The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Typical scenario
Attached images
iRacingSim 2011-02-24 16-01-15-69.jpg
Quote from JasonJ :Typical scenario

i think he is trying to prove he can win in reverse!
Quote from MINIz guy :I love the game but still think the server is buggy. Out of the 4 races I have done, I only completed 1 by not timing out.

Dont hesitate to contact support@iracing.com regarding your issues. They are usually very helpful
Quote from JasonJ :7,700 race laps (+many practice laps), never once timed out from US or AUS servers.
You can keep track of your internet conn in the FPS indicator (F key)
L=Latency
Q=quality
S=Sync? (I forget now)

**Taken from the Nascar Racing 2003 Readme (same thing for iRacing)

(L) Instantaneous latency from 0.0 seconds (the bar is empty) to 1.0 seconds (the bar is full height). This is the amount of time that it takes for a message to go from the server, to your client, and back to the server.

(Q) Quality from 100% (the bar is empty) to 50% (the bar is full height). The more data that is lost or garbled during transmission from the server to you, the lower the quality of your connection, and the higher this bar will go.

(S) The time skew (difference) between your client and the server. If your current time is behind where you expect the server to be, this bar will be below center. If it is at the bottom, then you believe that you are 1.0 seconds (or more) behind the server. If your current time is ahead of where you expect the server to be, it will be above center. If it is at the top, then you believe that you are 1.0 seconds (or more) ahead of the server. If the bar reaches the top or bottom, then your client will re-synchronize itself with the server (it will smash its clock).

Ideally, no bars should be visible whatsoever. That is, you have 0.0 seconds of latency, 100% of data from the server is getting to you, and your client believes that it is at the same point in time as the server. In practice, this will not happen.

The (L)atency bar will almost always be visible since it is not possible for data to get from the server to you instantaneously. The higher the latency, the longer it takes for data to get from the server to your computer, and so the older it is when it gets there. The older the data is, the more "predicting" your client has to do about the positions of other cars on the track. The more that it has to predict, the more likely that it will predict incorrectly, and the more the other cars will jump around when it realizes its error.

It is not uncommon for the (Q)uality bar to be completely empty (indicating little or no data loss), but it is also not uncommon for a few percent of the data to be lost or garbled during transmission, showing as a small (Q)uality bar. If the bar starts to grow steadily, then something bad has happened on the route through the Internet between you and the server (or the server has crashed). If the route doesn't clear up quickly, you will soon be disconnected. If it does clear up, there will probably be short period of mayhem as the route settles down, and old data that has been stuck in transit is flushed.

If the latency is varying a bit, it can be difficult for your client to determine what point in time the server is currently at, and a small (S)kew bar is likely to appear. If the (S)kew bar grows continuously until it hits the top or bottom, your client will smash its clock to re-synchronize itself to the server. If it does this, then either the connection between you and the server is very poor, or either your machine or the server machine is extremely overloaded, and your client can no longer stay in step with the server.
I've found the connection to the iRacing servers to be fantastic, I get pings of just over 100 to the US servers, with hardly moving Q and S bars, which is great really and silky smooth.
Does my SR points only change when i'm racing online against others, or does it change when i do test races by myself also?
Quote from blakehoo88 :Does my SR points only change when i'm racing online against others, or does it change when i do test races by myself also?

Practice and testing don't affect SR, qualifying and time trials do though.
Quote from mutt107 :Practice and testing don't affect SR, qualifying and time trials do though.

And warm up and after the checkered as well, though TT, Qual and warmups affect the SR less than races.
SR is based on a corners per incident (CPI) formula. Qualifying is much shorter than a race, same for warmup. If you turn 8 clean corners in oval qualifying, it won't do much for your SR.

After a very frustrating stretch of getting wrecked in rookie oval races, I resorted to TTs to get promoted. The more clean laps you run in a TT, the more it helps your SR. So I did almost 100 laps for the entire hour rather than just doing the minimum number of clean laps.

CPI is what makes me afraid to do the street stock at Charlotte this week - lots of incidents, very few corners.

Here's a really good source:
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2220.page
Quote from Danke :SR is based on a corners per incident (CPI) formula. Qualifying is much shorter than a race, same for warmup. If you turn 8 clean corners in oval qualifying, it won't do much for your SR.

Yes but there is a multiplier in addition to the shortness of it. Refer to the Sporting Code:

6.1. iRacing.com™ places a high priority on safe driving at all times, but races, and other sessions when incidents can directly affect more than one competitor, are more important than Time Trials and single-car Qualifying. Accordingly, Corner & Incident Multipliers are applied when averaging a recent session into a driver’s Safety Rating.

3.6.2. Current Corner & Incident Multipliers are shown below in Table 3.6. Note that incidents are counted throughout each session, including during the cool-down period after the checkered flag has been shown.

(session) (multiplier)
Practice 0.0
Lone Qualifying (Oval) 0.35
Open Qualifying (Road) 0.5
Time Trial 0.35
Race Warm Up 0.5
Unofficial Race 0.35
Official Race 1.0

As you can see, time trials and warmups etc will have much less of an effect on your SR, both good and bad. If you do 10 corners in a lone qualifying session, only 3.5 corners will be added to your docket, and 35% of your incident points.
They just called Dave Williams a rookie.

Yes, I know it's his first iWS start thing :P
Quote from J@tko :They just called Dave Williams a rookie.

What an arse for a commentator anyway :P
Wow. Huttu NOT going to win?
jesse still as awesome as ever \: D/
Wow... Well done Jesse Nieminen!
All Aussies are racist
Any chance to get the replay of the F1 race broadcast yesterday?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG