The online racing simulator
Apple's latest feature
(83 posts, started )
What does it matter if they can tell where you have been?
So what, I have nothing to hide. If anyone wants to know where I have been they just have to ask.
Mobile phone companies already know where you are whenever your phone is switched on, so it's hardly an issue that the iphone saves where you have been.
If they could predict in advance where i was going to be at any given time, now that may be worth concern .
#27 - 5haz
You are never safe from the Jewish space lizards.
Quote from Fuse5 :jack, dood
this is serious business
they know WHERE your toilet is!!!

do they? mine isnt on 3g cos i dont want to pay roaming charges, they are a bitch in spain. only time im online is with wifi. so its not a very detailed journey of mine :L
Quote from jwardy :do they? mine isnt on 3g cos i dont want to pay roaming charges, they are a bitch in spain. only time im online is with wifi. so its not a very detailed journey of mine :L

You don't need 3G for GPS.
lol, the kings of offtopic never bother to read anything on what they're spamming on..
It doesn't have ANYTHING to do with internet, or gps.. but with base stations, so you can't 'turn it off' or anything..
I don't rape and/or pillage, why should I care about it knowing where I am?
Quote from gandlers :
So what, I have nothing to hide. If anyone wants to know where I have been they just have to ask.

You might not, but others might do.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Wouldn't quite say that.. And it's not Apple that knows you were in the pub, it's someone who has acess to your phone, or if someone steals it etc..

yes, IE, someone is victimizing you, steals your phone and wants to come and vandalize your home. If they know what car you drive and see what area you go to most, they will know which is your house.

A vague area, can still be scanned by a guy in a car, or even on foot. I'm not a panic monger, but if someone really wants to get to you (and people do) and considering how many iphones there are now. There could be a few serious cases. Now that people know about it.
I don't even watch the news on TV any more. Every breaking story is about someone who had their cell phone stolen and later was victimized or house was vandalized.

Just last week here close to me, someone had their phone stolen and the perpetrator found out how many trips to the donut shop the guy made in the past. Then the perp showed up at the donut shop and made fun of the guy for eating donuts so often.

It's just horrible all that is happening with all this information out there. Just all over the news.....
I wonder if iPhone 6 (or later) will have memory card slot and 3.5mm stereo output. Those are major features imo and these muppets still havnt implemented it into the iPhone.
#36 - Jakg
Quote from hazaky :I wonder if iPhone 6 (or later) will have memory card slot and 3.5mm stereo output. Those are major features imo and these muppets still havnt implemented it into the iPhone.

I doubt the iPhone will ever have a memory card slot (how many iPods have it? None...)

And it already has a 3.5mm headphone socket...
Quote from mcintyrej :I don't rape and/or pillage, why should I care about it knowing where I am?

I know you are from a country with very big respect for private property I wish you have constant eye on every property you have and hang around.
ie. I got an app for gps tracks that require first uploading unedited track to website to download it. I have to trust that site is trustworthy (and my net connection)
Checking out my own location data, its horribly inaccurate anyways. a "hotspot" for me is Vancouver (apparently)... while owning my iPhone I've been there once for a weekend.

The data points that have been collected are horribly useless (atleast for me).

On the bright side, atleast MobileMe phone tracking works accurately, which is what I'm guessing is the interval that Apple is recording this data for.

Also TheIrishIdiot: If you read, this file only came into existance with iOS4. So being around since the original iPhone is a retarded (and incorrect) claim.
Quote from DeKo :It's a bug, every OS (android, Phone 7 included) store recent location data, the iOS just doesn't delete it. It will after the next update. Who leaves location services on in IOS anyway?

It is not a bug. It is a feature. Apple actually updated their privacy policy after releasing the update that added this feature. It was supposed to be like this. iOS versions before 4.0 do not have this feature.

Disabling location services will NOT stop this feature from working. And there will be no update to disable this as it was a intended update.

The position is updated real time (1 position per second) using cellphone tower triangulation and Wifi positioning. So, the more cell phone towers you have in your city (and wifi hotspots), the more precise your position. (in Brazil you'd have problems trying to figure out the position correctly only by cellphone towers because there places with so few cellphone towers )

(I've read that on Engadget).

By the way, what are you complaining about? I actually wish my phone did that! I'm using a third party app to send my position to an online server every hour (but that includes GPS coordinates and more info), and the iPhone records the approximate position every second by default! pff.
There are some in the US government who are trying to pass legislation that would make privacy a law, the extent of which is at the discretion of the individual. I would go a step further and write an amendment to the constitution that provides some guarantee of privacy if a citizen wants to live a private life.

Do you think the ability to live a private life should be protected by law?
Quote from flymike91 :
Do you think the ability to live a private life should be protected by law?

To a major degree, but when you think about it, if everybody lived private lifes to the extreme, it would mean in theory that anything you do in the confinds of your own home is deemed private to you, even if it's a crime.
I'm talking more about companies like google keeping massive databases of private internet histories, cell phone providers selling your location info, etc.

If you have a girl tied up in your cellar you are probably already pretty good at ensuring your privacy.
The row over the privacy of mobile phone users escalated today as it was revealed that Google devices regularly transmit user locations back to the company.
The new revelations come after Apple was this week slammed by several Congress members for the way user locations are being stored in unencrypted databases on the iPhone and iPad, sometimes stretching back several months.

In Google's case an Android HTC phone tracked its location every few seconds and transmitted the data back to Google several times an hour, according to new research by security analyst Samy Kamkar for the Wall Street Journal.
It also transmitted the name, location and signal strength of any close Wi-Fi networks and the phone's unique identifier.
Both Google and Apple have previously admitted they are using location data to build massive databases of Wi-Fi hotspots.
This can then be used to pinpoint individual's locations via their mobile phones, which in turn could help the companies tap into the huge market for location-based services, currently worth $2.9billion.
Quote from flymike91 :I'm talking more about companies like google keeping massive databases of private internet histories, cell phone providers selling your location info, etc.

If you have a girl tied up in your cellar you are probably already pretty good at ensuring your privacy.

Hehe, ye, you are probably right. Though personal details are passed around through businesses like the clap through a brothel.
All of these seem to be because you keep WIFI on...it senses a hotspot and goes "OHHH I'LL SEND DATA OUT OVER GPRS/EDGE"...TURN TEH WIFI OFF DAMN.
#46 - DeKo
Quote from Racer X NZ :The row over the privacy of mobile phone users escalated today as it was revealed that Google devices regularly transmit user locations back to the company.
The new revelations come after Apple was this week slammed by several Congress members for the way user locations are being stored in unencrypted databases on the iPhone and iPad, sometimes stretching back several months.

In Google's case an Android HTC phone tracked its location every few seconds and transmitted the data back to Google several times an hour, according to new research by security analyst Samy Kamkar for the Wall Street Journal.
It also transmitted the name, location and signal strength of any close Wi-Fi networks and the phone's unique identifier.
Both Google and Apple have previously admitted they are using location data to build massive databases of Wi-Fi hotspots.
This can then be used to pinpoint individual's locations via their mobile phones, which in turn could help the companies tap into the huge market for location-based services, currently worth $2.9billion.

The daily mail? If everyone believed what the Daily Mail says, they would think that this country has 300 million black immigrants spreading TB and taking all OUR jobs! They are a joke, and an even worse source for news than your anti-semite usual nonsense.
#47 - 5haz
Racer has always been really careful with his references.
Surely the point is, our movements, internet histories and frankly anything that we haven't EXPRESSLY given perimission for shouldn't be in the public domain without our express agreement.

They get around this by saying it is in the terms when we last updated our software, but how the hell are we supposed to read 100 pages of terms when they update them every few months...

Regards the OP, apparently it is in the terms when you installed ios 4.x, so according to them, we agreed and they can do what they like...

It is wrong, in a big way imho... I expect a few major lawsuits in the next few years to give us, the people paying their freaking wages, some rights back.

You can say it doesn't matter, "I am doing nothing wrong", but when your insurance quote for your car, or your health insurance goes up 1000% because of something you did (or didn't do), that they only know about because of how your internet or phone was used, it will matter then.

We are at a point in society where the big companies can easily access so much information about you and they want more, alot more. It is up to us, the people paying for their goods, to say enough is enough.

People used to be afraid of what the goverment would do with this information to control society. I personally am more afraid of what the big companies will do with it. They have no reason to use it "for the good". The only purpose for them is to make a profit..

Forget the old skool goverment conspiracies, this is happening, and you all know it for a fact. If apple can do this and we accept it, then the next stage will be even more intrustion. Little steps make big strides in time...

Before we know it, we won't have private lives, unless we refuse to use the internet, which will be almost impossible. Google, apple, microsoft, yahoo etc, they want to know everything about you. I personally don't care what they know, but I don't want to live in a world where they know everything either...
Thank you.

It's good to see that at least one person isn't so far up themselves as to believe that abusing me is an intellegent reply to something that we should all be interested in.

The question is in part what is the seperation between private, public, and corporate information.

It's interesting to note that no one has said I'm incorrect.

Instead we only get the standard bleating from those who find actually thinking about reality is too hard.
Except the problem isn't real. People are making the data that Apple collects to be so specific that they know where everyone has been at any given moment.

Cellphone carriers have the data on every one of their clients, and can triangulate the position while you're on their network.

Apples data however isn't so precice. It shows my main "hotspot" as being downtown Vancouver. In the time I've owned an iOS device, I've been there exactly TWICE. Once with my 3GS (on iOS 3.12), and once with my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.0).

However according to the data that my phone has collected, I'm there CONSTANTLY. I hardly find this information to be incredibly invasive (OH NOES, I LIVE ON THE WEST COAST OF CANADA!).

It's being made out to be a huge deal becuase it's Apple. Google, Microsoft, RIM could all do it, with GPS to the exact position of your pimple on your ass.. and Google might be the only one to catch any fire from it (becuase they'd just use that pimple position to advertise ProActiv towards you).

If anyone REALLY wanted to know where I live, and I doubt Apple cares where a single user of their device lives (Heck, I've registered about 15 installs of OSX that say my exact address.. yet there's no "SYSTEM REGISTRATION-GATE.. WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THAT INFO!?"... or the fact that my iTunes account has all my personal info as well. (OH NOES, CREDIT CARD-GATE.. CAN I TRUST COMPANIES WITH MY ADDRESS?!)

All Apple is collecting is horribly inaccurate GPS positions. BIG ****ING DEAL.

EDIT: ****, if Apple cares that much, I gladly have MobileMe enabled with FindMyiPhone activated. Oh shit, MY LOCATION MARKER IS AT MY HOUSE.. THEY KNOW WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW. ITS A CONSPIRACY THAT APPLE CARES WHERE A SINGLE TEENAGER IS ON THIS VAST ****ING PLANET WITH A HUNDRED MILLION OTHER iOS DEVICES ALONG WITH ANOTHER 6 BILLION OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET!.. OH NOES, MUST WRAP iPHONE IN TIN FOIL!)

Apple's latest feature
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG