The online racing simulator
should i buy a new wheel?
(51 posts, started )
Quote :it seems that maybe will not improve my times so much but will improvve the fun of driving ... and is also important

This is exactly what will happen.... The joy of driving simply outnumbers the will for win...
But eventually, you will also start improving on laptimes.. that is just "inevitable"...

You will start to: switch into wrong gear , feel curbs, track elevation changes, bumps, feel tyre wear and still have control over your situation.

It is a process we've all (except mouse/kbd drivers) gone thru.. finding driving in LFS is actually more fun with proper hardware - and to loose a race... ==> it's a lot more fun than in any other racing game. Because, you have had that true sim experience.

I can only say that G25 works very well, G27 works good from friends I know having nothing but cheers for LFS. The Fanatec, I do not know much about.

I guess the G25 is about 10-15 beers/pizzas(whatever) worth, so make a comitment to save some bucks over a limited time and you will have a great time on LFS in the future... (not including the opinion of your girlfriend)
-
(alquimista) DELETED by alquimista
just lost my mind and ordered a g27 for 270 euros

i'm feeling a mix of :doh: with and then :chair: and again

just hope the stays after playing with the wheel

god it hurts to give so much money for a wheel!
i'll give it 1 corner and you'll feel it was worth every penny. congrats.
doesnt have to be.

when i bought my wheel i went into heavy depression trying to get a good laptime, so i took it off desk and didnt play lfs for a month. then i came back, always started first and started learning. The hardest thing was, how to keep the car under control once it starts going away from you, you just need to get that feeling into yourself. Also the braking, gas out of corners, shifting gears, the whole concept of turning with wheel, its different.

So like 2 months after i bought my first wheel i did a new pb for the first time, it was on westhill with fox and i felt for the first time that it was worth it.

so i wouldnt expect to be faster immediately, but be patient, put in some practice and it will all come your way.
Indeed, expect to be slower first. Maybe even SLOW.
Quote from NumberTwo :doesnt have to be.

when i bought my wheel i went into heavy depression trying to get a good laptime

i already play with a wheel, a cheap one without ffb
i got no problems to get use to him
do you think the change will be so dramatic?

when i bought my wheel i went into heavy depression trying to get a good laptime, so i took it off desk and didnt play lfs for a month. then i came back, always started first and started learning. The hardest thing was, how to keep the car under control once it starts going away from you, you just need to get that feeling into yourself. Also the braking, gas out of corners, shifting gears, the whole concept of turning with wheel, its different.

it was exactly like this for me also. Was very depressed for few days after buying G27, was 2+ sec off my keyboard times....but then started getting better and better

So like 2 months after i bought my first wheel i did a new pb for the first time, it was on westhill with fox and i felt for the first time that it was worth it.

so i wouldnt expect to be faster immediately, but be patient, put in some practice and it will all come your way.

Couldn't agree more.
Congrats algumista!

Hope you get it soon. It will change your world of LFS (if you like driving cars).

Let us know what your first impressions are and then 2 months later.
Quote from Ingolf :Congrats algumista!

Hope you get it soon. It will change your world of LFS (if you like driving cars).

Let us know what your first impressions are and then 2 months later.

Im hoping to get it tomorow ... they say they deliver in 24H but it comes from Spain ... so if not tomorow in monday for sure

And i hope you guys are wrong about me taking so long to get used to it ... i like difficult challenges but i dont want to wait 2 months to do the lap times i do now ... on other way if that happens it means the wheel is completed different from the one i have and it will have a lot of details that i must learn to control ... and that is also good

So ... whatever ... im reallly loooking to get my hands on it:eclipsee_
Congratulations
You're getting a good wheel.

Almost-happy G25-user here. Keep in mind not to use too much "brutal" force when using the h-shifter. That one part clearly is the least-sturdy out of the three. Be sure not to apply too much force clamping that shifter down and using it. The wheel itself will need some good momentum to clamp down tightly - some thin layer of rubber placed between the wheel and your desk / can help securing the wheel better, even using a smaller momentum on the clamps.

Other than that: have fun and remember: the more you 'turn' on your wheel, the slower a driver you become (At least that's the saying by someone named Röhrl, Walter )

Have fun
Quote from alquimista :i already play with a wheel, a cheap one without ffb
i got no problems to get use to him
do you think the change will be so dramatic?

Probably not as dramatic as coming from keyboard or pad, but you might get used to the degree of rotation in the end.

However, it will be a much more fun experience.
:eclipsee_
Its rolling baby!

Just got him
I love it already

So ... here it goes my first impressions after 1 hour playing in BMW Formula practice

The wheel is much bigger than the older one i have (probably twice the size) ... i can say every thing is big ... i was not expecting such a big and strong hardware ... i mounted pretty easy and fast to my desk ... fits just perfect!

Downloaded windows 7 64 bits software from logitech site and installed ... configured the profile has Meanie posted (thanks Meanie!) and configured the wheel in FLS options and everithing works perfectly

Ok ... now ... practice
I started with sequential padlle shifters and automatic clunch and 55 ffb ... mama mia ... i just coulddnt play at all ... i crashed all the corners ... MAN! WHAT THE F IS THIS?

Disabled FFB to see how it will goes ... much much better! I played like 20 minutes and i was driving almost like normal

So lets put a little FFB on this ... i turn FFB on to 15 and i must say i did 1.14.78 after 15 minutes (my record with the old wheel is 1.14.58) ... i will stay with FFB in 15-20 for now cause i can feel every corner and every curb on the wheel (its just amazing) and it push pretty strong on the fast corners ... i just can feel it when im pushing to hard or doing it to slow (much easier to turn like this)

The paddles are much more harder (what makes it feel real) and they are longer so i can control the brakes much better ...

I just tryied the h-shifter for 5 minutes on a GTI car cause i couldnt make it work on BMW Formula (i think its normal cause real formula cars dont have h-shifter ... can you guys just confirm this ?) ... in GTI cars it works really good ... and using the clunch make it a completly different driving ... much more fun and real

So i must say that besides the first 2 minutes driving with the FFB on 55 it's starting pretty promissing ... I spend all my saves on this wheel so i will have to wait until next month to buy the S2 License so i can drive fast cars with the H-Shifter (im getting addicted to it and just play it for 5 minutes in a very slow car) ... until i buy it i guess will give dirt2 another chance with this wheel and h-shifter

Well ... i must say thank you guys for pushing me and encourage me to buy this wheel

Please just tell me if its normal h-shifter not working in BMW Formula car

Thanks again!
Quote from alquimista :
I just tryied the h-shifter for 5 minutes on a GTI car cause i couldnt make it work on BMW Formula (i think its normal cause real formula cars dont have h-shifter ... can you guys just confirm this ?)

You are right, Formulas and GTR (minus FZR and UFR) don't have h-shifter gearbox
Quote :Well ... i must say thank you guys for pushing me and encourage me to buy this wheel

Good to hear...

Quote :You are right, Formulas and GTR (minus FZR and UFR) don't have h-shifter gearbox

The paddles work nicely with the cars having them. However, don't be surprised if you find yourself racing in H-shifter cars more and more as it is a blast with a proper wheel setup (FXO, XRT, RB4 etc). The best is to spend some time on the FFB and turn range, damper, spring configs etc - to get the right feeling.

Good luck and glad you like it after first impressions. Now, LFS will only get better!!
I remember starting with LFS in 2005 with my keyboard. I knew most other drivers were faster with their wheels, so I saved some money and got me a momo.
The first results were disillusioning. I was not faster
in the first place.
I needed some practice and some new car-setups, and
I had to reinvent my driving style.
It took me quiet long to change from understeering to
the benfits of a dendency to oversteering in the months,
maybe years to come...
But, yes, the better wheels are faster, after all: The more control you have, the better the results are, in the long run...
If you don't have a wheel, you are limiting your potential. You won't get immediate results, but in the end with practice, you'll achieve better, finer control and lower your times.
Quote from Macfox :If you don't have a wheel, you are limiting your potential. You won't get immediate results, but in the end with practice, you'll achieve better, finer control and lower your times.

... and LFS will just be way more fun.
Quote from farcar :... and LFS will just be way more fun.

Which is what really matters - you will even start enjoying loosing...
Hi guys!
I purchased S2 today and i must say im a little dissapointed

From all the cars i tryed i loved the UFR ... driving it with the G27 and H-shifter is just amazing but ... i just cant find any servers for the UFR available ... only are servers that allow driving UFR and a lot of other cars at the same time in the same race ... this doesnt seem very atractive

Do you guys know any servers only for UFR?

I dont say that i just throw my money away buying S2 cause just driving the UFR in practice it whorts the money but when i was in demo i had great times just competing online in FBMW and now i cant do the same with UFR

For 5 euros i also purchased the Race 07 game and of course i also fall in love driving the mini and there are a lot of good races and racers just for minis online ... in consequence im playing much more Race 07 then LFS

I was expecting much more online competition for UFR online ... do i need to search special hidden servers to find them or this is the way it is?
s2 server activity is quiet right now. activity and variety usually happens when the patches arrive. so it will be some time soon. stay tuned.
budget drifting wheel
what sorta wheel should i but mainly for drifting.... on a budget im not an everyday user... i just dont get time for it these days with work.. the girl ... the dog .. and well everything but when i get a chance i enjoy drifting round a would like a cheap wheel because im using a keyboard (laptop) and its annoying i cany control speed or steering angles

thanks chums
it really depends on your budget dude. the higher the budget, the better the wheel. it will also help you to remove the more expensive wheels from your list of potential wheels.
budget
well i could say a £50 budget i dont care if its seccond hand like. just something cheap im in no way a computer whizz so i have no idea what to look 4 iv heard about logitec g25 n g27 but i dont need one of them i would like gears pedals and ffb

should i buy a new wheel?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG