The online racing simulator
Weapons in the home...
(149 posts, started )
I keep a telescopic batton beside my bed, i've fortunately never had to use it, but i'm glad it's there.
And there's absolutely NO FRIKKIN WAY i'd leave my front or back door unlocked, that shit's retarded...
Quote from SidiousX :In most states, we have a "Castle Law", or "stand your ground" law. Which means, our home is our "castle" and we have a right to defend it(lethally even). It basically states that if your home is intruded, you aren't legally required to retreat, like in other places. You are allowed to stand your ground and fight to protect your home. Some states, this law only applies in your property, in others, it's in effect in public as well.

Unfortunately here in NY I don't think that's how it works, they have to actually try to attack you before you're allowed to defending anything. So someone could break into your home and steal your stuff then sue you if you try to stop them as long as they didn't threaten you.

I still have two shotguns right next to my desk though. Mostly for target shooting, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them to defend myself.
Quote from The General Lee :Not really.

Given the kind of shit I've been through (Which isn't much compared to say, soldiers or something) but maybe you would be too.

Different situations lead to different actions.

Me too mate, could probably tell a few tales from my 36 years on the planet that would curl your toes Smile

Quote from GFresh :I keep a telescopic batton beside my bed, i've fortunately never had to use it, but i'm glad it's there.
And there's absolutely NO FRIKKIN WAY i'd leave my front or back door unlocked, that shit's retarded...

Bottomline is, if someone wants to get in, they will, regardless of a locked door.

I think too many people have been reading the daily mail..........
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :Actually I'm glad to live in a civilised world where someone's life is still alot more valuable than the PS3 he's trying steal.

I would like to live in a civilized world where people don't break into my house and steal stuff.
Quote from TiJay :It's probably contentious to say so, but we need this in the UK. As it stands, if someone breaks in and you kick their arse, odds are it's you going down not them if someone can argue your response wasn't "proportional". Shrug

If I caught a guy lugging my TV out of my house and proceeded to beat him to death, would you think that was OK?
no i dont have any weapons around the house because im not a paranoid lunatic (apart from kitchen knives which are of course all stored in the kitchen where they belong)
i guess you could consider the socket wrench i keep in my room a weapon but for one thing its in the toolbox it belongs to and for another the only reason i keep it here is becasue if i were to put it in the basement youd bet your ass within 2 months all the bits and pieces in the toolbox would be scattered around the house
Quote from danowat :Bottomline is, if someone wants to get in, they will, regardless of a locked door.

Thats the stupidest thing i've read in this thread.

I might aswell just leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition too, after all, if they want the car they're going to steal it anyway.
Quote from speedway :Actually I'm glad to live in a civilised world where someone's life is still alot more valuable than the PS3 he's trying steal.

I don't know about you, but stealing someones stuff is a pretty big insult. Why is it that i, and other CIVILISED people work hard to get where we are, and other ****s can just walk around and do whatever they please and TAKE our hard earned stuff.

Imo a life thats made up of stealing isn't a life worth living. I'd be doing him a favour.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If I caught a guy lugging my TV out of my house and proceeded to beat him to death, would you think that was OK?

Yes.
#58 - Vain

Very well said. Thumbs up

Vain
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
Quote from thisnameistaken :If I caught a guy lugging my TV out of my house and proceeded to beat him to death, would you think that was OK?

Quote from Klutch :Yes.

I see all the enlightenment you gained from taking LSD and E has failed completely to change you into a better human being
Quote from Klutch :Thats the stupidest thing i've read in this thread.

I might aswell just leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition too, after all, if they want the car they're going to steal it anyway.

I don't know about you, but stealing someones stuff is a pretty big insult. Why is it that i, and other CIVILISED people work hard to get where we are, and other ****s can just walk around and do whatever they please and TAKE our hard earned stuff.

Imo a life thats made up of stealing isn't a life worth living. I'd be doing him a favour.

Yes.

I will correct you now.

Your post is the stupidest thing in this entire thread. Nobody deserves their life to be ended by someone else. No matter the reason. Detained for their crimes I'll agree with. But killing someone for a ****ing 300$ TV.. Life is more valuable than that. If you're dumb enough to think that ending their life is justified for something so frivolous... I'm very thankful that there's the majority of the width and height of the Pacific between us, because your ability to reason rationally is nonexistent.

Smile
Quote from Vain :I can't see how pointing a gun at a possibly armed guy's face makes you any safer. The only possible result I can see is that your chances of death rise from about 0-0.5% in a normal robbery to 50% in a straight stand-off between two scared guys who both fear for their lives.

Also consider the chance of yourself killing a 16 year old teenager who thought your place was vacated and the possibility of mis-use of the gun by someone else or yourself under emotional stress.

The only thing a gun can do is kill. If that's what you want, keep it. If you want to avoid killing or getting killed, don't keep it.

Vain

This is so true. People that claims gun will save them are stupid in my opinion, because:

Hooookay! You have weapons that are meant to kill, I see no good coming out from trying to take a other human's life / risking to do because you simply want to be a the hero that saves the family, **** the wife and the dog, and then take a good smoke after giving the burglar the beating of his lifetime.

Let's say it this way:
A less fortuned man seeking for money in a other man's house. He has no desire to hurt or cause problems to other people, he simply just wants some money. Now taking money from others sure is wrong, but -
This man comes to a house, breaks in and find his object. As he is to leave the place without causing no harm, the "hero" of a father points the gun at the theif and shot him in the leg. The theif get's scared and pulls in the chaos up a gun he did not plan to use. He aims for the "hero", but misses.. the shot hits the "hero's" daughter in the head and she dies.

Now we can start argue, who's faul was that? Sure, not breakin in would be a start, but when that situation allready has occured, what the **** were the idiot with the gun thinking? Why not protect the family by ignoring this, call the cops or anything else less stupid than stirring up the situation and stressing the theif.

I'd say, that the theif and "hero" father are equally in this situation. The theif did a crime trying to steal something, the father did the worst crime - trying to take someone's life and actually managing it aswell.

Stupid pride / justice and all that crap, if you really care for your family you want to protect them, not put them in danger you idiot.

Sorry for beeing harsh, but conversasions like this really angers me.
But what if I were that father, and wanted to get this criminal out of my house? Saying: "GET OUT" won't make him leave.

If that bum would come into my house to steal, he'll have to face the consequences. Killing him would be too harsh, but I'd surely beat him up.
I think the best you can do is to make sure your family is save, and by that I mean locked up and secure on their rooms - no harm can get to them there, the theif will not be interested.

It would be better calling the cops, or - scream high and loud. There has been some research that have concluded that high sounds scared the theif away. I don't have any scources to claim this is true, but I can swear that I have readen som studies about this in the newspapers. It goes along people who tries to rape someone, people reacts and get instinctive scared of high sounds.

Sure, you will lose a few things by not interfering with the theif, but if that means you and your family is safe - then I don't see any reasons for interfering with the theif and causing and situation.
Quote from hrtburnout :But what if I were that father, and wanted to get this criminal out of my house? Saying: "GET OUT" won't make him leave.

If you'd actually read this thread you'd know that that shouting "get out" has made burglars leave my house...not once but twice!

Typically, once a criminal has been discovered in your house the last thing they want to do is hang about.
What would happen if a thief broke into my house

Thief breaks into house

I get nasty with cricket bat

Thief runs away from house as fast as he can but not before emptying his wallet Razz

I would rob the robber who tried to rob me.
#66 - STF
Don`t worry, he knows where to find you..
Quote from STF :Don`t worry, he knows where to find you..

But would he come back? Considering his robbery attempt back fired. And he knows I can defend my home.
I've been burgled, well I say "I". This was back when I lived with my folks and we were actually by the same guy 4 times according to his plea after he was eventually cought (I say cought, he handed himself in and confessed to a crime sprea covering 2 decades).

On one ocassion I did "disturb" the burglar, I heard a noise and went to investigate.

See there is a stark difference between what you'd like to think you will do when a situation arises, and what you actually do.

What i'd like to think would happen is that I overpower the burglar and restrain him and be the much loved hero bringing an evil man to justice.

What actually happened is I got halfway down the stairs, saw him, rubbed my eyes and did a double take to check I wasnt imagining it, and then realised that my dressing gown was not in any way an offensive weapon...

...See what actually happened, when it was real and the chips were really down, is that we were burgled when I was asleep. Therefor no amount of rational thought went into my preperation for investigating the noise I had heard.

"Why are you wearing a dress?" he asked. In credit to him this is brilliant because his 'why' question left me dumb-founded, and I stopped to think about it to give an answer, and in my half dazed state this wasnt easy. Firstly I wasnt wearing a dress, and secondly why not? It made no sense.

But that wasnt the point, he only needed a few seconds to get out.

So when you've finished being macho pondering what you'll do when a burglar visits you, maybe you ought to consider at what time of day/night a burglar might do it.

They'll either visit during the day whilst you are out, or they'll visit in the night whilst you are sleeping.

And if it takes you as many coffee's as it does me to get going in the morning then you can bet your last valued possession (what the hell, it's getting stolen anyway) that what's really going to happen is you will be at best half-asleep and totally unprepared - no matter how prepared you are.

I do have weapons, some blunted swords I keep for ornamental purposes and an autolocking telescopic baton I won in a street fight. I dont plan to ever use them, they're a curiosity and nothing more. If I take you on it'll be with a mobile phone.
#69 - STF
Quote from Luke.S :But would he come back? Considering his robbery attempt back fired. And he knows I can defend my home.

Well I don`t know, he might be a psychopath and return with guns blazing.

Are you willing to risk it?
Quote from Klutch :Yes.

So the peace n' love raver wants to see burglars beaten to death.

But why am I surprised, everybody already knew you were full of shit.
Quote from Becky Rose :you can bet your last valued possession (what the hell, it's getting stolen anyway)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is insurance (oh no, there was a mention of the validity of Tristan's policy!). Insurance exists so you can let people steal all your shit and get it back again, for a low monthly fee. Without having to confront any violent psychopaths with nothing but a ****ing tyre iron.

The free market solved this problem ages ago. Only ****heads still have iron bars under their beds.
Quote from The Moose :If you'd actually read this thread you'd know that that shouting "get out" has made burglars leave my house...not once but twice!

Typically, once a criminal has been discovered in your house the last thing they want to do is hang about.

I did read this thread. I always do, before I reply.

My uncle was robbed twice, and the first time he tried to shoo the burglar away. That didn't help, so the second time (months later, mind you) he fought the burglar. After a short fight the man ran off.

Perhaps he faced a special kind of burglar though.
Question

Would anyone, if it came to it and it got into a fight, be prepared to beat a burglar unconscious or worse to protect their home/family?

I'm not outing myself as a crazy psycho, but if it got that bad (i.e. guns/knives, fights etc) I'd do what I could then run
Ok as for keeping weapons in the house, sure its ok but you have to live with the consequence's if you decide to prevoke the attacker.

I've been a strong believer in karma anyway, they will break into the wrong house one day and that person won't be as forgiving as me.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Question

Would anyone, if it came to it and it got into a fight, be prepared to beat a burglar unconscious or worse to protect their home/family?

I'm not outing myself as a crazy psycho, but if it got that bad (i.e. guns/knives, fights etc) I'd do what I could then run

No I don't think I could hurt someone that badly. Not deliberately anyway.

The last "fight" I got into was nearly ten years ago, protecting a taxi driver from three teenage lads who wanted to kick the **** out of him for some reason. I basically held them off until the police turned up, and I took a few good hooks to the head doing it, but I never threw a punch. All five of us went home without needing medical attention - ideal.

Weapons in the home...
(149 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG