The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from mrodgers :You already have a wing. And lucky for you, unlike Jakg putting a wing on his and "being a ricer," your car came factory with a wing and 16 inch wheels over the standard GLS turbo. Since its factory, its not rice and therefore must be functional. I know I'm loving the added downforce of my wing on the Wolfsburg over the GLS. Had I not known it was factory, I would have just thought it was cosmetic and never would feel the difference....

Should Dustin chip his, he would indeed achieve much greater horsepower than 30, 150-209 hp and 162 to 242 lb-ft. Unfortunately, the overall result would be the same for me, just wouldn't be as much of a % increase from 180-209 and 173 -242 lb-ft (APR chip stage 1). So, no derogatory comments from me.

Mine actually isn't winged.

I have contemplated chipping mine as it'd get a nice little power boost. Then there's other stuff I could do to create a perky car that still has the drivewheels on the wrong end.
I know Dadge. He is a proper bastard.

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :LOL! No, those parts were not for the Honda. The Honda has been SORN'ed as it needs a full restoration. The firewall has two tiny rust holes (The only rust on the car, but in the hardest place to repair. Typical!) so I decided to take it off the road to save up funds to do the whole lot in one go. Respray, etc.

Haha, always the case. I had to rebuild the back end of my van because the small spot of rust was inaccessible, but unless it was fixed I'd never pass MOT.

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :It only pushed my traders policy up by £1100 instead of £1500 for the Honda. Crazy.

I've noticed something similar when looking at something more comfortable than Vanessa. A 2.5TD (BMW unit, if I recall the same one Jakg's Rover rocks) Vauxhall Omega, auto full spec would cost me £1,600 to insure. BMW 5 series with the same motor, auto full spec £1,500, yet a Range Rover with the exact same engine, auto full spec list would only cost ~£800 a year. So naturally I am going to pick up a P38.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I've noticed something similar when looking at something more comfortable than Vanessa. A 2.5TD (BMW unit, if I recall the same one Jakg's Rover rocks) Vauxhall Omega, auto full spec would cost me £1,600 to insure. BMW 5 series with the same motor, auto full spec £1,500, yet a Range Rover with the exact same engine, auto full spec list would only cost ~£800 a year. So naturally I am going to pick up a P38.

Yeah, it is certainly odd! The only reason I can think of is because of the names on the Logbook, and that most 19 year olds would not want to be seen dead in an old mans Lexus! The Honda is classed as a sports hatchback and says "SE Sport" in the logbook, hence the sports adaptive suspension, L.S.D, cosmetic kit etc. The Lexus is classed as a Luxury Saloon and only says "SE Executive" or something similar.

TBH, I have grown really fond of the Lexus and it is proving a car to use for work, but I miss the Honda dearly. It is a fantastic car to drive, and I love the looks and performance of it too. I cannot wait to get it back on the road.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Mine actually isn't winged.

Ah, I see now the 01 didn't have the wing.

Thank goodness I have all that downforce compared to you then. My 180 hp over your 150 really makes that wing a necessity. Thank goodness it is factory, therefore functional.

As for the remapping, I'd love to know how the 01 runs, because I love how mine runs. I'm not boy racer, just like the acceleration no matter what gear I'm in, what rpm I'm at, or how steep the hill in front of me is. I step on the throttle and the car accelerates. Sure beats constantly dropping down the gears just to hold slightly below the speed limit in the little wimpy 4 poppers I've previously had.
Quote from mrodgers :Ah, I see now the 01 didn't have the wing.

Thank goodness I have all that downforce compared to you then. My 180 hp over your 150 really makes that wing a necessity. Thank goodness it is factory, therefore functional

The vast majority of factory wings/splitters generate more drag than they do down force, as they are aesthetic items. And barely make a difference to the lift the cars aero package is designed to generate.

And lets not forget that any down force would only kick in at high speeds, so you'll never notice the difference in the bendy bits. But enjoy a blunted top end and higher fuel usage compared to an identical but non-winged vehicle.
i thought that the insurance price was all based on crash tests, thats what i was told by the insurance company iirc
Quote from logitekg25 :i thought that the insurance price was all based on crash tests, thats what i was told by the insurance company iirc

you're like a retarded puppy dog.

so stupid, but so cute you can't hate it.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The vast majority of factory wings/splitters generate more drag than they do down force, as they are aesthetic items. And barely make a difference to the lift the cars aero package is designed to generate.

And lets not forget that any down force would only kick in at high speeds, so you'll never notice the difference in the bendy bits. But enjoy a blunted top end and higher fuel usage compared to an identical but non-winged vehicle.

Hmm.... and I thought you Brits were suppose to be the superior beings in the realm of sarcasm, yet you don't catch it when you see it......

Quote from logitekg25 :i thought that the insurance price was all based on crash tests...

Car insurance rates (in the US) are based on value of the car, safety features, usage of the car (they ask you if it is a work commuter and how far the commute is) and age/sex of the driver.

I pay less for full comp coverage on my 2003 Jetta than I did for the cheapest liability only on a 1994 Civic. I'm also old enough to be your daddy, so my age has a lot to do with the fact that I can pull out the pocket change and pay my car insurance.
Quote from mrodgers :Ah, I see now the 01 didn't have the wing.

Thank goodness I have all that downforce compared to you then. My 180 hp over your 150 really makes that wing a necessity. Thank goodness it is factory, therefore functional.

As for the remapping, I'd love to know how the 01 runs, because I love how mine runs. I'm not boy racer, just like the acceleration no matter what gear I'm in, what rpm I'm at, or how steep the hill in front of me is. I step on the throttle and the car accelerates. Sure beats constantly dropping down the gears just to hold slightly below the speed limit in the little wimpy 4 poppers I've previously had.

The 01 is extremely nice for acceleration. No matter where I am, I can easily accelerate. Except in this god forskaen snow. Although strangely doesn't suck in snow either.
Quote from mrodgers :Hmm.... and I thought you Brits were suppose to be the superior beings in the realm of sarcasm, yet you don't catch it when you see it......

I was aware it was sarcasm, but as it was the 3rd time you used it I felt it prudent to comment to make sure some of the children don't take it as gospel.
I think I'm gonna install 2 wings, and a diffuser. need more downforce at the rear. the rear slides out too much in the corners. Damn FWD.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :
P.S @ Jamie, in all seriousness now. If you do get your car remapped, but cannot get a switchable map for your next M.O.T time, I can point you in the direction of my Brother if you are not too far from Birmingham. He is an M.O.T tester there, so I could always ask him to let the "modified" ECU slide.

Thank you I will consider it should I need it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I think I'm gonna install 2 wings, and a diffuser. need more downforce at the rear. the rear slides out too much in the corners. Damn FWD.

:feedtroll
Downforce don't cure lift-off oversteer. People think it does though. A diffuser? Cmon... they are only useful when a car is going very fast indeed
Quote from BlueFlame :Downforce don't cure lift-off oversteer. People think it does though. A diffuser? Cmon... they are only useful when a car is going very fast indeed

you don't need to go fast to get down force. you just need a big enough wing/diffuser.
Quote from dadge :you don't need to go fast to get down force. you just need a big enough wing/diffuser.

Without the under side of the car being fully covered and without air guidance (small "fences" from front to back) a diffuser will be pretty useless...

Edit: Plus a minimal ride height.
Quote from 5tag :Without the under side of the car being fully covered and without air guidance (small "fences" from front to back) a diffuser will be pretty useless...

Edit: Plus a minimal ride height.

i assumed we were talking about a working wing/diffuser.
Quote from dadge :i assumed we were talking about a working wing/diffuser.

A wing (that stands out properly from the rest of the cars shape in contrast to a spoiler) will work standalone, a diffuser won't.

And yes, you do have to go fast to get downforce in a reasonable amount because air drag/lift/downforce rise exponentially related to the speed.
Quote from 5tag :

And yes, you do have to go fast to get downforce in a reasonable amount because air drag/lift/downforce rise exponentially related to the speed.

so would adding more wing increase low speed downforce?
the reason i ask is because that's what i was getting at when i posted:
Quote from dadge :you don't need to go fast to get down force. you just need a big enough wing/diffuser.

Quote from dadge :so would adding more wing increase low speed downforce?
the reason i ask is because that's what i was getting at when i posted:

Does your weight lower after you loose three hairs? Yes but will it improve your 100m sprint time?
Quote from 5tag :Does your weight lower after you loose three hairs? Yes but will it improve your 100m sprint time?

in a race against a wookie, yes. even the slightest improvement is an improvement non-the-less.
WRC cars use wings and they don't handle too well at low speed without them. anyways, i think we're veering off topic.
Testing the (crappish) camera on the Wildfire..

1999 Vauxhall Corsa B
nice corsa
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG