appearantly not good by the FIA, but not immediately banned. Leaving a door wide open for mudfest and appeals in which stewards have to decide, where with the same breath they say they wouldn't want to ban half the grid if such a protest would get approved and as such a protest would be in vain. What?! They're making a mess of it again...

Either you put an end to it or either you allow it. But this "it is not allowed but you can get away with it" policy is just a mess.

And about that Ferrari wing; why don't they do such approval checks before it is being used and installed on a car? Or after a first practice session - a lot faster? I'm not into the technical stuff either, but I agree on the Ferrari wing ban. But with the theory that it violates height of the wings rule, shouldn't the RBR front wing be banned too as afaik our F1 commentator said it came on track below the limit, but by a specific system gets put high enough for the end race checks.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :fun fact: do you know a 747 uses approximately 2000kg of fuel just for taxi and take off?

while the 737-800 has a smaller engine than the 747-100, i don't believe that figure...

6.75 lbs (average fuel weight for 1 gallon) x 48,500 gallons (747-100's tanks size) = 148,000kg of fuel... if it spends 2000 of that just taking off, then it's not going to go very far at mach 0.84, let alone have ~2 hours of additional fuel in case their destination airport can't accept their arrival.

how long did it spend taxiing? what was the ground level? what was the cruising altitude? did they follow FAA guidelines on speed? what was the climb rate? ...wind speed, weather?
I know Concorde used 2 tons of fuel just TAXIING. Turbofans [and turbojets in the case of Concorde] are very very inefficient at low speeds so I wouldn't be surprised. And at cruising speeds turbofans are more efficient than you might expect. I'll get some figures out when I get back later
Quote from J@tko :I know Concorde used 2 tons of fuel just TAXIING.

yes, but the concorde's P+W engine provides almost twice (if not more) the static thrust as the 737's CFM engine. plus, the concorde can do over mach 2... neither the 737 or 747 can be flown that fast, it would rip itself apart.
Quote :Typical fueling considerations in a 747-200 or 300 allow for 2,200 pounds of fuel to be used for taxi to take off. A fully loaded aircraft will use 33,000 pounds during take off and climb to cruising altitude. During the first half of the flight, the aircraft will consume an average of 28,000 pounds of fuel per hour. The aircraft lightens as it burns fuel and at the end of the trip, the fuel consumption drops to about 21,000 pounds per hour. Descending and landing consume the least fuel, around 6000 pounds. Unburdened of its fuel load, the aircraft will consume only 1000 pounds of fuel, less than half what it needed to taxi before take off. A reserve of 25,000 to 40,000 pounds is loaded to allow changing airports should it become necessary.

Sauce: http://www.ehow.com/about_6171 ... h-fuel-747-jet-burn_.html

Of course you also need to consider that during take off and taxiing you've got all that fuel to take off too
Quote from J@tko :
Sauce: http://www.ehow.com/about_6171 ... h-fuel-747-jet-burn_.html

Of course you also need to consider that during take off and taxiing you've got all that fuel to take off too

actually, most taxiing is done under idle thrust... you need a little thrust to start rolling once you take off the parking brake, but it pretty much rolls along like a car does.

but i decided to try it out in a fully loaded 747-400 with fsx, despite the fact that it's hardly accurate (i had to re-do the 737-800's config, it was too light and underpowered compared to specs), and i used 18000lbs for takeoff and climb (to [email protected] from 750-ground) alone... 17 pounds per second - per engine at it's worst... but i must say, that's still more than i had expected... that plane is a frigging pig... it makes you wonder how it can make it across the ocean.

anywho, back to f1... how come ferrari is doing so badly this year? they're usually the "i win" cars of the championship...
looking ahead to Canada, the race that fueled high degredation tyres happening in the first place.

I expect some drivers to purposely avoid qualifying to conserve tyre here.

i predict a 5 stopper a possibility.

Overtaking will be a ridiculous maximum, with a double DRS zone on areas that are quite easy to overtake without any Aids.
Quote from Mustafur :Overtaking will be a ridiculous maximum, with a double DRS zone on areas that are quite easy to overtake without any Aids.

Indeed, I belive it'll make people go on ridiculously agressive strategies, since track position will have such a small value here.
Quote from Mustafur :looking ahead to Canada, the race that fueled high degredation tyres happening in the first place.

Overtaking will be a ridiculous maximum, with a double DRS zone on areas that are quite easy to overtake without any Aids.

I expect 2 or 3 stops. The crazy tyre degradation last year was caused by particular circumstances that I doubt will still be in place.
The track has pretty loose tarmac and has always been really hard to rubber up, granted last year it rained after qualiy and washed all the existing rubber off the track, given the tyre it will still be bad imo.
Either way I think Pirrelli have done an awesome job these year with the tyres its really worked well, but i think DRS needs less of an opening in the wing because really its just too much speed boost.

KERS is completely pointless and should be removed entirely.
I think 2 or 3 stops is probably going to be the case, Monaco being a street circuit was only 2 stop because street circuits aren't as abrasive as permanent track facilities.

Montreal is half and half, whilst one part isn't immediatly abrasive, the other part is.
Quote from Mustafur :looking ahead to Canada, the race that fueled high degredation tyres happening in the first place.

nah the weather here has been horrible since april, chances are it will either rain or it won't be too hot unlike last year xD

comment on the redbull video : don't you love idiots xD
Bahrain is now definitely off - the FIA forgot their own rule which says the teams must agree to any amendment to the calendar
Quote from J@tko :Bahrain is now definitely off - the FIA forgot their own rule which says the teams must agree to any amendment to the calendar

Good, they should never go back there. I say keep Turkey and ditch Bahrain, it's a crap track in the middle of a desert that nobody goes to. At least Turkey has a great circuit.
I think Bernie did a slick manoeuvre there. He didn't want to be seen by the Bahraini Royals or other Middle East States as being the decision maker. He simply left it to the technicalities and teams to make the call.

Wasn't it Ted Kravitz who forecast this exact outcome?

There are just too many reasons not to go there this year.
Sup guys? Just saying that tomorrow I'm going to the Canadian gp's open house. Yeah, skipping last day of highschool to grab a few snaps of the Bulls.

If someone else is going, pm me if u wanna meet.

( sadly I can't afford to go to the race this year... Last year was awesome)

Also, I think that it's goin to rain like he'll... So far this week we had 2 really hot and humid days ( hell, today feels like 40) and we still have 2 more days like this to go through... Definitively going to rain hardcore this weekend.
"Hot blown" exhausts banned as from British Grand Prix.

BBC F1

This should set the cat amongst the pigeons. Even more stringent rules on exhausts for 2012 too.
not really sure they should be banned from mid season, double diffusers, despite being against the spirit of the regs weren't banned mid season and neither was the "f" duct.

2012 regs seem pretty clear cut, teams can hardly complain about having to remap their engines for the longer exhausts when they've spent so much time remapping to hot blow the diffusers.

apart from the hot blower issue, i wonder if heidfeld's fire and perez's crash have forced the issue, big side on crash in the renault and you could conceivably get the driver trapped with part of the hot exhaust forced up and over into the cockpit.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG