The online racing simulator
Islamic Jihadists in Sweden
(76 posts, started )
Quote from flymike91 :I don't see extremist Islam as a religious movement, they are a political force whose end goal is global sharia law, simple as that.

Sweden is hopefully starting to see that all these "refugees" they are letting in are actually somali/palestinian/pakistani extremists. Norway needs to listen up too.

The above message was brought to you by FOX Entertainment. No brain cells were injured in the manufacturing of said post.
Quote from ATHome :People that died due to the heatwave in 2003, only in Germany - ~9000

I looked that up (just to compare the heat to where I live tbh) and only could find this line "Around 300 people—mostly elderly—died during the 2003 heatwave in Germany."
#28 - 5haz
[FLIPPANT]Its blatantly just the tip of a massive underying conspiracy by red dress wearing space lizards to keep us all frightened.[/FLIPPANT]
Quote from DevilDare :Well... Quran states quite a few times actually to kill those who do not accept or believe in Allah... Yeah...

No it doesn't. Jihad means "struggle," and is most often used in the context of personal struggles of faith. In extreme cases in the scriptures, it references wars in defense of the religion, to protect it from persecution and extinction. In its original message/meaning, it has nothing to do with crusading or offensive action, and certainly does not mandate the killing of those of other faiths.
Quote from amp88 :The above message was brought to you by FOX Entertainment. No brain cells were injured in the manufacturing of said post.

however uncountable numbers were and are being hurt by reading it
Quote from amp88 :The above message was brought to you by FOX Entertainment. No brain cells were injured in the manufacturing of said post.

Quote from Shotglass :however uncountable numbers were and are being hurt by reading it

ah of course conservative views did not exist before fox news. If Jihad isn't a political movement, then what is it? And how exactly is foreign policy harmed by treating Islamic extremism as such? I get the feeling you guys can just splutter some stuff about Fox or Palin or maybe throw Beck in somewhere and you pat each other on the back for uncovering such a poignant truth
As Al-Qaida said (maybe) that they would do some attacks in USA and Europe in Christmas. Just makes me think, what if Europe and USA would strike to Islam countries at their Ramadan, that would cause huge madness and they would blow the whole world up.
Quote from flymike91 :If Jihad isn't a political movement, then what is it?

Quote from MAGGOT :Jihad means "struggle," and is most often used in the context of personal struggles of faith. In extreme cases in the scriptures, it references wars in defense of the religion, to protect it from persecution and extinction. In its original message/meaning, it has nothing to do with crusading or offensive action, and certainly does not mandate the killing of those of other faiths.

Like most Americans, you don't seem to know what a Jihad actually is, you just listen to your moving picture shows.

All that being said, fighting extremists is a very difficult thing to do. They will never change their mindset, and killing them just creates another martyr.

[EDIT] Mildly on topic. This is, more or less, how the current accepted meaning of "Jihad" came to be, along with all religious doctrine twisted into something ugly and hate-filled:

That kind of thinking, anyways.
Quote from flymike91 :ah of course conservative views did not exist before fox news.

Of course they did, but to people who do hold conservative views (which in this context can mean xenophobia, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, jingoism and more) FOX works to legitimise and re-enforce those views. Any semi-informed viewer of FOX 'News' can see that they put a massive bias on pieces to portray their own agenda. News providers are supposed to be unbiased and although this is extremely difficult (or even impossible) FOX 'News' are horribly bad at it. That they can get anyone to believe their slogan is a shocking indictment on society.

Quote from flymike91 :If Jihad isn't a political movement, then what is it?

Well, I'm assuming by "jihad" you're directly associating it with the violent attacks by extremists, rather than the real definition of the term. Yes, the violent extremists use the term jihad to incite and execute attacks on people they see as their enemies, but it's not a lot different from other extremists (religious or not) using whatever else they want to justify their views. For some examples see the history of the KKK, Red Army Faction, the IRA/PIRA and many other organisations.

Quote from flymike91 :And how exactly is foreign policy harmed by treating Islamic extremism as such?

The problem is that understanding the issues is all about nuance. To understand extremists and their actions you need to know their motivations and aims. To be informed about this takes a lot of time and effort to look at historical events and other literature. The average news viewer (and, it seems, especially the average FOX 'News' viewer) won't (or can't) put in the required time, so the news producers need to try and simplify or dumb everything down so the average Joe can understand it. This often means totally missing the nuance that you need to actually understand any of it.

Quote from flymike91 :I get the feeling you guys can just splutter some stuff about Fox or Palin or maybe throw Beck in somewhere and you pat each other on the back for uncovering such a poignant truth

The problem is that since the United States is one of the most powerful countries in the world their actions, by definition, have a big impact on the rest of us. If someone else like Bush is elected (which Palin seems to be) then we could be in for even more trouble than we're currently in.
#36 - aoun
Quote from MAGGOT :No it doesn't. Jihad means "struggle," and is most often used in the context of personal struggles of faith. In extreme cases in the scriptures, it references wars in defense of the religion, to protect it from persecution and extinction. In its original message/meaning, it has nothing to do with crusading or offensive action, and certainly does not mandate the killing of those of other faiths.

For someone who is not Arab or muslim, that's the best definition I've ever heard.
Quote from ATHome :I find it rather amusing that so many people tend to freak out about all the so called terror threat.

People killed in assaults since 2001 in Europe - 247
People killed due to thunder-storms in the same time - 256
People that died due to the heatwave in 2003, only in Germany - ~9000

So, where are the big "freaking-out-in-fear" headlines in the news about heat-waves and thunder-storms?

Those are all natural disasters which we dont have any control off and cant do anything about.
Quote from DevilDare :Those are all natural disasters which we dont have any control off and cant do anything about.

Neither can you control people's actions or emotions.

FYI - Wars do not count as terrorist attacks. Generally the invading party are the ones that choose to go to war, perhaps not even for the right reasons. They can't them complain when someone dies.
Quote from amp88 :Of course they did, but to people who do hold conservative views (which in this context can mean xenophobia, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, jingoism and more) FOX works to legitimise and re-enforce those views.

That is very offensive. To paint all conservatives with the most detestable words you could find is just...what a dick you are.
The proof that you've never actually watched FOX news is that you call them anti-semites. I contend that the European media outlets are RIDICULOUSLY anti-semetic. Everything that is presented to you about Israel is about the horrors of zionism, how the poor depraved Palestinians are forced to bomb the shit out of the jews on a daily basis, but Israelis are evil war criminals for setting up checkpoints and very very tight security to protect their people. They bomb the people who bomb them, they just happen to be a hell of a lot better at it. Britain gave that stretch of worthless desert to the Jews (among other groups they promised it to, see; Arab-Israeli Conflict). Israel won the 6 day war. Everyone was against them and they kicked all asses involved. They have occupied Israel for almost a century. It is theirs and I say they've earned it in blood and have earned the right to defend it at all costs.

Quote :The problem is that understanding the issues is all about nuance. To understand extremists and their actions you need to know their motivations and aims. To be informed about this takes a lot of time and effort to look at historical events and other literature. The average news viewer (and, it seems, especially the average FOX 'News' viewer) won't (or can't) put in the required time, so the news producers need to try and simplify or dumb everything down so the average Joe can understand it. This often means totally missing the nuance that you need to actually understand any of it.

By the time you have taken the time effort into studying the nuances of how and why Extremist Muslims want to kill you, you're already dead. I do understand the nuances. I have done more research than you would ever give me credit for. I understand why they do what they do. I don't sympathize with them at all. I don't give two shits about their nuances. If they want to destroy western civilization because we won't accept sharia law, or for events that happened more than 30 years ago, they will be studying the nuances of being carpet bombed.

Another thing, FOX news doesn't need to be balanced. It is the right of Americans to express whatever views they want. Just like MSNBC fills their news shows with evidence about how terrible America and the Right is, FOX can show the opposite opinion. The fact that leftists hate it so much suggests to me that they want to stifle debate and control the media.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Neither can you control people's actions or emotions.

true, mass media (TV's/radio shows/newspapers) have absolutely no influence on people.

Just one example.
Quote from flymike91 :I contend that the European media outlets are RIDICULOUSLY anti-semetic.

The UK is different to the USA in that you can criticise the actions of Israel without them silencing you with a simple baseless claim that you're a jew-hater.

Quote from flymike91 :They have occupied Israel for almost a century. It is theirs and I say they've earned it in blood and have earned the right to defend it at all costs.

They're not defending it - you are. The USA pays for Israel's armed forces and has done for decades.

Quote :Since 1976, Israel had been the largest annual recipient of U.S. foreign assistance. In 2009, Israel received $2.55 billion in Foreign Military Financing (FMF) grants from the Department of Defense.

So yeah, well done Israel for holding off the arabs with nothing but a $2.5bn annual defense budget and the stockpile of nukes that they should never have been allowed to develop in the first place but the USA turned a blind eye to it.
No blind eyes here. They are our greatest allies in the Middle East, of course we are going to help them defend whats theirs. If we didn't give them money and weapons all the Jews there would be dead by now. As for nuclear weapons, when you join the USA buddy club that's one of the perks. Iran, for instance, is not in the club.
Quote from flymike91 :
Quote from amp88 :Of course they did, but to people who do hold conservative views (which in this context can mean xenophobia, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, jingoism and more) FOX works to legitimise and re-enforce those views.

That is very offensive. To paint all conservatives with the most detestable words you could find is just...what a dick you are.
The proof that you've never actually watched FOX news is that you call them anti-semites. I contend that the European media outlets are RIDICULOUSLY anti-semetic. Everything that is presented to you about Israel is about the horrors of zionism, how the poor depraved Palestinians are forced to bomb the shit out of the jews on a daily basis, but Israelis are evil war criminals for setting up checkpoints and very very tight security to protect their people. They bomb the people who bomb them, they just happen to be a hell of a lot better at it. Britain gave that stretch of worthless desert to the Jews (among other groups they promised it to, see; Arab-Israeli Conflict). Israel won the 6 day war. Everyone was against them and they kicked all asses involved. They have occupied Israel for almost a century. It is theirs and I say they've earned it in blood and have earned the right to defend it at all costs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of grammar. I didn't say all viewers of FOX 'News' shared those particular attributes (because I'm not a moron), but from the reading I've done of their viewers (and from watching some of the coverage itself) it's obvious some of them do. It's an important distinction that I made (by using "can") that you seem to have missed. Missing nuances, anyone?

Also +1 for Kev above.

Given enough money and military hardware any country could go and occupy the land that Isreal currently calls its own. That doesn't make it theirs though.

Quote from flymike91 :By the time you have taken the time effort into studying the nuances of how and why Extremist Muslims want to kill you, you're already dead.

Absolute nonsense. The only point of a sentence like that is to try and create fear in the reader. The actual outcome you've generated (with me, at least) is pity. You're saying all of the scholars who have put time into researching extremist muslims are dead? This is the sort of bullshit FOX 'News' does all the time and gets away with because some of their audience are complete morons.

Quote from flymike91 :I do understand the nuances.

None of your posts show this.

Quote from flymike91 :I have done more research than you would ever give me credit for.

You haven't done anything to earn credit or respect with me.

Quote from flymike91 :I understand why they do what they do.

Again, none of your posts show this.

Quote from flymike91 :I don't sympathize with them at all. I don't give two shits about their nuances. If they want to destroy western civilization because we won't accept sharia law, or for events that happened more than 30 years ago, they will be studying the nuances of being carpet bombed.

This massively ignorant and myopic view of history is one of the reasons why a lot of the world hates the US and its inhabitants.

Quote from flymike91 :Another thing, FOX news doesn't need to be balanced.

If they want to portray themselves as balanced (hint: their slogan is "fair and balanced") they do.

Quote from flymike91 :It is the right of Americans to express whatever views they want.

Sure, I have no problem with this. Freedom of speech/expression is great and we would be worse off without it. It's just that FOX 'News' doesn't live up to this. They aren't too happy to allow people to express opinions contrary to theirs on their network and are very disrespectful to those who have contrary opinions (for one obvious example look at the FOX commentator saying Obama should be killed).

Quote from flymike91 :Just like MSNBC fills their news shows with evidence about how terrible America and the Right is, FOX can show the opposite opinion. The fact that leftists hate it so much suggests to me that they want to stifle debate and control the media.

I'm not going to speak for the 'Leftists' (despite the fact I would consider myself a liberal), but I have outlined one of the main reasons I find the actions of FOX 'News' to be reprehensible is outlined in my above post.
Quote from flymike91 :No blind eyes here. They are our greatest allies in the Middle East, of course we are going to help them defend whats theirs. If we didn't give them money and weapons all the Jews there would be dead by now. As for nuclear weapons, when you join the USA buddy club that's one of the perks. Iran, for instance, is not in the club.

So your position is that it's OK to behave however you like towards your neighbours so long as you're friendly with the USA.

So if North Korea was an ally of the USA, whatever atrocities they decided to rain down on their neighbours would be justified in your head.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression you're 16 or 17 years old, still a student but not studying anything relevant to the discussion like politics or sociology, but developing an interest in current affairs and the only news outlets you find palatable are the ones with simple language and sensationalist viewpoints because they are most similar to the Hollywood TV and movies you're used to consuming.

It's good that you're taking an interest, in a way, but these are bigger issues that require more thought. This is not a sensible position from which to argue about important issues that affect millions of people in life-changing ways.
Quote from thisnameistaken :...This is not a sensible position from which to argue about important issues that affect millions of people in life-ending ways.

You forgot about that point, too, Kev.
Quote from flymike91 :By the time you have taken the time effort into studying the nuances of how and why Extremist Muslims want to kill you, you're already dead. I do understand the nuances.

lets see either your advocacy of ignorance and its supposed consequences is complete rubbish or youre a liar
ultimately i must conclude the only way you have out of this without having to admit that the first sentence is nonsense and that youre not lying in the second one is to kill yourself immediatelly
Wow, pretty interesting thread. Lot's of different opinions loudly expressed. As a proud American who served in the military, I think our country has never done itself any favors when it comes to "world opinion". We've always tried to be the big brother that would help when called upon. I honestly think that we should do what most people in the rest of the world "think" they would like us to do. And that is, keep ourselves in our country, defend our borders with extreme prejudice, and not answer any requests for our "unwanted" help. Let the rest of the world take care of itself. Hell, it would be interesting to see how that would turn out. Then all the self-righteous that have complained in the past can prove a point by being the last man standing.
Quote from robubba :Wow, pretty interesting thread. Lot's of different opinions loudly expressed. As a proud American who served in the military, I think our country has never done itself any favors when it comes to "world opinion". We've always tried to be the big brother that would help when called upon. I honestly think that we should do what most people in the rest of the world "think" they would like us to do. And that is, keep ourselves in our country, defend our borders with extreme prejudice, and not answer any requests for our "unwanted" help. Let the rest of the world take care of itself. Hell, it would be interesting to see how that would turn out. Then all the self-righteous that have complained in the past can prove a point by being the last man standing.

I'm sorry you feel like that. Don't you think there could be a middle ground where powerful nations could use their power to right wrongs, rather than using it to advance their own agendas and make themselves richer?

I'm not saying the USA is the only country guilty of this, but they are the most recent country to be guilty of it and their record in the middle east is not one of fraternal peacekeeping. They use the arab states however it suits them. You can argue that this is what all powerful nations do and I won't argue with you, but is it right? This is why the USA is unpopular; it has unprecendented power and its neighbours despise the way it uses that power.

I am not about to pick faults with individual soldiers. I find the idea of voluntary enlistment impossible to reconcile with my own views, but I don't think that every soldier is a bad person. I know a lot of American soldiers are only in the forces because it's the only way they can afford a college education.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't think that every soldier is a bad person. I know a lot of American soldiers are only in the forces because it's the only way they can afford a college education.

true but then again (and im pretty much copy pasting myself from irc here) ultimately its not the hitlers bushes or bin ladens that **** the world up its the hundreds thousands and millions willing to do their bidding
what the world needs is not less bad leaders what its needs is less followers
Quote from Shotglass :true but then again (and im pretty much copy pasting myself from irc here) ultimately its not the hitlers bushes or bin ladens that **** the world up its the hundreds thousands and millions willing to do their bidding
what the world needs is not less bad leaders what its needs is less followers

Yeah that is a good point. In all honesty I am just opposed to the whole thing and the perpetuation of it. I suppose I'm like a jaded parent, I don't care whose fault it is, just pack it in.

Islamic Jihadists in Sweden
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG