The online racing simulator
Playstion network "intruded"
(344 posts, started )
Quote from DevilDare :Sorry. Dont quite understand what you're saying.

I mean you're payin' for peer to peer playing lol.. what are you paying for exactly then, those childlish avatars?
Uhm, you're paying for an online service. Just like you do in say, WoW. You buy the game, but without the online service from Blizzard, you cant play it.

Again, you seem so butthurt over this massive failure from Sony, that you must bring up Microsoft in every single post of yours...

I wont bother replying. Another 360 v PS3 flamewar is the last thing I want to be in right now.
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm, you're paying for an online service. Just like you do in say, WoW. You buy the game, but without the online service from Blizzard, you cant play it.

That's ONE game, but you can play LFS for free as much as you want..
Again, you seem to think that these monthly subscription plans were only just invented by the evil wizards at Microsoft or something, ignoring the fact that they existed long before the name XBOX was even whispered.

Anyway...

Quote :I wont bother replying. Another 360 v PS3 flamewar is the last thing I want to be in right now.

Quote from Boris Lozac :I mean you're payin' for peer to peer playing lol.. what are you paying for exactly then, those childlish avatars?

Quote from DevilDare :Uhm, you're paying for an online service. Just like you do in say, WoW. You buy the game, but without the online service from Blizzard, you cant play it.

Again, you seem so butthurt over this massive failure from Sony, that you must bring up Microsoft in every single post of yours...

I wont bother replying. Another 360 v PS3 flamewar is the last thing I want to be in right now.

What Boris means, is that with Xbox Live you are paying for an online gaming service that essentially you host yourself (or at least, other users do). There are no dedicated servers, it's all hosted by Joe Public over their ADSL/Cable connection...the host can rage quit, all connected players have a ping to XBL + to the hoster (and back again), so your online experience is dictated by how much the person randomly chosen to host pays for their connection/what area they are in/if their family is torrenting at the time/etc/etc...
Quote from Boris Lozac :I can't believe what you're guys are saying.. comparing mmo's to the paying for EVERY game online..

I wouldn't pay it because I can't stand the general atmosphere of console online gaming, but £20 per year is dirt cheap, and, although I've got no idea if true, I've heard that it helps make the service a little better.
Quote from DeKo :I wouldn't pay it because I can't stand the general atmosphere of console online gaming, but £20 per year is dirt cheap, and, although I've got no idea if true, I've heard that it helps make the service a little better.

It's dirt cheap for you, i have ~300 euros sallary.. And the money is not the point, it's the fact that they are charging for P2P gaming ffs.. If every game had dedicated servers cause of that i would gladly pay..
Quote from Boris Lozac :It's dirt cheap for you, i have ~300 euros sallary.. And the money is not the point, it's the fact that they are charging for P2P gaming ffs.. If every game had dedicated servers cause of that i would gladly pay..

You're very welcome not to pay it. Anyway, if you can buy a £200 console, £20 isn't an issue. If you can't afford a console, why worry about the Live?
I can afford a console but i prefer if i don't have to pay for online gaming, i'm already paying for internet.. and they're the ONLY one with that idiotic system.. don't be surprised if every console simply 'has' to implement it in the next-gen, maybe even the PC.. i'm sure most of you would love that wouldn't you, 'what's 20£'..
Quote from Bean0 :What Boris means, is that with Xbox Live you are paying for an online gaming service that essentially you host yourself (or at least, other users do). There are no dedicated servers, it's all hosted by Joe Public over their ADSL/Cable connection...the host can rage quit, all connected players have a ping to XBL + to the hoster (and back again), so your online experience is dictated by how much the person randomly chosen to host pays for their connection/what area they are in/if their family is torrenting at the time/etc/etc...

I do agree that I think it's a bit naff that you have to pay for the use of a publically hosted intranet in effect, but also for pretty much any or all content that ever comes out, ever.

And I can see why many people can't justify it logically, even if they physically buy it (I can't)
I have both a PS3 and a 360. I (sadly) pay for the Live service.

#1: The online "playing" is no different than on the PS3.
#2: The community is "most of the time" worse than on the PS3. *
#3: The only advantage I see is the "Party".

Guess what, if anyone thinks those parties are worth money, they have clearly lost their minds or like to waste their money. Hop on TS, Vent, or Skype. Many other options instead of paying for it.

*I think this is because alot of kids see things as "You have to pay for it so it must be better". This thinking makes more kids play it = worse.

Plus I use my PS3 for much more than just games, and don't have to pay a dime for any of it.

If money of mine gets "stolen" from this mess from Sony. I won't complain, because technically it was an accident. I do complain about Microsoft, because their intent is to steal your money.
Finaly someone else with a voice of reason.. You're practically paying for cross-game chat, which is fckin redicolous, why would i chat with someone playing a different game then i do.. Everything else is the same as PSN.. maybe even worse depending how you look at it..

And why have i even brought this up? Not because PS3vs360 flamewar which is stupid, but those Becky's remarks got to me.. If anyone pushed technology and progress, it's Sony. They also could've start charging for normal PSN any time, or even before this gen started (they certanly knew M$ will charge for it), but they didn't... etc.
M$ asking money for their live service has nothing to do with the corporate asstards at Sony installing rootkits on our PC's, killing PS3 OtherOS feature or leaking my personal information TWICE to some lousy hackers.

Sony used to be one of the greatest japanese companies in the 80's and 90's, it's a shame how wrong they have gone. Clearly the wrong type of people (politicians) are running it now.
Quote from Matrixi :M$ asking money for their live service has nothing to do with the corporate asstards at Sony installing rootkits on our PC's, killing PS3 OtherOS feature or leaking my personal information TWICE to some lousy hackers.

Sony used to be one of the greatest japanese companies in the 80's and 90's, it's a shame how wrong they have gone. Clearly the wrong type of people (politicians) are running it now.

This.

Please, PS3 fanboys. I know you're butthurt, but there is no need to bring in Microsoft and 360 in this discussion. They are not the ones who screwed up here. The thread is about Sony.
Quote from Boris Lozac :And why have i even brought this up? Not because PS3vs360 flamewar which is stupid, but those Becky's remarks got to me.. If anyone pushed technology and progress, it's Sony.

I am sorry I pushed your sensibilities too far!

I meagrely pointed out why Sony have been targeted by the hackers. If it makes you feel better you can rest assured that I haven't personally done any hacking of this kind in the last 15 years, and these days my job involves making sure credit card and personal information remains safe from people like I used to be.

All I did was explain why Sony are the target of this type of attack, because of what Sony as a company represents to the hackers.

You can cry foul all you like, and say that MS are worse, but MS never lobbied for new laws that directly effected your perceived rights on the internet. You can try and cite MS for introducing the concept of paid gaming, but the real culprit there is Brad McQuaid, Steve Clover, and Bill Trost of 989 Studios - owned by Sony - who introduced the world to the concept of subscription gaming.

The fact that MS charge a subscription for a slightly different form of online gaming does not change the fact that it was Sony who came up with the concept.

So you can cite MS are evil all you like, and in fact the hackers would probably agree with you - but they'll quickly point out that Sony is worse, and so Sony will remain their focus.

Sony has two options, they can either raise their game and start being diligent about the data they hold, or they can change their business practices so that somebody else becomes the focus.

The problem is, and the reason they remain a target, is that Sony will cost evaluate these two options and pluck for a third - do some PR repair work in a few months, use taxpayer funded police to trace some hackers to serve, and carry on as normal.
Are you kidding me? If you don't like Microsofts product, don't pay for it. That's how capitalism works. Apparently quite a few people happily pay for their service, no matter how much of a ripoff it is.

Sony by far exceeds this. What they're doing and have previously done simply isn't acceptable.
Quote from Becky Rose :I am sorry I pushed your sensibilities too far!

Didn't mean it quite like that Having troubles sometimes finding the right frases in english to express myself..

So you're saying that Everquest is responsible for Microsoft charging for Xbox Live? Ok, maybe they first introduced the concept of MMORPG's, how's that a bad thing, they're quite popular now.. and offcourse those kind of games demand some kind of monthly and annual subscriptions. But if they were that 'evil' they would charge for PS3 online playing.. which they don't, even if they totally could.. They brought so many cool things in technology and gaming, i really don't give a damn them 'spying' on me how much i play PES..
Quote from DevilDare :This.

Please, PS3 fanboys. I know you're butthurt, but there is no need to bring in Microsoft and 360 in this discussion. They are not the ones who screwed up here. The thread is about Sony.

"Butthurt" again- it must weigh heavily on your mind

Anyway, they messed up and it's easy to hate Sony. They're this huge villainous corporation, and they're going to eat your children. Oh no wait, I just completely blew this all out of proportion and should get a grip because there are worse people in the world.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Have you been near the facilities (maybe a friends house) that holds a PS3? I heard that they can track you down just by beeing near it..

Hahahaha, friend.
Quote from Boris Lozac :But if they were that 'evil' they would charge for PS3 online playing.. which they don't, even if they totally could..

I'm really not qualified to discuss in depth on the issue as i'm not a Playstation owner. An ex left me a playstation 2 once and I gave it away...

But as I understand it PSN does charge for it's plus service - so what in effect the free PSN is is a free demo version where you pay for the content you use individually. Does this accurately sum it up?

*shrug* It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Sony are after your money, the method they use is the one that they feel will generate them the most money. That doesn't sound terribly "noble" to me. I wouldn't expect any company to act in a noble way frankly, so it's no fault of Sony. I just don't see the point of idolising them.

All of this is far far away from the original point though, which is that Sony were targetted because of what they represent, rather than any specific ill.

Although serving court papers on the friends of the hackers probably didn't win them any merit...
I can play Dead Rising 2 online for free on my PS3. Where as on Xbox I have to pay £22.99!!!
Quote from Becky Rose :
But as I understand it PSN does charge for it's plus service - so what in effect the free PSN is is a free demo version where you pay for the content you use individually. Does this accurately sum it up?

Basic PSN is the one that's most important, and that's online playing, free demos, etc.. and that is free, PSN+ is just an extra, like earlier demos, some free PSN games now and then etc.. Microsoft is charging for basic (P2P!) Online playing, that's what's outreagous..
Other stuff, like i said, doesn't bother me what they 'represent', or if they are 'spying' on me..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I can play Dead Rising 2 online for free on my PS3. Where as on Xbox I have to pay £22.99!!!

Stating that makes you a Sony fanboy!

Playstion network "intruded"
(344 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG