The online racing simulator
How come NASCAR has no Factory teams?
I've always wondered, considering its a pretty normal site in every other series.
Because nobody is interested in shoving a million dollars out into a 6 car length track that only makes left turns. We already have the ALMS.. Nascar is well.. nascar.

It has ford, Toyota. etc. But for factories.. nada
ROFL doesn't stop sponsorship money from pouring into NASCAR and making it the biggest us motorsports market. LOL

While we're on the subject of factory teams in US racing... Heck Indy doesn't have factory teams either...

No factory chevy, or dallara team and idk if I would count the lotus sponsored KV team as a "factory lotus Indy team"
#4 - JJ72
because the point of a works team is to have technical advantage, while stock car racing is all about making sure no team has a distinct technical advantage.
Quote from JJ72 :because the point of a works team is to have technical advantage, while stock car racing is all about making sure no team has a distinct technical advantage.

What about V8 Supercars?
Quote from JJ72 :because the point of a works team is to have technical advantage, while stock car racing is all about making sure no team has a distinct technical advantage.

That pretty much sums it up. If there was factory teams in nascar, there wouldn't be a big turn out at events because all the lesser teams would'nt even dare make a attempt.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :That pretty much sums it up. If there was factory teams in nascar, there wouldn't be a big turn out at events because all the lesser teams would'nt even dare make a attempt.

but... then why do ferarri bother in f1 then ??
Weren't there some back in the 60s/70s and even up into the 80s?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Weren't there some back in the 60s/70s and even up into the 80s?

Yep.

They even had a separate trophy for the best-finishing non-factory-backed driver.

(Saw this recently on a documentary about Bobby Allison and the Alabama Gang.)

Essentially, every team in NASCAR is factory-backed nowadays to some degree.
#10 - JJ72
Quote from Mustafur :What about V8 Supercars?

There are works teams in V8? I am not actually awared about that.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yep.

They even had a separate trophy for the best-finishing non-factory-backed driver.

(Saw this recently on a documentary about Bobby Allison and the Alabama Gang.)

Thought so. I remember one of either SPEED's shows or CBS (before they lost the rights) explaining bout it or possibly one of the season reviews on about it.

IIRC Evernham's team was factory support in all but name for a few years

ESPN needs Ken Squier back, he's a brilliant narrator

V8s, FPR/HRT
Quote from TehPaws3D :Because nobody is interested in shoving a million dollars out into a 6 car length track that only makes left turns.

Right...

"Manufacturers reportedly poured more than a half-billion dollars into the sport last year [2008] through factory and technical support to the teams, track support, vehicle programs and advertising."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nasca ... ony-cars-coming-to-NASCAR
Most of the teams are backed by factories, but not factory runned teams.

I'll take 43 cars over 25 anyday.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :

Basically, this is your answer. Though dodge has no "factory team", I have seen multiple NASCAR cars (?) down by the windtunnel section in the Chrysler building

also, there was this car which at least carried manufacturer sponsorship:

That's the Evernham car someone mentioned that both Bill Elliott and Kasey Kahne drove. It was sponsored by Dodge Dealers, but had a heavy Dodge backing.

Penske I believe gets that Dodge backing now. Roush/Yates gets Ford backing. Redbull/Gibbs get Toyota backing. Hendrick and RCR gets Chevy backing. Pretty sure that's how it works. Chevy is on many cars so its hard to know if they back any.
Quote from PMD9409 : Redbull/Gibbs get Toyota backing.

I think it's more like Red Bull/MWR gets Toyota backing. They are the only teams running TRD engines, Gibbs builds their own engines if I'm correct.
Quote from JJ72 :There are works teams in V8? I am not actually awared about that.

HRT and FPR
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :Basically, this is your answer. Though dodge has no "factory team", I have seen multiple NASCAR cars (?) down by the windtunnel section in the Chrysler building

also, there was this car which at least carried manufacturer sponsorship:

This is not what i mean, V8 Supercar does this same thing with Holden and ford.
The way I see it is this: Each make has it's own separate engine program for the most part that is highly backed by the manufacture. The susension and aerodynamic work is all left to the teams for the most part.
Quote from SidiousX :I think it's more like Red Bull/MWR gets Toyota backing. They are the only teams running TRD engines, Gibbs builds their own engines if I'm correct.

I think you are yes, but Gibbs gets data from TRD I believe (They converse etc).
Quote from PMD9409 :I think you are yes, but Gibbs gets data from TRD I believe (They converse etc).

Yeah and it gets me irritated sometimes when people are like "Well the Toyota engines have more power than the rest." I say "No, GIBBS engines are more powerful, TRD engines have shit power." There was a test at VIR last year, and Marcos Ambrose and Jeff Gordon decided to swap rides, and Jeff said he couldn't believe how much less power the TRD engines actually have.
I remember that exact test you are talking about. I remember how they tried to cover that up by saying: "VIR is alot like Infineon. Doesn't require alot of power because it has many slow corners, and rear tire wear is important. The last thing we would want to do is destroy our rear tires."
Quote from PMD9409 :I remember that exact test you are talking about. I remember how they tried to cover that up by saying: "VIR is alot like Infineon. Doesn't require alot of power because it has many slow corners, and rear tire wear is important. The last thing we would want to do is destroy our rear tires."

because it's impossible to apply a little less throttle when needed excuse invalid. try again. Especially with Marcos Ambrose behind the wheel...

EDIT: I am struggling to find a time and a place where less horsepower is a GOOD thing... within reason of course, a 5,000 horespower beast would be nearly undriveable
My excuse would have been: "I'm sorry, we don't have enough funding, mind helping?"
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :
EDIT: I am struggling to find a time and a place where less horsepower is a GOOD thing... within reason of course, a 5,000 horespower beast would be nearly undriveable

Less fuel consumption maybe.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG