The online racing simulator
Android tablets are ready for primetime
(80 posts, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Just because people buy them, doesn't mean they're good or useful.

so basically what youre saying is all apple products are shit?
Too bad Apple products are useful.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Just because people buy them, doesn't mean they're good or useful.

Just look at the people that buy android phones.

Omg, you make me laugh everytime...
and also, apple sucks.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Too bad Apple products are useful.

You are such a fanboy it is unreal. Talk about falling into the marketing. Apple could sell a plate of shit called the iShit and you'd buy it.
I doubt a plate of shit would be useful so why would I buy it?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I doubt a plate of shit would be useful so why would I buy it?

you could carve pictures of yourself into the shit with your fingernail
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I doubt a plate of shit would be useful so why would I buy it?

it's useful if you're a gardener. see, even shit has a use.
Dustin is a consummate troll. Hat's off.
Apple products are like Porsche imo, they give you less, charge you more. and their users think that everything else is rubbish.
Apple :o
Quote from thisnameistaken : like I said the software would make the decision for me) as a MIDI control surface as part of a portable recording studio would make a ton of sense and I'm thinking about getting one just for that. Someone needs to make a rack drawer for it so I can box it up with my audio interface and then it would be just perfect.

This sounds like a fun use for a tablet- but how would the touch screen go when it comes down to precise control? All the touchscreens I've used have been quite finicky and prone to lag- just checking the web now there seems to be atleast one professional use touchscreen midi controller by Jazzmutant but they don't look to be in production anymore.

I'm looking for reasons to get a tablet myself sometime- and using it for midi sounds like another idea, but I just wonder how practical this really is?

edit: this software might be worth checking out, but it's directed more at Dj's currently.
Quote from Bob Smith :More on topic, nice to see the Xoom supporting a bunch of audio codecs I've never heard of but not something free like Ogg. What good is a 720p display and H264 video support if all my media content will be played back mute?

PowerAMP supports just about everything, and costs just $4.99.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hey Dustin: ComScore: Android jumps ahead ... US smartphone subscribers

Not entirely true.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mob ... monthly-201101-201101-bar
Quote from dadge :Apple products are like Porsche imo, they give you less, charge you more. and their users think that everything else is rubbish.

Alienware would be better example tbh.
#65 - Woz
Quote from bunder9999 :okay, i think my conundrum has been solved...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets ... ble-life-as-a-netbook.ars

i don't have to buy a new laptop, and i can buy a new phone and computer at the same time...

how this isn't getting the attention the xoom is getting, is beyond me... this is truly genius.

Yep, this is a real game changer for me This sort of innovation, which is possible because of an open ecosystem, is what will make sure Driod is the new OS going forwards.

For many this will be all the computer needed. It also hooks into your HDTV as media player.

Epic phone.

Would have been even nicer of the phone hooked in as the track pad to give multi touch but can understand the design choices made as keeps the "laptop" thin
It's still not good at anything.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Alienware would be better example tbh.

Except Alienware have no taste.

On the subject of tablets, Galaxy tab seems useless to me compared to the iPad, but it's good that Google's going places with Android rather than sitting on their asses. It has got tons of little problems, just like the iOS I might add. But still iOS is more mature as a product and in this case control has proven to be king.

People who still think this new wave of tablets is anything like a convertible laptop from 2002... well basically shave off a lot of thickness, give it an excellent battery life, utilize a way better touch OS and so on. These are NOTHING like convertibles. I tried a friend's HP 2740p (or something like that) and while it was well made for a Windows laptop and its touch was working ok, it's just not the same thing. It does have its uses, don't get me wrong. Or in many ways it actually has a use rather than just being fun.

I own an iPad and I think while it can't do everything a netbook can with its ports and full Windows, it does everything it can so much better than a netbook that I never use my laptop anymore (not even a netbook that one).

Oi by the way. What's this about laptops being a gimmick? It was an exciting feature at the time, but a good laptop still has its uses. You know one with actual battery life and not some Alienware gaming scrap. That, enough power and proper human interface devices, unlike a netbook.
#68 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's still not good at anything.

Personally I would never consider a purchase of anything made by Apple because of how they do business. I know many many others that feel the same way.

I believe Apple are about to repeat history. Years ago when Windows was young Apple had a great OS but would not let others play with their Toys. Microsoft allowed others to make hardware that worked with Windows. The rest is now history.

The same is now starting to happen again in the phone/portable world except this time Driod is "Windows". Droid has already overtaken iOS device sales and will continue to grow and outpace iOS.

Apple only have themselves to blame for this because of their controlling ways. The rate of innovation and change in the Driod ecosystem will soon mean Apple are playing catch up. You can see their are already scared of this because they have started to wheel out the patents to try and slow Driods momentum.

Apple makes some great toys but they have one massive fatal flaw.... Apple
#69 - Woz
Quote from dadge :although i enjoy kicking apple users when i get the chance. that chart doesn't explain that the apple OS is only available on apple products. android is available on a much wider base.
it's like having a chart to show that a ford focus is more popular than a bugatti vayron....

No it doesn't, it just shows smartphones so is a valid. As said above. The fact Apple does not allow others to make iOS devices will be their downfall..... again
Quote from Woz :No it doesn't, it just shows smartphones so is a valid. As said above. The fact Apple does not allow others to make iOS devices will be their downfall..... again

so, 1 apple iphone vs all smart phones with android installed on it. so the chart is invalid. again.
they should have used one smartphone for the chart to be more fair imo. i still might be wrong (you might be too)but we all have our own opinions.
#73 - Woz
Quote from dadge :so, 1 apple iphone vs all smart phones with android installed on it. so the chart is invalid. again.
they should have used one smartphone for the chart to be more fair imo. i still might be wrong (you might be too)but we all have our own opinions.

You need to re-read the chart again, you are too hung up on phones. The chart is about OS usage not which phone has sold more. It's Apples own stupid fault that they do not allow anyone else to use iOS.

Had they opened iOS to others there would be no Andriod and they would own the phone market. Instead they made the same dumb mistake as before, their ultimate loss as all figures are starting to show.
Quote from Electrik Kar :This sounds like a fun use for a tablet- but how would the touch screen go when it comes down to precise control? All the touchscreens I've used have been quite finicky and prone to lag

There does tend to be a bit of that, like I said the software would have to be very good. But the alternatives are use on-screen controls in your DAW with a mouse which can't be any better than a touchscreen MIDI interface, or buy a dedicated controller like the Digi 003 which would probably be more expensive and certainly be less flexible.

TBH though in terms of portable recording I suppose there's not much use for control surfaces anyway, it's something that would be more useful for mixing and it's rare that I do any mixing outside of my own studio. So maybe it doesn't need to be that portable after all.
Quote from thisnameistaken :the alternatives are use on-screen controls in your DAW with a mouse which can't be any better than a touchscreen MIDI interface, or buy a dedicated controller like the Digi 003 which would probably be more expensive and certainly be less flexible.

Sure. When you said midi controller I started thinking in terms of keyboard controllers- which I need to buy sometime here. I don't need anything too fancy actually- just something that will let me quickly throw some notes into Cubase or something.

Android tablets are ready for primetime
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG