The online racing simulator
H.I.D (High Intensity Discharge)
(134 posts, started )
Osram nightbreakers don't last anywhere near as long as a hid bulb though, I replaced some nightbreakers after just 4 months when they popped. It's down to personal preference at the end of the day though. I love the extra visibility and clarity of hids.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Oh sorry, because I'm young, live by myself and have bills and responsibilities, combined with the fact I have (well, don't have, rather choose) to keep two vehicles (my bike and my car, and my bike takes precident) on the road, which means when it comes to my 4 wheeled transport I can't quite afford a BMW or an Audi or whatever heap of shit you would consider to be "respectable".

I didn't say anything of the sort. I'm quite happy to drive around in cheap shitheaps so long as everything I need to carry fits in there and it's reliable that's all I care about.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :If I had a normal Corsa, you wouldn't be saying it's a cock's car, the fact that it's been modified (regardless of how well/not well, in any event), you automatically jump on the whole "OMFG U R COCK" bandwagon.

It's not a bandwagon effect, it's because all the cars with stupid blue headlights I ever see are being driven twattishly by twats.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :But yes, I am a cock, never argued otherwise. In fact I'm the first to admit it!

Well what are you arguing about then?
Ah so this boils down to a stereotype? Can you say that 100% of drivers with HIDs are twats? Thought not.
When I read the title, I thought it was some sort of hospital word lingo used in a maternity ward.
I just had some high intensity discharge in the shower.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ah so this boils down to a stereotype? Can you say that 100% of drivers with HIDs are twats? Thought not.

No, but I can say that 100% of drivers that have retrofitted non-projector HID headlamps are twats.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ah so this boils down to a stereotype? Can you say that 100% of drivers with HIDs are twats? Thought not.

Oh I wouldn't dream of it. The same way some people who put underlighting on their cars probably aren't twats...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Oh I wouldn't dream of it. The same way some people who put underlighting on their cars probably aren't twats...

Oh give over you uptight Northerner. I'm sure people who put underlighting on their cars aren't twats as I have them, but neither did I fit them or use them.

Seriously Kev, it seems that every time you don't like something, it makes whoever has it/uses it/likes it, a twat or a cock. Not a very accepting way of looking at the world is it?

Quote from wheel4hummer :No, but I can say that 100% of drivers that have retrofitted non-projector HID headlamps are twats.

Lucky for me that my Corsa has projecter lights
#84 - JJ72
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I just had some high intensity discharge in the shower.

wtf you pee while you shower????!!!!!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm sure people who put underlighting on their cars aren't twats as I have them, but neither did I fit them or use them.

Ahahahaha, underlighters on a Corsa, comedy gold

No.
Quote from danowat :Ahahahaha, underlighters on a Corsa, comedy gold

If by underlights he and you mean those gayish neon tubes > link < then putting them on any car is comedy gold. One of the most idiotic rice-tuning things.
Quote from wheel4hummer :When a vehicle comes with HIDs, they're in proper projectors that don't scatter light all over the place and blind everyone.

Would be nice if all the car companies followed the rules but japan seems to think they are special.
Toyota does not follow those rules. About 99.95% of Toyota (and their Lexus brand is 100% blinding)
If you look at the Beam angle, there isn't one. It's straight out from the bulb on low beam and everywhere on high beam.

Don't even bother with the HID kit or a Xenon kit. Save yourself a lot of time, money, and have the car pass MOT.
Just use relays with your existing housings and bulbs.
You lose a lot of power to your lights through switches and a hell of a lot of undersized wiring. A few bucks in wiring and relays along with a few hours of work and holy ****, you can see!

I have no idea why people like the blue tint. I can see better with regular WHITE light.

Every time I get blinded by a cars headlights, it's some ***** with a Toyota/Lexus or some idiot with an aftermarket HID kit.
If I am going the other way and you have one of the above, I am returning the favor and you are going to be seeing spots.

I have a question, In how many countries is it legal to drive around with your fog lights AND headlights on? I am starting to get annoyed at people with blinding fog lights as well.
Fog lights aren't as bright as normal headlights, because the idea is that a) Fog is thinner just above the ground so you may be able to see futher, and b) any refraction (there should be less because the lights are not as bright anyway) would not be directly in your line of site.

Sure, they're annoying but they don't "blind" you any more than normal lights.

"Normal" Halogen bulbs are around 3000k. Xenons start at 4300k, personally mine has 6000k as I didn't want an "OMFG BLUE", just a nice tinge to the light.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Oh give over you uptight Northerner. I'm sure people who put underlighting on their cars aren't twats as I have them, but neither did I fit them or use them.

OMFG! Hahaha.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Seriously Kev, it seems that every time you don't like something, it makes whoever has it/uses it/likes it, a twat or a cock. Not a very accepting way of looking at the world is it?

Oh man you have no idea do you. How old are you now? Old enough to know better I'm sure.
Yeah, Kev hasn't told you about all his experiences with bummers. I'm pretty sure that's rather accepting of him!

:hide:
#93 - senn
They have to cut off like the factory fitted ones do at a certain height, or they're a menace to other drivers. they DO blind you on an unlit backroad (or in some cases a well lit city street) if they aren't fitted to spec.
Car had It's mot yesterday, my ever so helpful testing station said that all they have to do is mask off the sidelights and the car lights can't be part of the test. They class it as not having lights fitted at the time, legal loophole :oD
How can a car pass the MOT with no lights fitted? Nevermind, I don't care.
Quote from morpha :How can a car pass the MOT with no lights fitted? Nevermind, I don't care.

Because he has friends who obviously work there, so they would let him off with certain things.
Daylight MOT?

Trouble is, these are the sort of MOT stations that put dangerous and un-roadworthy cars on the road, but hey, who gives a **** about other road users hey?
Exemptions—General

4.—(1) Where a provision is applied by these Regulations to a motor vehicle first used on or after a specified date it does not apply to any vehicle manufactured at least six months before that date.

(2) Where an exemption from, or a relaxation of, a provision is applied by these Regulations to a motor vehicle first used before a specified date it shall also apply to a motor vehicle first used on or after that date if it was manufactured at least six months before that date.

(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to–

(a)a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,

(b)an incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion,

(c)a pedal cycle,

(d)a pedestrian-controlled vehicle,

(e)a horse-drawn vehicle,

(f)a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand, or

(g)a combat vehicle.

(4) Without prejudice to regulation 16, for the purposes of these Regulations a lamp shall not be treated as being a lamp if it is–

(a)so painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use; or

(b)an electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity.

See (3) & (4)

Surprised it's passed an MOT with masked headlights, as this says different (though no specifics).
He said to do that if I go else where. The mot station ain't like that danowat. This was a retest after failing on Monday. They had to fit new main brake pipes, n/s rack end (advisories last year), number plate light, brake fluid and set tracking.

Get all my work done there, hopefully retro fitting washers n getting them tech 2'd onto car next month if I can source a same colour Vectra C Sri bumper
Quote from DejaVu :He said to do that if I go else where. The mot station ain't like that danowat. This was a retest after failing on Monday. They had to fit new main brake pipes, n/s rack end (advisories last year), number plate light, brake fluid and set tracking.

Get all my work done there, hopefully retro fitting washers n getting them tech 2'd onto car next month if I can source a same colour Vectra C Sri bumper

Interesting to hear that you take great care to give your "sick ride" fancy lights and bumpers but the brakes and steering were so bad they were dangerous.

H.I.D (High Intensity Discharge)
(134 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG