The online racing simulator
Selling "Cherished" Numberplates
(32 posts, started )
Wait, so custom plates in the UK don't get you the entirety of the letters on the plate? What a ripoff.

My favorite, from the California DMV:

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Wait, so custom plates in the UK don't get you the entirety of the letters on the plate? What a ripoff.

My favorite, from the California DMV:

The plates are all made systematically. A111 AAA, A111 AAB, A111 AAC and so on and so forth. People then decided that some plates spelt words and would spend extra money buying them and transferring them to their own vehicle. The DVLA got wind of this and started hanging onto special plates so the machines wouldn't issue them by default and then hold an auction for them. So you can spend a life time of savings on buying HRH 1.

And a council which had owned F1 since it was issued to them with an official car way back when sold it for millions to prop up their budget.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The plates are all made systematically. A111 AAA, A111 AAB, A111 AAC and so on and so forth. People then decided that some plates spelt words and would spend extra money buying them and transferring them to their own vehicle. The DVLA got wind of this and started hanging onto special plates so the machines wouldn't issue them by default and then hold an auction for them. So you can spend a life time of savings on buying HRH 1.

And a council which had owned F1 since it was issued to them with an official car way back when sold it for millions to prop up their budget.

Oh, I see.

That's pretty stupid.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Oh, I see.

That's pretty stupid.

I don't think that the people selling them are stupid.
On the other hand people who buy them...

So as I gather, you get one registration plate in the UK and you stick with it for the rest of your life, or if somebody buys it?

We get new plates pretty much everytime we move.
Or we rent customized plates for 230€ for 15 years. And you're not allowed to sell it to somebody else, as it is tied to your person.
To be honest, personalised plates are for tossers.

Yes, my car has a personalised plate but in my defense my name isn't Will so it doesn't apply to me, and my bike has a personalised plate (well, it's still OY60 KOW but it's just smaller with a logo) but I don't think that counts.

Who really wants to know your name is Wendy, or Joe, or infact anything!

The only way personalised plates will ever become un-knobbish is when the UK do what America do and let you have any plate you want. To be frank, the current plate deisgns are quite limited in what you can say.

Jay.
#31 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :...(well, it's still OY60 KOW but it's just smaller with a logo)...

Your bike is brand new?
Quote from ColeusRattus :
So as I gather, you get one registration plate in the UK and you stick with it for the rest of your life, or if somebody buys it?

No - in the UK the plates are per car, but can be transferred if you want.
Yup. Bought on the 28th August, registered on the 4th September, delivered on the 7th.

Selling "Cherished" Numberplates
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG