The online racing simulator
Selling "Cherished" Numberplates
(32 posts, started )
Ahoy,

My Gran's just bought a new car and she has her own personalised plate that she got about 20 years ago, its a really good private plate - try and guess her name from it.

WEN 7T

Yep thats right, christina! (Not really, Wendy of course). She wants to sell it and get some money from it so we have put in a retention and are getting valuations - luckily the first few valuations all average out at a whopping £2000, a lot of these websites are trying to force a "SEND IT TO US NOW, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE" strategy, which makes me think that its worth a lot more if you know where to sell it, and that they'd make a healthy profit. Although £2k isn't something that either of us would turn our noses up at!

Does anyone know the best place to sell the plate? Things like auctions and Ebay are a bit risky for her as there's no guarentee you'd get a good price for it - compared to sending it off to one of these companies that we've never heard of that for all we know could be a scam. Hopefully someone on here has had experience with a good company and could point us in the right direction.

Thanks 'lot!

TL;DR - Best and most reliable way to sell a valuable cherished numberplate?
wenseventy?

special much?
Quote from BlakjeKaas :wenseventy?

special much?

WEN

Wendy

The pattern seems to be, the less extra letters it has along with the name - the more valuable it is. 7T has a nice ring to it as well, compared to WEN 8PZT
There are places who trade plates in mags like Top Gear and Piston Heads also link to a site that trades plates. A lot of them will charge commission/ad fees but that comes out of the sale see so you don't have to put up any money.
Quote from mcintyrej :WEN

Wendy

The pattern seems to be, the less extra letters it has along with the name - the more valuable it is. 7T has a nice ring to it as well, compared to WEN 8PZT

So even though there are like 250.000 combinations with WEN in it, it is considered special?
And even then, there would be like 1400 different plates with WEN and 2 characters in it.
I'm not really into it, but then again, we haven't got personalized numberplates here.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :So even though there are like 250.000 combinations with WEN in it, it is considered special?
And even then, there would be like 1400 different plates with WEN and 2 characters in it.
I'm not really into it, but then again, we haven't got personalized numberplates here.

They aren't £1 to register, she got it about 20 years ago and even back then it cost my grandad £400.
Personal plates are a strange business. That said I've found a great plate. Linky or maybe this one or maybe we could get Scawen one of these for chrimbo Linky.
Quote from jonmrbean :Try these people :-
http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/

I have sold & bought a plate from them in the past without any problems.

Had already put in for a quote from these, they offered £1500 for it, if there aren't any better ones then I think we'll probably just settle for this!
Quote from mcintyrej :Had already put in for a quote from these, they offered £1500 for it, if there aren't any better ones then I think we'll probably just settle for this!

Mate, getting £1500 for something that doesn't spell anything, is an awesome deal.
Quote from hyntty :Mate, getting £1500 for something that doesn't spell anything, is an awesome deal.

But only get that if someone buys it. These places are just brokers, if no one wants WEN 7T then you won't see a penny. Just get stuck with a silly plate.
That must be worth some money, more than £2000 I'd say. I looked at plates a lot in the past and from experience, something like that will be worth more like 4 or 5 thousand.

The only problem is, if you go private, you can be waiting a looong time before someone buys it. If I was you, I would contact places like Regtransfer etc. and say you want more than £2,000 for it.

Its like we buy any car, they will offer you a load less than its worth but the sale happens quickly.
Quote from mcintyrej :...Ebay are a bit risky for her as there's no guarentee you'd get a good price for it ...

Unless you set a reserve price
You would have to be mentally retarded to pay such a large amount of money for a numberplate.
Hey, I'm quite happy with my NBR-998 plate that I pay 1000$ a year for!

EDIT: Just for context.. Our plates are registered to persons, and should be surrendered when your insurance is cancelled.
Quote from sil3ntwar :You would have to be mentally retarded to pay such a large amount of money for a numberplate.

Indeed.

Quote from The General Lee :That must be worth some money, more than £2000 I'd say.

You Englishmen are now officially declared the stupidest people on earth :|

I can understand paying for a Swedish plate

But WEN7T wtf? Unless you're a seventy year old chinese bloke that does not spell anything, ergo it's worthless.
I bought my last personal plate for £250 (was literally County-Year-My initials) and just gave it away with the car. Looking at a rather tasty one for £600 at the moment but really, is it worth it...?

Good luck selling it, I couldn't find anywhere that was a relatively easy sale, hence giving it away.
I got a personal plate with my van, no idea of the relevance to anything, just the old owner couldn't be bothered to transfer it over. And I will do the same when I sell it and/or scrap it.
Quote from hyntty :You Englishmen are now officially declared the stupidest people on earth :|

I can understand paying for a Swedish plate

But WEN7T wtf? Unless you're a seventy year old chinese bloke that does not spell anything, ergo it's worthless.

WEN = Wendy, which I dare say is much more popular in England than it is anywhere else.
You should have got W3 NDY then.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Personal plates are a strange business. That said I've found a great plate. Linky or maybe this one or maybe we could get Scawen one of these for chrimbo Linky.

You call it strange??

In Lebanon there is a black market for number plates. The number 1 is for the president, numbers from 2 to 136 are registered for the government. So when you want to show of with your 200,000$ car you need at least number plate #200. It costs... 200,000$
#24 - PoVo
Quote from AndRand :You call it strange??

In Lebanon there is a black market for number plates. The number 1 is for the president, numbers from 2 to 136 are registered for the government. So when you want to show of with your 200,000$ car you need at least number plate #200. It costs... 200,000$

Government fail.
My dad had K70 MAR on his old sierra, which was (as far as we know) the standard plate it always had, and a company called omar building contractors came knocking one day asking if we wanted to sell the reg to them for their fleet of vehicles, dad said no as he had never met the man before and didnt really want todo business with someone he didnt know.

Then about 3 years later when the engine went boom he tried to find this company but they had alledgedly gone under in the meantime, so he stuck it on the regtransfers site mentioned earlier and got about 2 grand for it, a man called kevin omar bought it apparently, not bad for a plate that just came with an old ford really!

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG