The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z30 (NOW Z34 - old content / old physics / many updates)
(1455 posts, closed, started )
Thanks for all your hard work, Scawen! I've yet to find anymore unreported bugs with z31 and the skidmark fix is working awesomely and not hurting the FPS in my crappy lappy.
Quote from Scawen :No, that is not possible and it's not easy to add. You choose start grid / pits / start lights together as a set.

Ahh I thought that the three were separate things, good to know
yeah!) thx, stable barriers) but again i dont see many textures in game, i have GeForce GTX 580
Quote from Hallen :Windows 7 is very strange about what processes it allows to write to either of the Program Files directories. It seems to only allow Setup programs of some type to do that. After that, it disallows anything else to write there programatically. iRacing has massive problems with this with regards to its updates and their tech support is clueless about how to fix it.

It's not strange, it's actually a sound and simple concept. Point the tech support (and tell them to pass it on to the developers) to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx and they shall not be clueless any longer.
Quote from morpha :It's not strange, it's actually a sound and simple concept. Point the tech support (and tell them to pass it on to the developers) to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx and they shall not be clueless any longer.

Thanks for the link. And just so we're on the same page, all the User Account Control stuff that can be turned off is turned off on my machine. It's still best to put programs like LFS outside of the Program Files directory.
It is strange with regards to other versions of Windows though. That's why I used that word.
Quote from Scawen :No, I think that would have been the same with the old version. Watching frame by frame with forces mode on, I see that that front left wheel that has penetrated the wall, is (between the first and second collisions) too deep (downwards) into the wall to detect the top surface. But at some point, the wheel is high enough to detect that top surface. It thinks it is very deep into the object at that point and must provide a great upward force. You can see the extreme tyre deformation at that moment that the "second collision" occurs.

That's not realistic, but it's what is happening, and the contact detection is actually working as designed in that replay.

I've been "studying" the new collision system on BL1: I've always enjoyed flying into the air in the straight by hitting the banners. I tried doing it in Z30 and Z31 too (20+ times) to compare the car's reaction.
Here's my conclusion: the car seems to fly less, but still does. Watching the replay at x0.25 speed, I can see the car going right through the banner before being ejected (mostly with the tyre being extremely deformed).
Which leads to a little question: could this issue be solved by increasing the frequency of collision checks?

And on a little offtopic: when you drive on multiple ramp1 objects, the tyre tends to "fall" in the small gaps between the ramps, and makes the car jump (even with Z31). Will this be fixed in the physics update? (as well as unrealistic tyres bounces after a jump)
I've made a server for Z31 if anyone wants to test it out, [SR] Z31 Racing.

Everything works as said, with race positions and tyre rubber
Those things you mention are regulated on the client side but OK
Alright.

On FernBay X/Y the little "Loop Road" near the beachy area with that really hard to get out off stick sand, The loop road to the right of that (Or left) that goes up the hill and back down does not appear on the map. It just looks like someone is driving through thin air :P
Quote from cargame.nl :Those things you mention are regulated on the client side but OK

Really? so why do we have a new dedi exe?
Just for the looks.

Well, file size differs this time but not because of what you mentioned. I still run the Z30 dedi server and there are skid marks and position list right now.

However if a client still has Z30 then it does not show (for him/her). I know that because I redirected a team member to this topic after complaining he didn't see a position list and skid marks
Quote from numbazZ :...but again i dont see many textures in game, i have GeForce GTX 580

Throw that useless rubbish out of the window and get yourself a 8500 GT, AGP preferably and you'll be singing while having enormous fun racing in LFS.
Quote from sermilan :Throw that useless rubbish out of the window and get yourself a 8500 GT, AGP preferably and you'll be singing while having enormous fun racing in LFS.

LFS uses the processor power more than the graphics card so it dosen't make a big difference.
Quote from cargame.nl :Do those pieces of paper make part of this official patch or is it for another milestone?

Six sheets of things to do is just for this patch. But don't worry, a lot of things are crossed out (done) already and most of them are A5 size, not A4.

Quote from numbazZ :yeah!) thx, stable barriers) but again i dont see many textures in game, i have GeForce GTX 580

Without looking into what that card is or what memory it has, etc... my first thought is you are running out of texture memory. Do you have custom textures installed? Sometimes they are very high resolution.

- Try using low res textures
- Try reducing your Texture filtering
- Try reducing Full-scene antialiasing
Scawen
Thanks for the patch, have long been waiting for him.
But there is a suggestion, I think many would like to adjust the wind speed itself. What do you think about this?
I've found a little open/non-open track inconsistency with Z30 (could not unlock Z31 yet, i don't have internet on my racing machine ).
Track: Kyoto
Attached images
track_map_kyoto_ring.png
lfs_00000004.jpg
lfs_00000003.jpg
z30 was fine for me, z31 however, I get small stuttering every 10 seconds or so.
I'm experiencing this on KY3x.
My FPS are fine in z30+.
When It skips the sound crackles slightly, if that helps..
Quote from Scawen : most of them are A5 size, not A4.

I already was wondering how big your hand writing is yes
Quote from pezia :I've found a little open/non-open track inconsistency with Z30 (could not unlock Z31 yet, i don't have internet on my racing machine ).
Track: Kyoto

It's meant to be like that. Open configs miss all barriers etc.
Quote from cargame.nl :I already was wondering how big your hand writing is yes

Font size 72 pixels))) joke. That's what makes Scawen I like and LFS in the future will be the most
I have suspected Z30 glitch. Happened in one endu race at AS5R last week to one of the participants _twice_. I tried to get some info from him, as what version was he running, but he told me only that his antivirus was updating, no answer since then, so i'm posting this, because it's at least funny to look at.
In case you want to look at it, watch the 002 car towards the end of the replay, approx. 1:25. Exactly at the place, where the tarmac turns dark-ish, he's shot in the air and flies out of bounds. The second case was also exactly at the same spot, happened only to him.
Attached files
Kick 2.mpr - 261.3 KB - 190 views
A feeling that there is not enough parts of the road in this area.
Quote from ATHome :It's meant to be like that. Open configs miss all barriers etc.

Missing barriers are fine, but the blue-yellow things are also missing.
Quote from pezia :Missing barriers are fine, but the blue-yellow things are also missing.

it's still a track element, as well as the corner distance signs.
Quote from DarkKostas :I have a 2nd home which is 500meters away from this one and hasn't internet connection, so i can't plug it in even for a second

Use your phone as GPRS modem :P LFS unlock shouldn't take more than 100 KB of traffic.
Quote from Scawen :Without looking into what that card is or what memory it has, etc... my first thought is you are running out of texture memory. Do you have custom textures installed? Sometimes they are very high resolution.

- Try using low res textures
- Try reducing your Texture filtering
- Try reducing Full-scene antialiasing

GTX 580's have 1.5 and 3.0 GB versions, I doubt videoRAM is the problem for him.

(Unless he's running Crysis at same time)
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z30 (NOW Z34 - old content / old physics / many updates)
(1455 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG