The online racing simulator
I would say the black should be a bit like a shadow, only on the "level" where the car is.
#252 - Don
black = no blur, white = 100% blur

so, irl if you focused on the car, the road around the car would also be sharp...
ok, another one, should be better now:

Heres my effort..

I had to resize it, because i never turned my AA up for the screeny, and it looked crap.

Well, worse then it does now anyway..
Attached images
blurr.jpg
Quote from inCogNito :ok, another one, should be better now:

Looks a lot more like it :up:
First Corner
Attached images
first_corner.jpg
Quote from Don :black = no blur, white = 100% blur

so, irl if you focused on the car, the road around the car would also be sharp...

Sometimes I tend to hate these tutorials and hints for TOTAL noobs... it's really boring and kinda sad to browse many pages of questions about so basic and apparent things...

What I mean here is the fact that DoN (i guess) had put some huge load of hours into these pictures, playing with them, studying real photographs or even making his own to see how the things really work. If you spend this time (years guys, not minutes, years!) studying and learning something, the knowledge is sticky inside your head and everything is clear to you.
But if you always try to cheat like "hey how to make such cool picture" your knowledge will be restricted to only making this one and only pic (lol) and once the camera angle changes even a bit, you are totally lost.

What is the purpose of that??? illepall
You tell DoN, your answer will be even more interesting.
Quote from RAYfighter :Sometimes I tend to hate these tutorials and hints for TOTAL noobs... it's really boring and kinda sad to browse many pages of questions about so basic and apparent things...

What I mean here is the fact that DoN (i guess) had put some huge load of hours into these pictures, playing with them, studying real photographs or even making his own to see how the things really work. If you spend this time (years guys, not minutes, years!) studying and learning something, the knowledge is sticky inside your head and everything is clear to you.
But if you always try to cheat like "hey how to make such cool picture" your knowledge will be restricted to only making this one and only pic (lol) and once the camera angle changes even a bit, you are totally lost.

What is the purpose of that??? illepall
You tell DoN, your answer will be even more interesting.

God sake - First the renders, now this?

People will practice, and when you practice you learn. Don just gave us noobs somewhere to start, for which i thank him.

When i first opened 3d max up, i had no idea how to use anything - Now i can add parts and imo, make some alright renders, nothing special, but each time i open 3d max i learn something new, why wouldnt it be the same for photoshop?

Everyone has to start somewhere. Tutorials are a good place to start learning about how different features work.
Quote from RAYfighter :Sometimes I tend to hate these tutorials and hints for TOTAL noobs...

Mate, even when people give you a guide on how to get a specific effect, usually it helps you LEARN how the effect is made, and often give you ideas on how to create something entirely new.. paving the way for trying new ideas and furthering your knowledge.

Quote from RAYfighter :it's really boring and kinda sad to browse many pages of questions about so basic and apparent things...

It is indeed sad that you browse these pages if everything is "apparent" to you. To others who are genuinely interested, it's like having a class with a teacher - you can pick up quite alot of info from them.

Quote from RAYfighter : What I mean here is the fact that DoN (i guess) had put some huge load of hours into these pictures, playing with them, studying real photographs or even making his own to see how the things really work.

Yes, and unless im mistaken it's DoN who is supplying these tutorials. If you're new to Photoshop, reading some simple tutorials won't make you an "instant DoN", but it's starting you down the road to learning isnt it?

i respect that the opinion is your own but i would seriously say lose the ego - we were once all newbies (some still are?)

You have to start from somewhere, what's the point of poking around in the dark when there are people willing to give you tips and help you out.
Rayfighter, with an attitude like yours we would still throw rocks at apes.

Wake up, it's the 21st century, we got the internet, learn how it works. It's all about information.
Such great things like wikipedia would never happen, if everyone keeps his little secrets for themselves.

I guess you complained about inferno's setupfield as well, because people just downloading sets instead of learning building them.

You should thank don for sharing his knowledge instead of blaming him. illepall
Because that's what you are doing. You can't blame those who read it, only the one who wrote it.
Yeah, if it weren't for my brother (who works in CG and Photoshop) and tips from DoN and Orion, I wouldn't be where I am now. I thank them for helping me get there and I would gladly help anyone if they asked. Wake up and smell the modem, Rayfighter.
I think this is again the same thing as in the thread about Ian's (great) 3dsmax "ready to click render"-scenes.
On the one hand, people who have not much experience with gfx programs can learn simply by seeing how others have done things, and stepping into a "running process" makes experimenting much easier, as you have something to start with.
This is good - people trying and experimenting with gfx programs is of course good!
My opinion is that everyone can do art, it's all about trying and seeing how it goes! And a bit of perfectionism and passion can't be wrong either.

But on the other hand, some people dont use those files to get started - they just use it "as it is" and dont even think about progress. This is the point where I begin to doubt if they "deserve" to get hand of help like this, as they don't see it as a challenge to get things started, but use it in order to "produce" renders/images - whatever - to use them as "advertisement", or to have something that looks better than other images which were created without such a tutorial.
As soon as you use those helps without thinking about them, it's not good.
Every kind of art plays with emotions, and when the author just clicks "render", there is nothing. You could call it dead art Only the emotions from the author of the turorials will be there, and additionally all the images will look the same. "Copy-andPaste-Art"...
For me, it's much nicer to see the progress of an artist rather than a good project, simply because it shows that those tutorials etc. were worth their effort, and it's always a pleasure to watch people growing!
Well, some people are not interested in creating 'Art' and use the tutorials "as they are" like you say, yes. I don't see much wrong with that, 'cause they will never make outstanding images so they'll never be wrongly praised either... Upside is they do get to have reasonably nice pics of their skins too.

Anyhoo, back OT, here is my first attempt using the Lens-Blur tutorial. First i only seperated my own car in the front, but that made it look very cut-out, so I also made the second car a bit darker grey in the depth map so it would add to the 3D feeling (notice how I used the tutorial as a springboard there? ).

Ah well, here it is.
Attached images
Screen1.jpg
Quote from bobvanvliet :notice how I used the tutorial as a springboard there?

hehe
very nice skin btw
My first 2 efforts, and I mean ever. Never even used Photoshop (or in this case, GIMP) before. So, go easy on me

1/ Mr Sparkle being taken out by the AI (great skin whoever made it)
2/ A stack I saw in multiplayer

How can you make the pics bigger without getting pixelation?
Attached images
XFR4blur.jpg
FO8crash.jpg
Quote from farcar :How can you make the pics bigger without getting pixelation?

not easily at all; you pretty much have to redraw it by hand
#267 - Don
in lfs options->screen-> there you choose resolution
You can also enable Anti-Aliasing in your GFX Control Panel
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :Mate, even when people give you a guide on how to get a specific effect, usually it helps you LEARN how the effect is made, and often give you ideas on how to create something entirely new.. paving the way for trying new ideas and furthering your knowledge.

It is indeed sad that you browse these pages if everything is "apparent" to you. To others who are genuinely interested, it's like having a class with a teacher - you can pick up quite alot of info from them.

Yes, and unless im mistaken it's DoN who is supplying these tutorials. If you're new to Photoshop, reading some simple tutorials won't make you an "instant DoN", but it's starting you down the road to learning isnt it?

i respect that the opinion is your own but i would seriously say lose the ego - we were once all newbies (some still are?)

You have to start from somewhere, what's the point of poking around in the dark when there are people willing to give you tips and help you out.

This and few other flaming replies... sigh guys, please, don't talk about an ego allright? I understand that if a young boy is fascinated by the technology (max, photoshop in this case) he wants to learn the tool and I will help him as much as I can, for free, from my time, because I simply love to see him advancing. I'm doing this in my real life too - getting youngsters to our studio giving them all my years of (yeah exactly like you have put it hehe) my tapping in the dark just right here, on my hand. And they are happy and thankfull, I love that mutual feeling.

I was talking about the other kind of experience, though. Not the tool, that's the easy part. Look at Ian's rendering factory.
I have meant (and mentioned too) the fact, that if you are learning and studying in the natural way, when you really take the camera, go outside, shoot the car, thinking about that on place, bringing the picture at your desktop, comparing your eye perception on site with what you see on your monitor, experimenting .... blablabla... you got the picture, i hope.
You got plenty of time for sorting out the experiences, which leads to better results. Your brain is perfectly ready to make the right decision when you are in the middle of your artisting excitement.
While if you take the shortcut in learning, your knowledge will be shallow.
So will be your artwork, I'm affraid.

sorry for my bad english, it's sad to hear that it sounded arrogant, it wasn't meant to.

Would be great to hear what YOU think about that, DoN...
Quote from farcar :How can you make the pics bigger without getting pixelation?

Try using a resample algorithm when resizing. They aren't perfect, but it's better than nothing.
I have just remembered that my father found a nice resizing program called spline a couple of years ago, so I decided to google for it, but it took a while to find a the correct program again. It was VERY powerful even a couple of years ago, but I was a total gfx noob those days and thus didnt use it.

http://www.hwupgrade.it/download/file/1559.html
Quote from deggis :First Corner

Now if you have this in way higher res, I would have my new desktop background
I like that.

Edited pics
(14119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG