The online racing simulator
LFS & Graphics Cards
(10 posts, started )
LFS & Graphics Cards
On Saturday I personally got to witness how much less GPU juice LFS needs compared to other modern games.

My old trusty FX5200 was adequate for LFS, I could play for days without a problem. Come Saturday I decided to try WoW. Managed to play for a few hours non-stop and BANG! music looped for a second, PC crashed completely, and the monitor went blank. WTF?! I looked at the beige box quizzically and then I smelled the scent of a burnt component. There went the VGA, didn't last very long in Real Gaming

So I decided to get a brand spanking new system, planned the component purchase on Sunday, ordered on Monday and got the parts on Tuesday morning. Back in business in the evening after tussling with too short power cables and SATA/PATA combinations for several hours.

But now it works Good going, only cost me almost exactly £500 including VAT and P&P

And now I get to play LFS with 160 FPS instead of 80, lol
Yeah, the FX series was total garbage (rubbish for you brits).
#3 - ORION
5900 Ultra wasnt that bad tho :P
#4 - wE1l
I play LFS on my notebook which has a 16M Geforce4 420 Go. Got about 1-7 fps on race starts, and about 15 in the race if no one is near me. Around 20 fps when hotlapping.

But I can't even get rFactor or NetKar pro started with my laptop, so I guess LFS is relatively more forgiving as for GPU power.
5200 ?? you tried a 5200 with WoW... hah.. what did you get like 5 fps?

FXs arent that bad (well.. depending on what you want to do obviously) i have a 5600 and run lfs windowed at 1024x usually with some music out (no AA and no AF of course) with highest settings (well.. besides dynamic lod) with my 5600 and i everywhere but starts i have 80-100 so FPS

on a 3 ghz dell .. 4600 i believe from '04.. 512 mb ram (which i really need to upgrade)

on my 5200 though back when i got the dell, it ran okay.. ran with same settings i do now, just limited my fps to 45 for jumpy reasons, which it didnt really go over it that much, so i dont see how a 5200 could run WoW that well lol
It ran very well actually. No loading delays, smooth as silk (with a realistic resolution, no AA, no AF, no shadows etc) It ran LFS at 80 FPS which isn't too shabby either

Another rant about WoW:
Blizzard is unbelievably f***ing useless with supplying mandatory patches. That P2P rubbish is going at 2 kB/s and I can't find a mirror (for the enGB, enUS there are plenty of course..). Either I wait 3 days downloading a patch or pay for a FilePlanet subscription for something that should be free and instant. Blizz sucks, WoW updater sucks.
What id you upgrade to???

Quote from NotAnIllusion :On Saturday I personally got to witness how much less GPU juice LFS needs compared to other modern games.

My old trusty FX5200 was adequate for LFS, I could play for days without a problem. Come Saturday I decided to try WoW. Managed to play for a few hours non-stop and BANG! music looped for a second, PC crashed completely, and the monitor went blank. WTF?! I looked at the beige box quizzically and then I smelled the scent of a burnt component. There went the VGA, didn't last very long in Real Gaming

So I decided to get a brand spanking new system, planned the component purchase on Sunday, ordered on Monday and got the parts on Tuesday morning. Back in business in the evening after tussling with too short power cables and SATA/PATA combinations for several hours.

But now it works Good going, only cost me almost exactly £500 including VAT and P&P

And now I get to play LFS with 160 FPS instead of 80, lol

I have a 5700LE 128MB... which i have overclocked to hell and back. core from 250 to 500 and memory from ...350? to 500.

I get (absolute minimum) 30fps @1280x1024x32, 8xAF, 2xAA, with clr+sky, vsync.

LFS is very light on graphics.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I run an AGP 6800GT at high detail settings and 2xAA. I get about 40-60fps (up to 150fps on external replays) @ 1680x1050 resolution. My next system will be PCIe SLI, which will be a huge step up. The game runs great on my current machine though.

LFS & Graphics Cards
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG