The online racing simulator
Master volume control
(19 posts, started )
Master volume control
Can it be added to the audio controls, it's great having all the individual adjustments but some times I just want to lower the volume of everything without having the remember the exact previous settings.
isn't there that already?
Go LFS/Options/Sound? :O
Did you check before you posted that? lol

Car sound volume
Skid volume boost
Wind volume boost
Echo volume boost
Music volume
Interface volume
Quote from FPVaaron :Did you check before you posted that? lol

Car sound volume
Skid volume boost
Wind volume boost
Echo volume boost
Music volume
Interface volume

lol, how about that interface volume? or is that meaning only interface, and not whole game?

Anyway, Have you got speakers which has it's own master volume? Isn't that would be solve the problem? Or if you have Windows there is sound settings use that.

I might sound bit harsh but I don't really see the point why we need really a master volume?

EDIT: oops, so you want to decrease in all by one? Then I might put +0,5 but for me, pretty useless

But, if making command like Shift+N+Down Arrow or Shift+N+UpArrow and twice Shift+N will put sound on/off
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :lol, how about that interface volume? or is that meaning only interface, and not whole game?

Anyway, Have you got speakers which has it's own master volume? Isn't that would be solve the problem? Or if you have Windows there is sound settings use that.

I might sound bit harsh but I don't really see the point why we need really a master volume?

EDIT: oops, so you want to decrease in all by one? Then I might put +0,5 but for me, pretty useless

But, if making command like Shift+N+Down Arrow or Shift+N+UpArrow and twice Shift+N will put sound on/off

Yes all by one, I have speakers and amp which has a master volume control, however I am using windows XP and do not have a volume mixer on the task bar, the reason I ask for master volume is that some times I use the mic for team speak ect, I cannot hear people speak over the sound of the game.

I don't want to disable sound all together.

Close to all other games have a master volume control, although you may deem is pointless, others don't. I don't see any benefit in not having apposed to having one.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Anyway, Have you got speakers which has it's own master volume? Isn't that would be solve the problem? Or if you have Windows there is sound settings use that.

that's taking the easy way out, and not entirely practical. for me to change the volume on my tv, requires me to get up and change it on the tv, because my remote is broken. the only button that works on it is the input select button.

i like this suggestion, but only because the STD cars are super quiet in relation to the GTR's and the top-end SS cars. (the BF1 is really loud - changing back and forth between cars can be disorienting due to the volume differential) if they could do it on a car-by-car or a class-by-class basis, i'd be fine with that.
#7 - Mauni
+1
Master volume would be useful to level the volume of LFS with rest of the windows' sounds.

E:
Quote from FPVaaron :Yes all by one, I have speakers and amp which has a master volume control, however I am using windows XP and do not have a volume mixer on the task bar, the reason I ask for master volume is that some times I use the mic for team speak ect, I cannot hear people speak over the sound of the game.

This is so true.
Quote from FPVaaron :Yes all by one, I have speakers and amp which has a master volume control, however I am using windows XP and do not have a volume mixer on the task bar, the reason I ask for master volume is that some times I use the mic for team speak ect, I cannot hear people speak over the sound of the game.

I don't want to disable sound all together.

Close to all other games have a master volume control, although you may deem is pointless, others don't. I don't see any benefit in not having apposed to having one.

Ok, after now you explained little more, then I can understand this way more better. Now im ready to give +1 for this

I have master volume for Mic input/output and others for other master volume, that might explain why I really could not get it, until now lol.

Quote from bunder9999 :
i like this suggestion, but only because the STD cars are super quiet in relation to the GTR's and the top-end SS cars. (the BF1 is really loud - changing back and forth between cars can be disorienting due to the volume differential) if they could do it on a car-by-car or a class-by-class basis, i'd be fine with that.

For me, I don't care about car sounds as in real life F1 cars are loud, and STD not that loud. But yeah, hearing the car sounds are actually important in LFS gameplay.
I was going to mention windows 7 / vista volume mixer, it has the ability to do what you need at a basic level.

Did some google and found this, not tested it personally. http://www.actualsolution.com/
Attached images
speakers_mixer.jpg
Quote from bunder9999 :

They are meant to be like this.

If you are pootling along in your XFG and a GTR goes screaming past, then it needs to be significantly louder than your hatchback.
Quote from Bean0 :They are meant to be like this.

If you are pootling along in your XFG and a GTR goes screaming past, then it needs to be significantly louder than your hatchback.

Yes, but people usually leave in houses, were you have neighbors, which less than 1% want to hear you GTR or SS screaming during 2 hours. And if you have that at a social acceptable volume then you won't here anything about your street cars...

A master volume would be usefull for people who not live in the middle of the Sahara with no people around they in a 50km radius
Quote from Whiskey :A master volume would be usefull for people who not live in the middle of the Sahara with no people around they in a 50km radius

There's this cool thing called volume control on your amp. Lowering volume at software level is not only retarded, but it also reduces quality of sound.
Nah, I change windows volume with the keyboard and then adjust Winamp's volume

But it would be easier to just adjust LFS (if it's done per car basis it wouldn't be needed even to adjust from the 2nd week onwards).
Quote from E.Reiljans :There's this cool thing called volume control on your amp. Lowering volume at software level is not only retarded, but it also reduces quality of sound.

I don't know about LFS, but lowering volume in music players makes the equalizer's low end more manageable. Cleaner bass.
Quote from Breizh :I don't know about LFS, but lowering volume in music players makes the equalizer's low end more manageable. Cleaner bass.

That is true, boosting DB through software lowers the quality but lowering it does not.

It may if you have low quality speakers with a lot of white noise.
Quote from FPVaaron :That is true, boosting DB through software lowers the quality but lowering it does not.

It may if you have low quality speakers with a lot of white noise.

Actually it's the other way around - with weak <10W speakers you won't notice it, with 100W+ stereo / 500W+ 5.1 set you will.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Actually it's the other way around - with weak <10W speakers you won't notice it, with 100W+ stereo / 500W+ 5.1 set you will.

That's funny, I have a 5.1 1200 watt system, and lowering volume with software does not lower the sound quality, DB boosting with software however upsets the bass and treble precision.

http://i10.photobucket.com/alb ... 2/FPVaaron/DSC00275-1.jpg

Edit: Watts does not determine the quality of a speaker.
Quote from FPVaaron :Edit: Watts does not determine the quality of a speaker.

Yeah, they do determine power of speaker tho</captain obvious mode>

Have you tried extremes (in case you don't notice it on minor volume decreasing).. such as 1% in Windows and 90% on amp? If you still can't notice it, well.. no idea why I do.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yeah, they do determine power of speaker tho</captain obvious mode>

Have you tried extremes (in case you don't notice it on minor volume decreasing).. such as 1% in Windows and 90% on amp? If you still can't notice it, well.. no idea why I do.

I often leave the master volume on the amp the same and while watching movies/tv shows or listening to music I regulate between 25% volume to 400% volume through VLC media player. 100% seems optimum for low quality audio as above that sounds distorted and in order to listen at high DB, I must turn down VLC and increase the amp master volume.
That is an example of software DB boosting.

If using itunes, 100% volume is not DB boosted and does not sound distorted, nor does lowering the volume through iTunes software.

Back on topic to the thread title.

I've made a second copy of LFS which is set to low volume to save changing multiple levels every time I want to turn it down when I'm on teamspeak of skype, I should not need to have a second copy on my computer for the only reason of lower volume, a master volume control in LFS Software is not an over complicated request, it's beneficial for users like me and people who do not require it are not forced to use it.

problem?

Master volume control
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG