The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Stating the obvious here but the aussie v8 is very different to drive than most other professional race cars in real life and is known to be a handful. You hear comment from visiting drivers to the V8Supercar serries all the time in this regard and is no different in iracing. You get the impression though that it is a much liked car by drivers in real life and it seems you either love it or hate it in iRacing. I personally love the car and feel it responds very well to brake throttle balance which is why I love it so much.

Recent upgrades have helped make it feel more planted and enabled slightly earlier and more aggressive throttle application than previous. I don't personally think that the v8's handling is any more off than any of the other cars in iRacing though and would only expect new changes to be in increments not leaps and bounds. It will always be a car that requires fine throttle control at the limits just look at how many videos of footwork out there require very careful and considered throttle application.

It's easier to drive than the SRF (I also love that car )
Sounds like I really should buy it when I am no longer holding a rookie license

By the way, my license should get promoted once my safety rating reaches 4.00 right? How does the whole license thing work anyway? I tried to read the sporting code but it's a bit confusing.
Beano, ive jsut added you as a friend so hopefully I canget some races in with you and dustin
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Sounds like I really should buy it when I am no longer holding a rookie license

By the way, my license should get promoted once my safety rating reaches 4.00 right? How does the whole license thing work anyway? I tried to read the sporting code but it's a bit confusing.

I don't think you should unless you have cash to burn, it's fine if you want a bit of a challenge but almost totally pointless for racing with it compared to other cars you could buy. This week there has not yet been 1 official race at Infineon... You can check historic participation stats on this spreadsheet.

If you're going to be buying anything it has to be the Skippy, Star Mazda or even the Jetta for some good multiclass fun, and get the tracks used most often (Watkins, Sillystone, Zandvoort, Spa, Road Atlanta etc)

For licences, 4.00 bumps you up a licence straight away as long as you've done your MPR, and it's essentially a realignment of your rating - you lose 1.00 everytime you move up (ie I am B 2.35 but also R 5.35) but it's also harder to keep the higher licences unless you get less incidents.

Just read the forum tbh, much easier to get info there than from the sporting code

Quote from R3DMAN :Beano, ive jsut added you as a friend so hopefully I canget some races in with you and dustin

Splits are done by iRating so being a friend won't affect whether you race him or not
Quote from boothy :Splits are done by iRating so being a friend won't affect whether you race him or not

I've certainly read somewhere that if you have each other as friends then you are more likely to race together.

My iR is crap due to me being beaten like a ginger stepchild on regular occasions
well that pissed on my bonfire.

what does studied means on player profiles?
Quote from Bean0 :

My iR is crap due to me being beaten like a ginger stepchild on regular occasions

Just keep lapping for an hour. That's what I do
Quote from Bean0 :I've certainly read somewhere that if you have each other as friends then you are more likely to race together.

Used to be the case at the start but it's not done now, purely on iRating now.

Quote from R3DMAN :what does studied means on player profiles?

you can either be friends with or study. All that means is a way you can see what people you've categorised as friends or studied are doing and an easy way to get to click on their profile.

If you do use the studied and friends there are some useful plugins for your browser. here and also here.
Quote from DeKo :I'l be running it, I can just about run a high 47.2 in qual, want to get faster and into a higher split though.

Nobody's done a 47.2, neither in quali nor practice..

Quote from Bean0 :It's probably still my favourite car, just there's no bloody official races.

I had Monday off to recover from MoE, so managed to join the 11am one full of Aussies, it's the only time I've seen sufficient numbers

Well then you haven't been looking! We get official races every Friday, Sunday, Saturday and Monday. (Friday and Sunday 20:45 GMT are the biggest ones in the Euro time zones, with at least one of them getting a split)

As for how the car feels now.. I agree that it desperately needs a new tire model. But that's not stopping me! It's great fun the way it is now. And after driving the KS Vintage it feels as precise as a surgeon's scalpel!
Quote from Gnomie :Nobody's done a 47.2, neither in quali nor practice..

My fastest lap in race trim in a draft is a 46.6, my fastest 2 lap qualifying is a 47.2 with qual tape. 47.2 is easy enough, the DWC guys were running 47.1's in qual, and people are doing 47.0's by doing burnouts in 4th in the grass before their run.

Edit: sorry, I was replying to a post about running the Daytona 500, I can see now that you thought I was talking about the V8.
I have just signed up for iRacing because of the 1 month free trial. I do find it much harder to drive on iRacing than LFS. I also find the servers to be slow as I time out on their website often. Still, it is very addicting as I try to get my Lime Rock time down in the MX5.
Quote from MINIz guy :I have just signed up for iRacing because of the 1 month free trial.

Where can you get this?
What a ****ing disaster, at exactly the time the Daytona 500 is meant to start, the whole website goes down. ****ing fantastic, iRacing.
The server crashed because of the Daytona 500 having so many people entered, it happened last year too.
So what happened last year? Did iRacing do their usual and ignore the problem, or did they reschedule?
Just join the race when the server comes back up and run the race because if you don't you'll be scored last and lose iRating. But last year they did reschedule it a week later.
How many entered the Daytona 500 this year? I completely ignored it because of what happened last year.
There were 1600+ people registered just before it crashed.

What I now find really funny, is that Shannon Whitmore has posted saying that the users are at fault for hitting refresh trying to get into the race. What a ****.
Yeah it's like when the Daytona 2.4 thing finished, everyone crashed the server checking their results... shock horror who'd have thought that when loads of people finish a race at the same time they'd want to check the results...

Maybe the web team should actually worry about proper stuff instead of Facebook integration. :rolleyes:
Holy shit, they rescheduled for 11:30 and it's crashed again. What a fuck up.
indeed... i hoped i could actually race but i think i will not even bother to re-run
its scheduled for 12:00am now (GMT)
Is the iRacing server always unstable like this or just when there is a big event? I just joined yesterday and it has been very laggy; is it always like this?

Anyway, I've been practicing the MX5 on Lime Rock. I've gotten down to 1:00.xxx lap times but need more time to get down into 0:59.xxx laps that are everywhere. Still great fun!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG