The online racing simulator
Live for Speed Manager
(85 posts, started )
Quote from wabz :Wow, looks very nice and clean

Just a reply to those who want to start programs before - for now you can use Browse For Speed - which does pretty much exactly what LFS Manager does, plus some extra things (admin control), and is available in 8 languages, is open source and gives full credit to contributors (16 - where is it phlos! ) AND is written with .NET crap

We have worked together to make our favourites/friends compatible, so when a version of LFS Manager comes out that supports launching programs, you can switch straight back to it if you wish.

http://www.browseforspeed.net/img/screenshot.png

Advertising your own program in a thread started to advertise someone else's program :/.
:ices_rofl
I really like this program but I don't understand the use of the "S2 license"-fields in the options. Why should I put my data in there?
Do you like to collect S2 licenses, Phlos?
#30 - OPK
Where is the point entering sensitive data?
Quite suspicous -.-
Quote from Jeddix :I really like this program but I don't understand the use of the "S2 license"-fields in the options. Why should I put my data in there?

Yeah, why would I send my liscense to you?
There's no point in downloading it, when I have to enter my Licence Dataillepall

Especially, if I see that you programm cracks by yourself!
Just don't fill it in. It's a useful program, but I won't enter my password in ANY software other than LFS itself. I don't even see why it would be needed, as the auto-join thing should just check a server for space then do a normal join.
#34 - Jakg
ok, i would like to know why i need to type in my LFS account to use the features that is just a connector?
#35 - wabz
The reason he wants you to enter your username/pass is because some queries to the master server require this information (the password is not sent plaintext, it's checksummed). Personally, I think this is a bit insane - no other game has ever required a valid account to query servers, and LFSWorld sends your password in plaintext over HTTP, so this inconsistency in security is a bit...weird.

So, I think Phlos doesn't have any evil intentions by getting you to enter this information, but I know I won't be putting my details in.
You must only put your username/password when you want to use "PasswordChecker / AutoRejoin" functions (otherwise it is disabled and you cannot put it anyway...).

Also when you activate this, your license is used for all requests to main server, exactly as LFS.

tristancliffe, yes the AutoRejoin doesn't really need any license, but in the proc it calls PasswordChecker() that NEED a valid S2 license...so you need license for both.

wabz, your software doesn't need a S2 license to works...yes, but it doesn't have any PasswordChecker() nor AutoRejoin()
And anyway it doesn't require a S2 license to do features that BFS do...so...

And NO, your license is not stolen, nor your passwords, nor anything... I'm not stupid
If you want I remove PasswordChecker, so it doesn't need a license at all...but it's just stupid because it is already an OPTION to use this function with your S2 license

I really don't see why people complain about the S2 license : you don't need any license to use other functions...exactly as BFS.
Phlos, you should make it clear in your software, that the password is optional and which functions it is used for. Or else it will raise suspicion.

We do recommend that people never use their name and password anywhere other than on our sites. People are naturally and rightly suspicious if someone (or some software) asks for their password.

So you need to tread extra carefully in that case. Also maybe you can include a recommendation that they make 100% sure their game password is different from their web password.

My point is, better make it 100% clear in the software that you are concerned for their safety.
It is already clear (hmm I thought it was clear), because if you don't check "Activate PasswordChecker" (disabled by default), you cannot even put your S2 license

It uses exactly the same CRC32() of the password as LFS, so if it's safe for LFS (it is !), it is safe for my app
Really no change at all, your S2 protocol

But thank you for your suggestion Scawen, I will put something about it on website.
I think I'll stick with BFS for now. I prefer the abilities IMHO

OT.

lol, Scawen double post. Unheard of!

/OT.
Thanks for the clarification Phlos... I still use it, but not 100% happy putting my password in anyway, so I'll just miss out on that feature. Still gets a good vote from me though
I will probably split PasswordChecker and AutoRejoin in next version. So users will be able to use AutoRejoin without filling their S2 license

But for the PasswordChecker, I cannot change anything, it will stay "as it"
Well I like the prog and as long as I don't have to enter my account details, I'm happy
And since this prog doesn't require me to install .NET crap, it get's my vote
I stop dev (temporary ?) of LFS Manager following few onlines racing game tonight on LFS...

Some guys told me :
- "Phlos the hacker is here"
- "The man who steal your S2 license with LFS Manager !"
and so on...

Why should I dev a free software in my spare time for some dumbs people that like to make me a bad reputation in LFS ?

No, I don't steal your S2 license, nor the passwords of your servers, ... I don't even care about them...
You can deasm my software, analyse it with a network sniffer, do what you want, I don't do anything wrong, nor in my other softwares...

Yes, I know that some people like my work and would like some new versions of LFS Manager. But thoses reactions make me feel so bad...it's like everything I do is in the "wrong way"...
So I decided to STOP dev of everything until people mind change, I'm tired about thoses dumb people that make me a bad reputation about everything I do, in LFS or outside the track. illepall
havent downloaded or tried it, but it sounds like a good program. Here's a thought, why not just take out the licence / password part of the program? THat would stop all the confusion, cos it really should be only 100% offiicial LFS software that has anything to do with passwords.

IMO.
It is an OPTION (PasswordChecker needs S2 license) and entering license is DISABLED by default (I cannot do better ). And no I will not remove it, because some people use it, they trust my software, as all should do.

But it makes me laugh a bit, because people that fear to fill their S2 license in my software are (maybe) the same people that fill their banking account in a fake web page with a 100% trust.
slight generalisation there Phlos, but thats your call. Good luck with the software.
Just don't listen to those guys, who say you'd be a hacker or something. They should have read the whole thread and maybe think a little bit further than "I've got to fill in my license data, a S2-licensed racer will steal it from me".
If you don't trust him, simply don't use the feature!
I look forward to a possible continuation of your project, as it is a good, small program
I agree. It's good, it's small and it works. What more could you want from a program? Don't let them get to you. Just go on making good progs
Great program, i'm going to try it out for a bit and i'll let you know if I find any bugs.

From a functionality point of view it seems to have everything I could want - except (minor point) the cars allowed on the server dots are not terribly clear.

Functional, neat and tidy, and easy to use ... you dont see that very often.

Live for Speed Manager
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG