The online racing simulator
Webber calls for Adrian Newey Knighthood
Mark Webber believes that Red Bull's chief technical officer Adrian Newey should be considered for a knighthood in recognition for his achievements in motorsport.
(...)
Speaking on a live phone-in with BBC Radio 5 Live, Webber said: "If anyone should be knighted, and there are plenty of special people out there, but Adrian won't be far off eventually.

"He is a genius, his ability to understand what the car needs aerodynamically is his biggest strength and that's what makes his cars go quickly. (...) "Adrian is a big, big member of our team and his genius in designing F1 cars is well known. (...) "He has got a phenomenal record and has won over 100 grands prix. He has won titles for three different teams and wherever he has gone generally it has worked out.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88696

Could you imagine that? IMO after all his achievements in motorsports I don't think he's too far off from being eventually named Knight, but at this point in time, I think a Knighthood is a mere dream but Newey at least deserves to be made an Officer of the British Empire...he's been designing for 4 teams since 1988, and 3 of them won the titles with his cars, so why not?

Discuss.
Quote from Senninha25 :Mark Webber believes that Red Bull's chief technical officer Adrian Newey should be considered for a knighthood in recognition for his achievements in motorsport.
(...)
Speaking on a live phone-in with BBC Radio 5 Live, Webber said: "If anyone should be knighted, and there are plenty of special people out there, but Adrian won't be far off eventually.

"He is a genius, his ability to understand what the car needs aerodynamically is his biggest strength and that's what makes his cars go quickly. (...) "Adrian is a big, big member of our team and his genius in designing F1 cars is well known. (...) "He has got a phenomenal record and has won over 100 grands prix. He has won titles for three different teams and wherever he has gone generally it has worked out.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88696

Could you imagine that? IMO after all his achievements in motorsports I don't think he's too far off from being eventually named Knight, but at this point in time, I think a Knighthood is a mere dream but Newey at least deserves to be made an Officer of the British Empire...he's been designing for 4 teams since 1988, and 3 of them won the titles with his cars, so why not?

Discuss.

If someone can be knighted for "services to the sport" after riding his push-bike real fast a couple of times at Olympic games, then I think Newey might deserve one.

He's not famous or in the public-eye enough to be made a Sir, though. Why is Moss a Sir and Surtees not?
Quote from sinbad :Why is Moss a Sir and Surtees not?

Good point, but maybe it's because Moss has an accent that's actually comprehendable lol
Probably because Surtees never won the championship. Not that he didn't deserve to or anything, it just never worked out unfortunately.

[EDIT] Nevermind... a Moment of Intellectual Flatulence...
Other way round - it's Moss who never won, Surtees was champion on 2 and 4 wheels if I'm not very much mistaken.
Quote from count.bazley :Other way round - it's Moss who never won, Surtees was champion on 2 and 4 wheels if I'm not very much mistaken.

Moss was paving the way for future british successes and therefore the 10 future champions along with other talented brits. This isn't completely accurate but Stirling Moss was getting a lot of exposure when he was racing, perhaps more than Brooks, Stuart Lewis-Evans, etc. At least that according to some old articles I've been reading.
Quote from count.bazley :Other way round - it's Moss who never won, Surtees was champion on 2 and 4 wheels if I'm not very much mistaken.

Whoops. I always do that.
Quote from MAGGOT :Probably because Surtees never won the championship. Not that he didn't deserve to or anything, it just never worked out unfortunately.

[EDIT] Nevermind... a Moment of Intellectual Flatulence...

Surtees was world champion in F1 and top flight motorcycles too iirc. Moss was quick, but sadly, he just wasn't quick enough, Hermann Lange, and Fangio were far superior, as were Ascari etc
I doubt Adrian Newey really gives a toss about getting a badge off the queen. It would just be a day he could be doing something else but he has to put up with London traffic to go be polite to some old bat.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I doubt Adrian Newey really gives a toss about getting a badge off the queen. It would just be a day he could be doing something else but he has to put up with London traffic to go be polite to some old bat.

If only my sig had space for this...
Quote from thisnameistaken :I doubt Adrian Newey really gives a toss about getting a badge off the queen. It would just be a day he could be doing something else but he has to put up with London traffic to go be polite to some old bat.

Well said, a knighthood doesn't really mean anything anymore, they gave one to Alan Sugar, and then made him a lord! If he is lord of anything it should be lord of being a **** on tv.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well said, a knighthood doesn't really mean anything anymore, they gave one to Alan Sugar, and then made him a lord! If he is lord of anything it should be lord of being a **** on tv.

Here here!
#15 - 5haz

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG