The online racing simulator
Quote from bunder9999 :except that not all of us have the time to devote to a league or even a team.

whom have no interest in real racing.

which run crap combos that nobody wants, or become crash fests because of poor administration.

whom can't drive 95% of the content in the game.

so how long should we wait? 2015? 2020?

Do you really think having updates will gather 24/7 online server admins, professional drivers who can drive more than 5% of the game's content, or will somehow give you a few millions dollars so you can stop working and get enough time to get yourself involved in a team/leagues? Hmm...

I don't think it's in Scavier's plans to suppress 3rd party servers to official ones or do anything I mentionned above, therefore I belive you should just leave the game and search for something else, because you'll be disappointed of the upcoming update.

Quote from Gegry1992 :http://www.youtube.com/user/lfstech

LAST LOGIN: 6 MONTS AGO

That means, basically... Nothing. AFAIK this channel was only created to post that vid showing the VWS in action, it has no more usage now.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Do you really think having updates will gather 24/7 online server admins, professional drivers who can drive more than 5% of the game's content, or will somehow give you a few millions dollars so you can stop working and get enough time to get yourself involved in a team/leagues? Hmm...

where did i say that?

Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I don't think it's in Scavier's plans to suppress 3rd party servers to official ones or do anything I mentionned above, therefore I belive you should just leave the game and search for something else, because you'll be disappointed of the upcoming update.

oh, you mean like gran turismo 5?

seriously yann, just shut the hell up.
Quote from majod :i can't even imagine what it will be like to find out one day that the patch is released...

it will be a normal day, cept you wont need to work cause robots do it all now. you wont need a car, teleporting now works on more than an atom of light and you will probably be living on mars in your body that doesn't age.

Quote from ColeusRattus :What does this situation have to do with customer service?
Scawen stated quite clearly what his goals are, what he's working on, and that he won't be posting aboput the progress until he met a milestone.

Honestly, a way better christmas present for this forum would be a (audio)guide on comprehensive reading for many people in this community.

You know though, I can see both sides of the fence here. In truth it has a lot to do with customer service, because a developer doesn't choose a playerbase, it's the other way around. You can observe the senses of entitlement in both directions here pretty easily.

If you create an audio guide on comprehensive reading, then maybe you could also create one called "Public Relations for Dummies".
Quote from ColeusRattus :What does this situation have to do with customer service?

This -> "Idiot-proof steps for improving communication with your customer"

Seriously, you can't deny that they are communicating less with us after this shit with the Scirocco happened? The little they do tell us every 6 months or so, brings nothing new that we didn't already know. More than anything, it's lead to that most of the good drivers are no longer active in LFS, but have gone to another well-known sim. Whether they will come back remains to be seen. In my opinion, any serious company should do everything to keep their customers, to prevent them from going to the competitor.

Quote :
Honestly, a way better christmas present for this forum would be a (audio)guide on comprehensive reading for many people in this community.

S3 would be a better present.
Quote from arco : More than anything, it's lead to that most of the good drivers are no longer active in LFS, but have gone to another well-known sim. Whether they will come back remains to be seen. In my opinion, any serious company should do everything to keep their customers, to prevent them from going to the competitor.

S3 would be a better present.

Well, what if the next patch sucks? Those "serious" racers will leave anyway without bying an S3, which is the only benefit Scavier will get further out of LFS. There is nothing to loose.

If it's good, people will come back and play it again!
Quote from JazzOn :There is nothing to loose.

Great, that's the sense of entitlement on the "other" end I was talking about. A statement like that is only made on the premise that something is only worth doing if you can tie concrete dollars to it. I guess this is what happens when there's no competition in your market segment. The only superior product in this case costs more in comparison, enough that I wouldn't view them as market competition for LFS.
Hold on, I'm not implying that this is the whole motive for scavier; quite the opposite (when reading Scawen's posts... who knows about Eric xD). They keep online-play running day and night and answer all e-mails, but in the end that is presumely the only or main income for them to finance their actual life, and it does make no difference if people play temporary other games.

The service is present all the time.
I'll be blunt. At no point in time did Scavier show that it cares how many people play the game. They probably care up to a certain level how many people BUY the game. However, if it had been such a big issue, S3 would have been rushed out in some kind of way to get people to buy it earlier.

Basically, Scavier doesn't care if people play the game or not, and we also know that Scavier like work well done, so they're not going to release unfinished work. It'll take the time it will take. People will leave and people will join.

edit: btw, I understand the point of this thread is to funnel every questions about this subject in here, but wouldn't it be better just to close this and post an announcement saying something like: "x work is in progress, we know it's taking time, we want it to be very good; don't expect too many information until a patch comes, kthxbai"
Quote from boosterfire :Basically, Scavier doesn't care if people play the game or not

As well as I can remember, Scawen clearly stated that he want's to make this game better, no matter if people bought it or played it. He enjoyed making the game earlier and probably still enjoys it, not in the same way though, and makes this for himself mostly, not for the community.
Quote from boosterfire :...wouldn't it be better just to close this and post an announcement saying something like: "x work is in progress, we know it's taking time, we want it to be very good; don't expect too many information until a patch comes, kthxbai"

If that was the case there would be a rise in "Where is VWS/Rockingham/Physics" threads; flame wars and arguments will ensue requiring moderator intervention. Let this thread be, when people ask make a new thread about ^above they can be directed here.
If I was Scawen, I'd keep it unreleased for even longer (whilst adding further things of course) just to annoy the stupid people that think they're owed something, rather than release it and add the further stuff with patches. Just to be annoying.

But more than likely it's just taking time. And that's a GOOD thing, isn't it? Would you rather play iRacing or <insert name of under-developed and rubbishy arcade game here>*? One that has time invested in it, or one that's rushed and inherently wrong.

*I definitely wasn't thinking of rFactor
Quote from JPeace :This paragraph - lol.

Mate, the reason the patch isn't coming out is because of faults, not because they want to destroy the game. They dont give a fudge about the people playing this sim, that dont care to a certain extent, but then again no body does. If your looking for loving from the developers I'm afraid you have come to the wrong place. There is obviously no reason to rush S3 out, the game is not in a state of emergency and decline - and I agree with their philosophy of getting something done and doing the job well rather than rushing it out and then having to withdraw the patch whilst more maintenence goes underway. I think your talking bollocks to be honest, you have no evidence to suggest that anything you are saying is true.

Go read my post again, please.

Hint: However, if it had been such a big issue, S3 would have been rushed out in some kind of way to get people to buy it earlier.

Do note the verb tense.
Quote from JPeace :Yes I know the tense of that sentence very much, now read mine, I was saying that you are suggesting that if they would have rushed it if there was the need. Now I am saying that they would not have, they fully know that the new patch will be able to compete and/or maybe even beat the other sims. When they release the Patch, the old customers will come back to play, boosting the community levels and activty within the game - this means that the game is more attractive to others playing for the first time and all that adds up to the game becoming more popular than it ever was.

Yes, and I understand that.

I said: "Basically, Scavier doesn't care if people play the game or not, and we also know that Scavier like work well done, so they're not going to release unfinished work. It'll take the time it will take. People will leave and people will join."

I'm saying the same thing as you, I just don't understand why you said: "I think your talking bollocks to be honest, you have no evidence to suggest that anything you are saying is true", as if you were suggesting I was proposing to get S3 out earlier, while I was just saying it would have been done had Scawen actually cared about such things as number of people buying and playing the game, as opposed to the quality of his work.
:munching_
Quote from JPeace : none of the people quabbling on this thread do.

Well, one thing is for sure, LFS was never started to make to big dollar, so there is a point, better said no point for anyone to moan. If it was, the logical thing would have been to release a version of the game, develope further and release a new version calling it LFS 2, LFS 10, LFS mcrae edition, ect.

Who would have thought a subscription based sim would work out xD (i have lost count of the money i already spent on iracing)

But in the end, yeah, pointless talking.. but it kills some time
Quote from tristancliffe :If I was Scawen, I'd keep it unreleased for even longeror

Yeah...why not to start whole new game then?

EDIT: No I don't mean and I do not freaking care how long it takes, but anyway are trying to mean kind of that "yea patch is now ready for 3 years work, now it can wait 4 years on my PC to get released"
Quote from JPeace :No, I said you where talking rubbish because you have no evidence to support your claims, neither do I, none of the people quabbling on this thread do, which is why this thread is pointless.

Define evidence.

Why would evidence necessarily be a post from Scawen? Can't we just look at the present situation and draw obvious conclusions from it? Yes, we can.

I said that S3 would have been released earlier had Scavier given a damn about the number of people playing the game, and proceeded to say that Scavier probably care up to a certain level how many people buy the game (as it's their source of revenue), but that had the financial situation been bad enough for them, they'd probably have released an update already (car interiors, stuff like that which doesn't require big coding) in order to calm the community.

This is speculation, but it is made from facts. We can indeed see that:

- That Scavier hasn't released an update already;
- That Scavier has never said they cared how many people played the game;
- That Scavier aren't in a bad enough financial situation to take desperate action.

This is where I draw my conclusions from. I don't just make this stuff up, I think about it first.
I hope this is the silence before the storm
Quote from JPeace :Evidence would be a reply from Scawen, Victor or anyone like that. Because then that is evidence of their activities and what they imply to do, otherwise it is just an idea within somebodies head. A theory. Of course, they could be lying, in which case there is a full case to have a go at them and 'rage quit'. But I doubt this is the case. Fair conclusion though, I agree with what your saying boosterfire.

You know what, I think our exchange here is kind of an eye-opener for someone who might read it...

It's true that we can speculate, we can guess, but at the end of the day, there's no hard evidence (let's call my stuff soft evidence, or evidence from speculation) of what's really happening in Scavier's world. That's always been a problem, and remains to this day probably a reason why at least some people left (for instance, not seeing an update in years when arriving on the main website, that kind of stuff which scares people away, thinking it's a dead game anyway).
Scawen, where are u buddy ? :drink:
You PPL are talking all the same in 3 pages back. every day new post when it will be ?????? LETS WAIT AND SEEEEEEEEE Maybe a big Present on the cristmass
Keep dreaming.
Quote from tristancliffe :If I was Scawen, I'd keep it unreleased for even longer (whilst adding further things of course) just to annoy the stupid people that think they're owed something, rather than release it and add the further stuff with patches. Just to be annoying.

But more than likely it's just taking time. And that's a GOOD thing, isn't it? Would you rather play iRacing or <insert name of under-developed and rubbishy arcade game here>*? One that has time invested in it, or one that's rushed and inherently wrong.

*I definitely wasn't thinking of rFactor

I don't make money by selling a game so i don't really think it would be a successful maneuver. Maybe if he is some sort of masochist...
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG