The online racing simulator
Apple's latest feature
(83 posts, started )
Apple's latest feature
Now, who was it raving on about how great their iPhones were ?

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.
The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.
For some phones, there could be almost a year's worth of data stored, as the recording of data seems to have started with Apple's iOS 4 update to the phone's operating system, released in June 2010.
"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech ... ing-prompts-privacy-fears

And when you link that with the latest US Big Brother roadchecks .......

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp
Let me just real quick predict what will dawedust have to say about this.

Quote :Its still better than Androd!

#4 - hp999
Let me guess, now some idiots are going to put up sites pretty much saying 'plug your iPhone in, pay 20 bucks and we'll find out where it's been'...

When the very first jailbreak came out for the 2G, people just blatantly put up sites asking for money so they could 'jailbreak' your iPhone. Dunno if anyone remembers this, some might even be still up.
On an actual topic, my Blackberry knows where it is, people on BBM can request my location, pictures have GPS co-ordinates stored in the data fragments, only people who would care are those who have something to hide. If you're a moron and lose your phone, don't have it PIN protected, don't have a remote wipe utility (these are freely availble) or are stupid enough to have your PC stolen then the fact someone KNOWS where you WHERE is completely irrelevant.

Now go away.
#6 - DeKo
It's a bug, every OS (android, Phone 7 included) store recent location data, the iOS just doesn't delete it. It will after the next update. Who leaves location services on in IOS anyway?

Anyway, who gives a ****. Apple might know that I went to the pub when I was supposed to be in Uni, how dare they?
Quote from DeKo :It's a bug, every OS (android, Phone 7 included) store recent location data, the iOS just doesn't delete it. It will after the next update. Who leaves location services on in IOS anyway?

Anyway, who gives a ****. Apple might know that I went to the pub when I was supposed to be in Uni, how dare they?

Actually it's not even related to location services. It stores data based on base stations.. It's all aproximate, meaning it doesn't says you were in that street on that number, just near that particular base station..
#8 - DeKo
Well, it makes it even more irelevant then.
Wouldn't quite say that.. And it's not Apple that knows you were in the pub, it's someone who has acess to your phone, or if someone steals it etc..

All phones store data, it's just a matter of time until someone sells their idea to a tech blog for $$$. Let's not forget about that Android fiasco where people's information was stolen shall we.
Classic Racer X paranoia thread

I don't really care. I'm much more annoyed at having to tell the census so many personal details about my life than worrying if the thief of my phone knows when I've been to the shops or the seaside.

Shouldn't you be worried about atmospheric lead or CFCs rather than the pointless crap your threads are about?
If they know where RacerX is, they know where the conspiracies come from, therefore ruining the conspiracies.

Duh!
I agree that the story is a bit of a beat-up.

What I am enjoying though, is the amount of press it's getting.
It's yet another blow to the bullshit perception that Apple products are 'perfect' and somehow imune to such controversies.

Come to think of it, 'Think different' is perfect slogan. People think Apple products are different, but at the end of the day they're just tech gadgets like any other.
A friend of mine shared a link someday, with some info regarding this. Short spoken the link under explains that the info is not used or needed by Apple.
https://alexlevinson.wordpress ... phone-tracking-discovery/

When that is said, why they store the information in the first place is beyound me, but if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear
Quote from tristancliffe :Classic Racer X paranoia thread

I don't really care. I'm much more annoyed at having to tell the census so many personal details about my life than worrying if the thief of my phone knows when I've been to the shops or the seaside.

Shouldn't you be worried about atmospheric lead or CFCs rather than the pointless crap your threads are about?

an amusing thread to giggle to on an weekend morning
thanks racer x
Quote from Racer X NZ :Now, who was it raving on about how great their iPhones were ?

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.
The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.
For some phones, there could be almost a year's worth of data stored, as the recording of data seems to have started with Apple's iOS 4 update to the phone's operating system, released in June 2010.
"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech ... ing-prompts-privacy-fears

And when you link that with the latest US Big Brother roadchecks .......

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

this was raised about 1 year pre the original phones release as a small issue.

Old news is old.
#17 - CSU1
I have to laugh at these people kicking, screaming and crying of how they feel violated as their "personal information" has been tampered with.

Are you a criminal?
Are you a serial killer?
Do you have child pron in your pocket?

If Q 1,2,3 = True
then "you should worry"

else: STFU and let the law enforcers make our world a safer place to live.
I wish my 3G had built in tracking device.
You will also be happy when you lose it/someone stole it, and local police doesn't really care (they have much more serious things to worry about, I understand that) about your stupid phone and stuff stored on it.
Quote from theirishnoob :this was raised about 1 year pre the original phones release as a small issue.

Old news is old.

perhaps, but you would have thought they'd have done something about the file by now, seeing as the public knows about it... or did they? maybe another wave of news isn't such a bad thing.

on a side note, android phones do this too.

https://github.com/packetlss/android-locdump
Racer x NZ,

Could you please link to the simple program? I have an iPhone and would like to view where I have been in the past year.

Cheers
http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/
Quote :This open-source application maps the information that your iPhone is recording about your movements. It doesn't record anything itself, it only displays files that are already hidden on your computer.

http://www.forensicstore.com/c ... -analysis/lantern-20.html
Quote :
  • Supports all generations of iPhone, iPad, and iPOD Touch, OS 2.2 to 4.2
  • Pass code bypass with certificate file from syncing computer
  • Bypass Encryption on 3.0 devices
  • Locked artifact files, preventing changes to the evidence
  • Call Logs
  • Contacts
  • Messages, SMS and MMS
  • Notes
  • Calendar
  • Media synced and created by the iPhone Camera
  • Voice recordings
  • Images both synced and from the iPhone Camera, with EXIF and GPS info
  • Maps with GPS history
  • Acquisitions of multiple iPhones within a single case
  • Granular acquisitions
  • Reporting in various formats; html, pdf, xml, word. etc
  • Analysis of third party applications, Import file directory structure Encase, FTK

ok well if apple want to know why i was in the toilet. let them.
Quote from jwardy :ok well if apple want to know why i was in the toilet. let them.

jack, dood
this is serious business
they know WHERE your toilet is!!!
Will anyone bother to read the article, it's not Apple, it's anyone who can acess your phone, a girlfriend, wife, thief, mother in law.. In case of you commiting a crime, police could see your aproximate whereabouts too

Apple's latest feature
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG