The online racing simulator
Better names for Microsoft's new Vista OS!!!
(49 posts, started )
Better names for Microsoft's new Vista OS!!!
With a few people already experiencing issues trying to run LFS under Vista, and given the plethora of issues pertaining to previous MS operating systems, let's hear all of your creative names for Vista!

Here is mine:

MSOS "might sometimes operate sufficiently"
#2 - joen
Hardly a discussion about LFS. You do know Vista is a beta OS right? Bit of pointless to have a thread to curse and blame MS for not playing nice with LFS. If you install a beta OS you're going to run into problems. If you don't want problems, don't install a beta OS. Simple as that. All imo.
if you dont like microsoft then dont use any of their products. good luck have fun.
Quote from joen :Hardly a discussion about LFS. You do know Vista is a beta OS right? Bit of pointless to have a thread to curse and blame MS for not playing nice with LFS. If you install a beta OS you're going to run into problems. If you don't want problems, don't install a beta OS. Simple as that. All imo.

It's just intended as some silly humor. Thank you Captain Serious
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Come come, it's Windows Vista Millennium Edition.

Vista Me.
Quote from sil3ntwar :if you dont like microsoft then dont use any of their products. good luck have fun.

If more games and apps ran under Linux, I would dump MS in a heartbeat. Believe me, I've checked. However, I am sure Vista will turn out to be a vast improvement over XP. I was simply trying to elicit some humor over the rather uninspiring name "Vista".
Why do people feel the need to join the MS hating bandwagon. 90% of people who don't like Microsoft do so because it's cool not to like them. They get a lot of bad press because they have such a large market share everyone likes to break it, it gets a lots of crap made for it because it'll have more impact making a virus for Windows then for Mac OSX.

Point being if you don't like Windows, don't use it. If you burnt your face shaving with an iron you'd stop, so if you don't like using Windows so much stop using it.

It's funny, I never thought I'd start defending Microsoft, but people who go on about how crap Windows is, but still use it. Makes me want to knife them with a fork.

Quote from rabidmaddog :If more games and apps ran under Linux, I would dump MS in a heartbeat. Believe me, I've checked. However, I am sure Vista will turn out to be a vast improvement over XP. I was simply trying to elicit some humor over the rather uninspiring name "Vista".

Errmm... there is nothing wrong with XP if you're not a tool and know how to use an OS. Vista however, has been a let down and turned into nothing more then bloatware. Unless MS cut back some of the fat, the upgrade to Vista would be a waste.
I really don't see the point in yet another OS upgrade in which I'll just end up turning off the majority of the features.

The single most annoying thing about windows has to be the sticky keys and the short cut to them, whenever I use someone else's computer who hasn't disabled them I nearly always get that pop up :doh:

@P5YcHoM4N - I don't use windows where I have to hence why I'm writting this on my Mac
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Why do people feel the need to join the MS hating bandwagon. 90% of people who don't like Microsoft do so because it's cool not to like them. They get a lot of bad press because they have such a large market share everyone likes to break it, it gets a lots of crap made for it because it'll have more impact making a virus for Windows then for Mac OSX.

Point being if you don't like Windows, don't use it. If you burnt your face shaving with an iron you'd stop, so if you don't like using Windows so much stop using it.

It's funny, I never thought I'd start defending Microsoft, but people who go on about how crap Windows is, but still use it. Makes me want to knife them with a fork.

Errmm... there is nothing wrong with XP if you're not a tool and know how to use an OS. Vista however, has been a let down and turned into nothing more then bloatware. Unless MS cut back some of the fat, the upgrade to Vista would be a waste.

Ok, so you bash all of the Microsoft Bashing, but then turn around and bash Vista? Huh? At least I am optimistic about Vista. I also don't dislike Microsoft. I just think the name "Vista" is silly and I think the hundreds of Windows security patches for XP has been rather comical. Hence, I was simply trying for some HUMOR.
-
#12 - wabz
Not sure why it needs another joke name, I think Windows Fista is quite suitable.

Windows is a terrible OS and desktop environment (the desktop environment argument is much stronger than the OS part imho), but it does have gaming over linux (until devs realise native linux executables are a must...)
enough with the MS haters, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish

imo i grew up with the apple macintosh for about 4 years and i cant say i figured that was absolute crap until i got windows on my next computer (keep in mind fools.. this was early 90s, i believe my first computer the mac. was somewhere around '92 .. yes, before i could read but that makes no difference)

now, from what i have seen, vista just looks like MS is trying to grab onto apple with the whole large icon thing.. whatever it is; but i havent seen much from vista, rarely hear about it and all i can tell is that it looks like japanese to me like everything else except windows

windows is best imo for "beginner" users for most businesses, while mac is best for graphical design and design.. stuff as it always has been, but hasn't been user friendly persay until lately

but this is all personal opinion; quite honestly ive grown up with windows virtually my whole life and dont plan on leaving it... ever; keep in mind though, i run my computer clean of anything. there are only bare minimum things running on my computer to keep it running smooth; meaning i dont have any service packs, no auto downloads, none of that junk, because as far as i am aware, i've only heard bad things about any of that "crap"

but.. this is a useless argument, it depends on who you are and what your trying to do
"Windows Hasta La Vista, Baby"
Hasta la Vista

Edit: rabidmaddog was faster
Quote from BBO@BSR :Hasta la Vista

Edit: rabidmaddog was faster

Sorry, just came to me
Quote from wabz :Not sure why it needs another joke name, I think Windows Fista is quite suitable.

Windows is a terrible OS and desktop environment (the desktop environment argument is much stronger than the OS part imho), but it does have gaming over linux (until devs realise native linux executables are a must...)

Windows Fista? LOL. Perfect.
-
Regardless of weather or not you like/use MS software, the important thing is to have a new, derogatory name ready for the release. It's a geek tradition that has existed long before the idea of an OS was even concieved.

I'm not gonna start bashing Vista straight away, i'm gonna wait until they release Vista SE SP2 PLUS.

at least with LFS it's got Alpha written all over it

Quote from thisnameistaken :
I've always assumed, in my ignorance, that it's because it's a shit operating system, but I'm guessing one of you guys can tell me it's something else?

I've never experienced a slowdown of my system, but then again i've never missed a tuesday format

Puppy Linux forever! www.puppylinux.org
Quote from thisnameistaken :Can any of the Windows-lovers here tell me why - with every version of Windows I've ever run - the computer's performance gradually degrades over time and nothing short of an OS reinstallation will get that lost performance back?

I've always assumed, in my ignorance, that it's because it's a shit operating system, but I'm guessing one of you guys can tell me it's something else?

One reason is that the registry becomes filled with a bunch of entries over time. Another can be residual driver files which don't get fully uninstalled. Also, if the partition on which the OS is installed is not defragmented periodically, access times for OS files are increased. Those are just a few causes off the top of my head. There are a number of utilities for these issues, although establishing a "ground zero" restore point after a fresh installation for use down the road, or a fresh installation itself is the ultimate cure.

I actually keep a cloned hard drive of my OS in a desk drawer. If a drive or OS catastrophe ensues, I can just plug it in and I'm back up and running on a clean OS.
Quote from Theafro :Regardless of weather or not you like/use MS software, the important thing is to have a new, derogatory name ready for the release. It's a geek tradition that has existed long before the idea of an OS was even concieved.

I'm not gonna start bashing Vista straight away, i'm gonna wait until they release Vista SE SP2 PLUS.

at least with LFS it's got Alpha written all over it

LOL. See, I knew there are some people out there with a sense of humor
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Quote from thisnameistaken :Problem being: Most games won't run under anything else. I'd much rather work on a Mac, and did when I had the choice, but now I work for myself I can't really justify the expense.

Well as all I use Windows for is games, and general lazyness (too lazy to restart into *nix for example), that's not an issue. But I use an OS best suited to the task. I use XP for games, CentOS for my webserver/media centre, and my Mac... well, it makes a nice paper weight. I should make better use of it. Currently it's a waste of money and space.

Quote from thisnameistaken :It's quite stable thanks to its NT heritage, and becoming more secure, but it's just irritating to work with. It caters so much to the average end-user that it's power-user unfriendly. That's why I would much rather use a Mac day-to-day - it would cut out so much repetition of silly little tasks.

Fresh from box, XP is rather crappy, but after about 30 minutes of toying around, it's fine for what I need it for. Though XP is very newbie friendly, much like Vista is, that's because MS are trying to make Windows more like OSX and very "woo, look at me, shiney clickyness", which is why I can't stand OSX. OS9.x however I do like, nice and clean.
Unfortunately, having a sense of humor is the only way to deal with microsoft's goods.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well as all I use Windows for is games, and general lazyness (too lazy to restart into *nix for example), that's not an issue. But I use an OS best suited to the task. I use XP for games, CentOS for my webserver/media centre, and my Mac... well, it makes a nice paper weight. I should make better use of it. Currently it's a waste of money and space.

Fresh from box, XP is rather crappy, but after about 30 minutes of toying around, it's fine for what I need it for. Though XP is very newbie friendly, much like Vista is, that's because MS are trying to make Windows more like OSX and very "woo, look at me, shiney clickyness", which is why I can't stand OSX. OS9.x however I do like, nice and clean.

I always thought the default XP GUI looked like it was designed by a preschool toy manufacturer. The first thing I do is change everything to "Windows Classic".
#24 - joen
Quote from thisnameistaken :Can any of the Windows-lovers here tell me why - with every version of Windows I've ever run - the computer's performance gradually degrades over time and nothing short of an OS reinstallation will get that lost performance back?

Not being a Windows-hater does not automatically make you a Windows-lover. A lot of times when someone doesn't agree with arguments against MS/Windows they are called a Windows lover or MS fanboy. Not everything is black or white you know. God knows how many times I have gotten frustrated with Windows in the 95/98/ME era. Since Windows 2000 all that has changed a lot.

Looking into my systeminfo it says my current installation of Windows was done on 05-09-2004. And if I remember correctly I got a new HD around that time, so it wasn't because of problems. Haven't had a single crash or BSOD, and the performance is perfectly fine the way it was when it was installed. And I wouldn't call the use of my PC average in terms of frequency and activities. I've configged my installation to run only the stuff I need (which takes me maybe 20 minutes), I defrag my HD just every once in a while, I run a good and lightweight virusscanner and firewall and I don't use Internet Explorer. That's it.
So, to me XP has been a solid OS. I can't imagine I've just been lucky.
For a considerable period of time I used my Linux machine for all browsing and downloading. However, since the advent of better security measures, such as anti-malware and SP2, I often use XP for those endeavors. My music studio partition is another story though. I still run that in “ultra-paranoid mode”. It is hidden from the other operating system and the network adapter is disabled. I also have it cloned on a drive removed from the system entirely.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG