The online racing simulator
2012 VW Beetle
(66 posts, started )
Quote from Senninha25 :Is it me or has VW been making some good looking cars lately?

It is probably just you. Lately, they've been making some rather ugly cars. I don't like the looks of the new scirocco (yes flame me, I still like the idea of it in lfs), I don't like the Golf MK6...not to mention the mess they made out of Sharan and Touran. (Hell these cars were never meant to look the same)
#28 - PoVo
Quote from freddyalek90 :If you want a fancy Golf, you buy a Beetle. It's as simple as that.

But the Beetle isn't fancy, and it's not a Golf either
VW may be making good cars, but definately not good looking - biggest problem: they all look the same completely. I mean nothing is bad about creating a company design code or a certain equality within all of the cars, but literally they all look the same.

In contrary: Here is a picture of a proper beetle.

i bet that someone is going to post a picture of the beetle bug
But.. put the new Beetle in there and it's nothing like those..
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Why? The Scirocco is dated.

And? They're boring, slow front wheel drive cars. We already have the XFGTi...
I like the new vw designs especially the jetta. I think they're more serious-looking than previous versions. The more straight lines and angles the better imo.

No need to talk about the beetle. It's a car for women and there are no women on the internet.
-
(flymike91) DELETED by flymike91
There is a bad thing about retro cars.
The thing is, the original was good for a reason: Practical, good looking, cheap and easy to fix.
The only thing they have in common is that they are good looking, and somewhat practical.
But they aren't the same as the real thing was in its day.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :There is a bad thing about retro cars.
The thing is, the original was good for a reason: Practical, good looking, cheap and easy to fix.
The only thing they have in common is that they are good looking, and somewhat practical.
But they aren't the same as the real thing was in its day.

They're just made to look up to date in today's standards, including all the equipment and design features (for better safety of course).
The thing is today's facelifted models could be an all-around improvement on their predecessors but there will always be that little bit missing that only the original models had.
Quote from baSh0r :VW may be making good cars, but definately not good looking - biggest problem: they all look the same completely. I mean nothing is bad about creating a company design code or a certain equality within all of the cars, but literally they all look the same.

In contrary: Here is a picture of a proper beetle.

i bet that someone is going to post a picture of the beetle bug

i agree with the above, if anything, its just good for business, interchangeable parts ( inb4 vento faced golfs is original ) and what not...

also most markets don't like dramatic change *insert anti-jap car message from americans here * so when all things start to look the same, its a badge purchase due to the fact that the famous TDI engines of old... are old, and the newer versions with the older DSG box...

OT: its alright looking, but for the moneys, you could have a nearly new honda s2000, porshe or whatever cute run-a-bout you like, and a classic bug to boot.
Quote :But they aren't the same as the real thing was in its days.

In these days, customers had really different needs than todays...roads and behaviors were also different...

This said, my 1st pram was a 1200 Standard, so don't expect me to buy one of these neo-retro "things"... air-cooled rear-engine'd classic or gtfo ...
Quote from baSh0r :VW may be making good cars, but definately not good looking - biggest problem: they all look the same completely. I mean nothing is bad about creating a company design code or a certain equality within all of the cars, but literally they all look the same.

VW Touran, VW Tourag, VW Polo (???)

VW GLOF!!! VW Scirocco, VW "looks amazingly like an e-class convertible" Eos

VW Jetta (I presume - that car is not in the UK market), VW Fox (Aka SHIT) and the Passat Estate.
bet that someone is going to post a picture of the beetle bug

Firstly the original VW Beetle was designed by Hitler so by liking that car you're in effect, liking the Nazi's which means that by following this trail of logic you support the murder and mistreatment of millions of jews and gays.

As for VW's looking the same, from left to right, if you see my annoations, you'll see they do not look the same or I wouldn't be able to tell the difference!!!!

p.s Boris leave my turbocharged ipod dock out of this please !
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Firstly the original VW Beetle was designed by Hitler...

Thank you Sherlock...

@Bash0r: I'm suprised that you even took the time to answer his crap....thx anyway...
The rear looks amazing. I wish the front lights were not round shaped but similar to the rear lights. Then this would look epic.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Firstly the original VW Beetle was designed by Hitler so by liking that car you're in effect, liking the Nazi's which means that by following this trail of logic you support the murder and mistreatment of millions of jews and gays.

Well, I'm sorry that I've got to break your victory campaign but you should know that the car was developed by Ferdinand Porsche and the motorcycle company Zündapp about 2 years before Hitler came up with the idea to give them the task to develop a cheap reliable car for the broad people which has been a great idea, so they used most of their plans from the Beetle and transfered it to realize Hitlers plans. (You might neither know that without Hitler you would be driving on gravel roads). I'm just saying that by liking that car i do nothing more than liking one of the greatest pieces of world engineering.
Doesn't matter to me if they all look the same, just means that if I like the looks of one I'll like the rest of them too. That's probably really good for marketing lol
Well it does matter to me as you can't differ anymore if its a Polo, Golf or anything else, you really have to take a second look.
Isn't that sort of the goal of German car manufacturers? How alike do BMWs look? How about Audis?
It seems to be I never said i like their cars either. It's mainly just a today-problem in car industry.
Quote from baSh0r :Well, I'm sorry that I've got to break your victory campaign but you should know that the car was developed by Ferdinand Porsche and the motorcycle company Zündapp about 2 years before Hitler came up with the idea to give them the task to develop a cheap reliable car for the broad people which has been a great idea, so they used most of their plans from the Beetle and transfered it to realize Hitlers plans. (You might neither know that without Hitler you would be driving on gravel roads). I'm just saying that by liking that car i do nothing more than liking one of the greatest pieces of world engineering.

Ok so I guess you took my post a bit too serious. Being German I can't help thinking I should have expected such a response!
I'm not a complete numpty and yes I know it was Mr Porsche hence why I also call 911's VW Beetles with bigger engines.

As for Hitler and gravel roads, please, everyone says that without "bob" then "this amazing thing we take forgranted" wouldn't be happening. I'll have you know that many other people would/could/probably did come up with the idea for people to drive around on actual roads rather than gravel tracks and had Hitler not had it (did he even have that idea because I swear there were roads about before him...) then someone else would have. Like if that fellow who invented the lightbulb didn't, we'd all be sitting around in the dark today? No, someone else would have come up with the idea..

Ok serious posting

The VW Beetle is NOT anywhere near one of the greatest pieces of engineering. It's a simple, basic engine fitted in the rear of a simply made, poorly upholstered, slow, noisy, unreliable, rust-ridden bucket of crap they call a chassis. It has a top speed of 9 and you can forget the 0-60 because by the time it's got up to 30, the chassis would have rusted and the whole front subframe would have fallen off.

A 2CV, while also coming under all of the above, IS a great piece of engineering because it had something which even today many cars don't have (and NONE of the time had) - the hydropnumatic syspension (or however you spell it), and a sense of fun and a sense of humour which ze Germans could never achieve. I HATE the 2CV so for me to even be saying anything positive shows just how much better I think it is than a VW.

#47 - JJ72
Quote from RasmusL :Isn't that sort of the goal of German car manufacturers? How alike do BMWs look? How about Audis?

lol yeah, Audi is a even worse offender.

Each BMWs are at least ugly in their own unique way.
It's only a matter of time.

herrafrush
Attached images
yep.png
#49 - aoun
You forgot the hood scoop, tinted windows and the trolley handle bar at the back.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Ok serious posting

The VW Beetle is NOT anywhere near one of the greatest pieces of engineering. It's a simple, basic engine fitted in the rear of a simply made, poorly upholstered, slow, noisy, unreliable, rust-ridden bucket of crap they call a chassis. It has a top speed of 9 and you can forget the 0-60 because by the time it's got up to 30, the chassis would have rusted and the whole front subframe would have fallen off.

A 2CV, while also coming under all of the above, IS a great piece of engineering because it had something which even today many cars don't have (and NONE of the time had) - the hydropnumatic syspension (or however you spell it), and a sense of fun and a sense of humour which ze Germans could never achieve. I HATE the 2CV so for me to even be saying anything positive shows just how much better I think it is than a VW.

It's funny that you don't have a clue at all

Quote :The Suspension of the 2CV was almost comically soft; a person could easily rock the car side to side dramatically (back and forth was quite a bit more resistant). The leading arm / trailing arm swinging arm, fore-aft linked suspension system together with inboard front brakes had a much smaller unsprung weight than existing coil spring or leaf spring designs. It was designed by Alphonse Forceau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_2CV

2012 VW Beetle
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG