The online racing simulator
You are assuming the penalty for weaving is from the same incident as the contact. I think it will be for weaving on start/finish straight.

Alonso's penalty was pretty much a given, we've seen a lot of them for avoidable contact.
Seems very much like they've then decided to also give one to LH, so that Alonso is still ahead :/
Talk about inconsistency...

Massa in Australia was freaking worse...
#78 - CSF
Will be interesting to see if they apply it all season. Where was the penalty for the Toro Rosso for hitting Schumacher in Aus, or Rubens frankly pathetic driving when he hit Rosberg? Hmmmmmmmmmm curious set of penalties.
Quote from Bean0 :You are assuming the penalty for weaving is from the same incident as the contact. I think it will be for weaving on start/finish straight.

If that's the case, Massa should have been given a penalty in Australia. Massa did more weaving in Australia than Hamilton did today.
I like to see this weaving rule being enforced more strictly, since it's been broken so many times over the last few years. Though of course this can also lead into inconsistancy and controversy, we can have plenty of ambiguous cases.

But somehow I'm affraid this also is gonna be a way for the marshalls to make the drivers think twice before defending their place, and therefore increase overtaking.

Let's hope F1 isn't turning into IndyCar on that point.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :If that's the case, Massa should have been given a penalty in Australia. Massa did more weaving in Australia than Hamilton did today.

He's in a red car though isn't he

All they need to be is consistent with penalties, that'll do me.
Quote from Seb66 :clearly alonso tried to take out lewis. jk

What? For a non championship deciding round? For 4th place? Don't think so bud, I hate Alonso, but it was a judgement error, if that looks like an intentional wreck to you then the Webber Kovalinen incident at Valencia should be too.
Quote from BlueFlame :What? For a non championship deciding round? For 4th place? Don't think so bud, I hate Alonso, but it was a judgement error, if that looks like an intentional wreck to you then the Webber Kovalinen incident at Valencia should be too.

Quote :
clearly alonso tried to take out lewis. jk

He was joking.
But let the bullshit begin....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13029061.stm

Jean "Ferrari International Assistance" At the Helm of this one I'd imagine, sure Hamilton was twitchy on the pit straight but the reason Alonso hit him isn't because of Hamilton switching line repeatidly..

On the video there you see as Hamilton goes right to defend, Alonso goes right to overtake. It's a racing incident for christ sake but the stewards have to intervene to upset everybody (except Ferrari).

Alonso retains 6th place but Hamilton gets demoted to 8th? Seriously...

Alonso didn't complain that Hamilton blocked him, which is odd, as normally he's the kind of driver to do just that, so why did the FIA feel it necessary to penalize a McLaren over a Ferrari for a racing incident??????

Thinking about it, in that situation Hamilton was about to make the one line change permitted to defend the upcoming corner, but for some reason the FIA deem it fair to ASSUME that Hamilton was going to change direction again before he did?...

Let's not take into account the views of those biassed AGAINST or FOR Lewis Hamilton, only unbiassed people should comment about it. That includes Alonso fans (Spanish ppl) and Ferrari fools.
I find it weirdly amusing how FIA desperately tries to make races interesting and once there is one actually worth watching they completely ruin it by pointless penalties.

There were like 4 pretty tight battles in this race, all but one of them involving a car which had a malfunctioning excitement-booster (read KERS or DRS) and now LH gets penalized for pretty much nothing and FA for damaging his car? Well done FIA, do you really wonder why all your attempts to make the races exciting again fall flat? But hey, these turbo engines you plan for 2013 will certainly do it...
#89 - JCTK
Although I do think the FIA ain't totally unbiased, but Lewis DID swerve more than once. Although the swerve was VERY SUBTLE, especially on a track so ridiculously wide, it was still hard fact that he swerve more than once.

Interesting how easy he made it for Heidfield to pass through.
#90 - JCTK
Another interesting thing from the race.
McLaren's strategy was usually pretty good, as long as it sticks to their plan...

They certainly never planned a Renault jumping from 6th to 2nd in the first corner, and on hindsight they most probably should have switched to a 4 stopper since Lewis had to pit early on the first stint to jump the Renault.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I see nothing wrong.

actually its a gentlemens agreement not to change lines more than once (he did it 3 times in the video above). an FOM agreed to FIA that drivers can be penalized for actions like this. so the penalty for HAM & ALO are well deserved
The Hamilton and Alonso penalities were both BS tbh. Weaving and 'causing avoidable contact' are things that happen about 20 times in every single race and are never even so much as looked at. I saw at least 6 or 7 instances of wheel banging at the corner I was sitting at. Yes there are rules against them, but you can't just pick one specific instance to enforce them when they're going to generate the most headlines.

That said, good race, mucho fun. It was actually raining all the way through, but light enough that it just evaporated straight away. Didn't need it to get heavier in the end, though.
I would of liked it to rain as it could of benefitted Heidfeld and Petrov (had he not gone Lada Rallycross crazy).

But the penalty still is retarded, the 'weaving' wasn't like what happened with Petrov and Hamilton this time last year, it was far more subtle than that but considering he had already been warned for it, he should of known better, don't see why he gets a penalty and Alonso doesn't though, I guess that's what's going to annoy alot of people. Especially when the FiA president is Jean Todt (ex Ferrari team director, and Peugeot Talbot Sport in the old group b days ironically). I'll expect to see Audi penalized like this in some way too, so Todt can lick the arses of the French brass at Peugeot.

I believe if they had added 30seconds, Alonso would of lost a place too, but they only added 20, which meant Lewis was the only one to lose a position... CONNNSPIRACCYYYY...

Cmon Intrepid, where r ya man, don't let me go it alone!
It seems i accidentally killed the alarm instead of snoozing it, bloody hell, haven't missed the race in years!
Quote from Boris Lozac :It seems i accidentally killed the alarm instead of snoozing it, bloody hell, haven't missed the race in years!

I had my son wake me up before my Alarm even went, that's one of the good things of being a parent, also sitting on the Sofa whilst he shouts whenever Schumacher or Alonso comes into picture lol, that is making me proud and the fact he's only 8months old and will watch a whole GP without looking anywhere else.... amazes me.
Quote from BlueFlame :
I believe if they had added 30seconds, Alonso would of lost a place too, but they only added 20, which meant Lewis was the only one to lose a position... CONNNSPIRACCYYYY...

I'm correct, less than 10seconds between Alonso and Kobayashi in 7th... hmm what a ****ing surprise...
Quote from BlueFlame :I would of liked it to rain as it could of benefitted Heidfeld and Petrov (had he not gone Lada Rallycross crazy).

But the penalty still is retarded, the 'weaving' wasn't like what happened with Petrov and Hamilton this time last year, it was far more subtle than that but considering he had already been warned for it, he should of known better, don't see why he gets a penalty and Alonso doesn't though, I guess that's what's going to annoy alot of people. Especially when the FiA president is Jean Todt (ex Ferrari team director, and Peugeot Talbot Sport in the old group b days ironically). I'll expect to see Audi penalized like this in some way too, so Todt can lick the arses of the French brass at Peugeot.

Cmon Intrepid, where r ya man, don't let me go it alone!

What the hell are you talking about? They didn't get a 20 sec penalty, they each got a drive through penalty. Also, if they'd have made up a punishment like a 30 sec penalty (which doesn't exist) to make sure that Alonso lost a place, then how would that NOT be dodgy? They both got exacty the same penalty, how it effects the end outcome is irrelevant.
Quote from reason0809 :actually its a gentlemens agreement not to change lines more than once (he did it 3 times in the video above). an FOM agreed to FIA that drivers can be penalized for actions like this. so the penalty for HAM & ALO are well deserved

I know that agreement exists. What I don't get is Hamilton wasn't only one weaving during the race, if you look closely at the other overtakes. Massa in Australia was a prime example. As long as the weaving wasn't major and completely obvious, I think we should just let the drivers do their thing.

FIA/FOA went to great lengths to promote overtaking, but when two of the best drivers went wheel to wheel, the stewards decided to give them both a penalty, which would only discourage drivers to defend their position.

If they want to penalise drivers for the tiny little weaving like Hamilton did today, then please be consistent and penalise everyone else.
Quote from mythdat :What the hell are you talking about? They didn't get a 20 sec penalty, they each got a drive through penalty. Also, if they'd have made up a punishment like a 30 sec penalty (which doesn't exist) to make sure that Alonso lost a place, then how would that NOT be dodgy? They both got exacty the same penalty, how it effects the end outcome is irrelevant.

They didn't get drive through penalties, they got 20seconds added to their race time. Which is the equivilent to a DT but it is done post race, so the people doing it already know the race results, which makes the penalty bullshit.
Maybe this'll be the penalty that convinces Hatemelol to stop cheating and lying as often?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG