The online racing simulator
The Good Old Hockey Game
(56 posts, started )
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Why two more in Toronto however? Ideally give Winnipeg a team back, and one in Nova Scotia

the only reasons i can think of are the ones i mentioned earlier... all the corporate elite around toronto usually snag up all the seats before anyone else can buy them, plus they're overpriced like everything else in toronto.

plus toronto is the biggest city in ontario, and that includes ottawa. thing with the ottawa area though, is that montreal is also close by, so they have some choice that doesn't require buying a passport and spending 2 hours at the border on top of the 3-4 hour drive each way.

in all honesty, i think the only two viable places in ontario for a new team would be toronto or hamilton.

don't get me wrong, it would be nice to get the jets and the nordiques back, but they would have to either remove dead southern teams or expand, and expansions require massive scheduling changes to accommodate, even moreso than moving a team or two.
How easy would it be to move Phoenix?

Hamilton wouldn't work against CFL would it?
Quote from EliteAti :Does Buffalo still have the old dude ( Jeanneret ) screaming in the commentary box? Dudes hilarious.

Yes, I live about an hour from Buffalo so I always get the local broadcast, Jeanneret is great. Its too bad most of their games got picked up by VS(national network) so I have to deal with their garbage announcers for much of the first round.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hamilton wouldn't work against CFL would it?

I don't think the CFL has any impact on us getting an NHL team. The Ti-Cats play their games at Ivor Wynne Stadium (for the time being, who knows if they'll actually build the new stadium for the Commonwealth Games)

Quote :Gary Bettman hasn't stopped trying to pull a last-minute rabbit out of his hat to save the Phoenix Coyotes.

Bettman has been working on a plan to help the city of Glendale raise money through a bond sale that would pass the scrutiny of the Goldwater Institute, the NHL commissioner told the Fan 590 in Toronto Wednesday.

"What the city of Glendale has been doing, with our help and with (potential buyer) Matt Hulsizer, is trying to figure out another way to do this where it doesn't involve having to sell the bonds in a way that the Goldwater Institute can interfere," Bettman said. "That's what everybody has been working on."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011 ... l-working-to-save-coyotes

I'm not 100% sure what he means about that, but come on Gary, give it a rest. Phoenix is a pointless team.

and someone asked about the Jets...

Quote :Bettman was cagey when asked whether he had been in discussions with True North Sports and Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman, who is spearheading the effort to bring NHL hockey back to Winnipeg.

"I'm not going to either confirm or deny that," the commissioner said. I think it would be fair to say that I don't have a deal for the club to go anywhere else right now.

"If I had to get to a deal at some point, my guess is I could probably arrange it."

http://www.google.com/hostedne ... xxzyILTroLw?docId=6621237
(oh boy, more bumpage)

this is one thing i didn't consider earlier, but it might have some influence on whether Winnipeg gets the Jets back... the Manitoba Moose AHL team uses Winnipeg's stadium for games...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hock ... /2011/04/21/18052451.html

Quote :During the playoff run, the Moose have instituted a policy where players are not allowed to talk about the possibility of an NHL return and how it might affect them.

So rather than risk double-booking a stadium (be it Hamilton or Winnipeg), they'll probably waste more money on keeping the team in Phoenix, at least for another year.
What the heck happened to the Canucks and the Habs, nothing like just laying there and taking it up the wazoo.

Been some pretty intense games so far, any predictions for the final?

AAnt
Canucks are done, finir. They came out with fire of a hundred fires, and now they are just some sizzling embers, waiting to be put out for good.
Quote from AtomAnt :Been some pretty intense games so far, any predictions for the final?

AAnt

i haven't watched much hockey this year, but if i had to wager a guess, i'd say boston, philly, detroit, and chicago for the final four. after that, it's anyone's guess...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Canucks are done, finir. They came out with fire of a hundred fires, and now they are just some sizzling embers, waiting to be put out for good.

Not so fast young Master Dawes, after watching them almost blow the Chicago series, I have to admit they just may have what it takes. Detroit will be a big factor in these playoffs.

AAnt
Quote from bunder9999 :i haven't watched much hockey this year, but if i had to wager a guess, i'd say boston, philly, detroit, and chicago for the final four. after that, it's anyone's guess...

I could see a Boston Detroit Final, as for Winnipeg vs Hamilton for a new team, I would give the edge to Winnipeg due to RIM's leader wanting to control so much of what would go on.

Also if you have ever driven in Hamilton you know that all those One Way streets suck, the downtown core is really outdated and snow removal in the winter months is far below many other Canadian cites.

Building a Major sports venue in the Suburbs is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.

How many times have the tiger cats been on the verge of going under and they play before the snow hits.

I myself would think SASK has the money and willingness to get the job done, so much room for expansion for new hotels, roads, and a Kick as stadium. Kee4p in mind SASK has the best job rate and with the Potash mills being so profitable. I'm sure they would keep the stands full with workers who have disposable cash, everyone in Hamilton is broke, same applies to Winnipeg, crime, high umemployment take a toll on sports venues

But we all know that weasel Betman will go with what makes him look best.

Opinion?

AAnt
Quote from AtomAnt :Not so fast young Master Dawes, after watching them almost blow the Chicago series, I have to admit they just may have what it takes. Detroit will be a big factor in these playoffs.

AAnt

Oracle and a WTH game 7

WTH at Bruins too
http://www.bizjournals.com/pho ... rom-glendale-to-keep.html

Quote :The Glendale City Council will vote Tuesday on a new Phoenix Coyotes plan that involves the Arizona city coming up with another $25 million to keep the team from moving to Winnipeg. The city and National Hockey League say the new $25 million allotment gives the NHL (which owns the Coyotes) and city another season to sell the team to “a qualified ownership group that will be committed to retaining the team in Glendale”.

which they apparently approved.

why doesn't phoenix just give it up?
IIHF World Championship
1/4 finals
2nd period
Canada-Russia 1:0

1:2 final
I was waiting for penalties after two goals and 1:1 from penalty like rallies from red line.
Many guys after Stanley cup playing now in teams - Nash, Skinner, Ovechkin, Afinogenov, Kovalchuk
I'm hoping Finland makes it to the finals. Russia ain't easy to defeat but we've already won them once in this tournament.

Mikael Granlund is the best playmaker from Finland EVER, and if someone can get us to the finals it's he. Only if we had a natural goal scorer like Teemu Selänne...
Frankly I dont follow NHL lately and I dont know many new players (I recognize Koivu, Ruutu - although I remember more Jarko , not playing at IIHFWC). In fact Granlund made great move from behind the goal at 15th 1st period.

Finland-Russia
1:0 ca. 6th min. 2nd period - looking forward for Granlund's scoring on youtube to paste
2:0 8th 2nd period - this match would be epic! First goal with puck delivered in high, second with 0 angle rebound.
3:0

For sure, you opt for all scandinavian final Today Swedes won Czechs - it reminds me Real-Barcelona game, with Czechs playing nice (neat and imaginative teamwork) but not succesful - the more they attacked the more counterattacks they severed.
Sweden-Czechy 5:2
WE'RE IN THE FINALS! Granlund 1+1. I'm quite ready to name Granlund the best offensive player of the whole tournament. That first goal was epic. He's in the NHL next year.

We're going to have a legendary finals with Sweden and Finland. We've always been rivals in sports and the most memorable sport events for us usually happen to include beating Sweden. No matter who wins gold the game will most certainly be the best game in this tournament.
Unfortunately for Finns, Sweden will take it. They shut down Czechs completely and they will do so to Finland aswell.
so now the word is that the atlanta thrashers are coming to canada.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports ... -be-sold-for-110-million/

i only heard about this a couple days ago, but apparently bettman has shot it down already...

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/at ... g-are-unfounded-ownership

Quote :"I'm not sure why these stories are starting, but I'm not going to weigh in on something that is purely speculative and made up," Bettman said. "The fact of the matter is, we're focused on making Phoenix work, and that's where we're directing our attention right now."

oy, vey.
Atlanta already lost their NHL team once and cant do anything with the Trashers (except lose their star players), Winnipeg is a much better choice for a team since it its a great hockey market, they need to get the Jets back. Oh and Bettman sucks.
Go Bolts! :banana:
Quote from EliteAti :Atlanta already lost their NHL team once and cant do anything with the Trashers (except lose their star players), Winnipeg is a much better choice for a team since it its a great hockey market, they need to get the Jets back. Oh and Bettman sucks.

Would be better if Pheonix went back there since technically that's Winnepeg's old franchise, Bettman seems dead set on not letting the Coyotes die though.
Quote from UncleBenny :Would be better if Pheonix went back there since technically that's Winnepeg's old franchise, Bettman seems dead set on not letting the Coyotes die though.

It would be, but Atlanta is already gone. They have insane potential, but when you draw ~7k viewers / game and make 20mill losses / year, you know you wont last long. Yotes are owned by the league so its special for them, they have a very potential team aswell - been in the playoffs like twice in row. However if they lose Bryzgalov who will hit free agency this summer, no playoffs for them anymore. And that might snowball even further.
Quote from bunder9999 :this is one thing i didn't consider earlier, but it might have some influence on whether Winnipeg gets the Jets back... the Manitoba Moose AHL team uses Winnipeg's stadium for games...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hock ... /2011/04/21/18052451.html

So rather than risk double-booking a stadium (be it Hamilton or Winnipeg), they'll probably waste more money on keeping the team in Phoenix, at least for another year.

so much for the Manitoba moose, word now is that if Atlanta moves to Winnepeg, Manitoba is moving to St. John's Newfoundland, previous home to the Toronto Marlies (then called the St. John's Maple Leafs)... again, nothing is finalized or confirmed.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hocke ... 1/05/21/breen-hockey.html

which doesn't bode well for Vancouver, as they would lose their AHL "training" team, but it has been suggested that they'll take Atlanta's old team from Chicago.

http://bleacherreport.com/arti ... nchise-moving-to-st-johns

The Good Old Hockey Game
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG