The online racing simulator
If anyone fancies a laugh, have a look at the spec of the machines on Page 1! (PS: Where did Roadie go?)
It's all about boasting. But in the end, who cares if you run a 5970.

Quote : I am running a MegaUltraExtremeFORCE XX9970 with one billion RAM and AA/AF 500x on 101 monitors all at 9000p on dual 64 cores @ 12.9 GHz. I get over 9000FPS in Crysis, and 10000000 pts in Vantage.

In the end, someone will just troll. And I really won't whine because I can play the games I want. If you are so insecure about your penis that you have to go online yelling that your rig is so awesome, maybe you should find something else to do.

:flamed::flamed:

My point is, don't get obsessed with what people have, and most importantly, don't get upset. Life is good.
Quote from robt :If anyone fancies a laugh, have a look at the spec of the machines on Page 1! (PS: Where did Roadie go?)

The gradual evolution of Nerd computers from 2005 to 2010.

Or 5 years of computer nerds

Tis funny though seeing P4 @ 3.0ghz

To think that then they were probably high end systems and now even most low-mid systems would put them to shame.
:d My computer

Intel Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz
Thermaltake 750w Power Supply
EVGA 780i Motherboard
EVGA GTX 260 (x2)

RAM 6GB
HDD 500GB
windows 7 64 bit
My main rig:

Intel Core i7-930 @3563MHz
Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
G.Skill 3x2GB 9-9-9-24 DDR3-1600
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
HIS Radeon HD 5870 1GB
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
2x 74GB WD Raptors
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Mushkin 650w PSU
Antec Nine-Hundred
Logitech Z5500 Sony Bookshelf front, RE Audio SR10D4 in 2ft^3 tuned to 27Hz
Logitech G9x, G15, G25 with DIY hanging pedal mount.
Toshiba Regza 37" 1080p LCD
2x Dell P2011H
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Laptop1:
2010 17" Macbook Pro
Intel Core i5 540M(2.53GHz)
2x2GB(Not sure what speed the memory runs stock actually!)
nVidia GeForce GT 330M 512MB
The best part!
1920x1200 Glossy Screen(such a sexy sight on a laptop!)

Laptop2:
2008 15" Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 Penryn(2.4GHz)
2x1GB DDR2-800
nVidia 8600M GT 256MB
This laptop was smashed on the driveway of a FORMER female friend. I had to take many screwdrivers, a couple pairs of dikes and some tin snips to the aluminum body of it to reseat components and resurrect it as a desktop computer(it's pretty much just the bottom part of a laptop and looks like crap, but it works pretty damn well.)
Acer AL1916W

Laptop 3:
Asus eeePC 701 4G
I couldn't leave out my little eeePC. It's such a little trooper.

Those are my main machines. I also have a P4 headless server running a stripped down Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon that serves as my household file server and at times my router/gateway and my parents machines(might as well be mine as I built them, maintain them and upgrade them) which are a Q6600@3.4 and a E2200. I made the mistake of buying my mom 2 very nice Samsung 22s and giving my dad my BenQ 24". I have to resist the urge when my mom leaves the house to order another Samsung 22 and steal hers to run a 3x1 Eyefinity setup!
Quote from bhs :
This laptop was smashed on the driveway of a FORMER female friend.

Hi all, i updated my ring

Intel C2Q 9550s 4.2Ghz [Waercooled]

Zotac GTX 470 [Watercooled]

G.Skill 6 GB 1066Mhz [4-4-4-12]

GA P35 - DS4 [F14]

Seasonic X-Series 750W [80+ Gold]

Corsair Obsidian [800D]

Western Digital Vélocyraptor 300 GB [Master]
Western Digital Cavia Blue 500 GB [Slave]

-
Attached images
Tisty.jpg
Very nice, but it's a rig not a ring.
Hahaha ! yes that is, i agree with you
Quote from Tisty :Hi all, i updated my ring

Intel C2Q 9550s 4.2Ghz [Waercooled]

Zotac GTX 470 [Watercooled]

G.Skill 6 GB 1066Mhz [4-4-4-12]

GA P35 - DS4 [F14]

Seasonic X-Series 750W [80+ Gold]

Corsair Obsidian [800D]

Western Digital Vélocyraptor 300 GB [Master]
Western Digital Cavia Blue 500 GB [Slave]

-

Nice OC, mate.

Can you post a picture of your rig with normal lighting?
Quote from bhs :Nice OC, mate.

Can you post a picture of your rig with normal lighting?

Like this ?
Attached images
PC.jpg
Quote from Tisty :Like this ?

i don't see the point of water cooling if you still use fans. imo, you should only really need one fan for your set up (the radiator fan). the rest (again imo) are a waste.
Quote from dadge :i don't see the point of water cooling if you still use fans. imo, you should only really need one fan for your set up (the radiator fan). the rest (again imo) are a waste.

False, you need to got an "flux cooling" for all of your composents and the watercooling get cold only the CPU and the VGA card here, not the SDRAM, HDD, MB or other.
That why i have got 3x120 (for watercooling radiator) and 3x140 (for the cooler flux)

But i got 6 fans yes, it's not a problem for me; i have got an "Zalman ZM-MFC1 PLUS" to regulate all fans, when the fans got slower speed, i can't listen the sound of the PC and the temp are slower too and if i play that sure i set to "MAXIMUM SPEED"
Quote from dadge :i don't see the point of water cooling if you still use fans. imo, you should only really need one fan for your set up (the radiator fan). the rest (again imo) are a waste.

You gotta use fans in a WC system unless you have some bigass car radiator. Also, many inside components needs the airflow, like hdds and some mainboard components. A proper watercooling system has better cooling performance than any bigass aircooling, has a much higher price tho.
Quote from RevengeR :You gotta use fans in a WC system unless you have some bigass car radiator. Also, many inside components needs the airflow, like hdds and some mainboard components. A proper watercooling system has better cooling performance than any bigass aircooling, has a much higher price tho.

1 fan attached to the radiator is more than enough. this fan is also the fan the extracts the hot air from within the system. if you needed a bigger radiator, it would have been supplied with the water cooling kit. i just don't see the point in having all those fans with a water cooling solution. i have never had an issue with hard drive temps. same as ram temps.
if airflow was such an issue, why are all the pipes and cables restricting the airflow? there's nothing in that machine that requires all those fans. it's that simple.
There are watercooling blocks for RAM and high-end motherboards as well as hard drives, but it's much cheaper and easier to just throw in some quiet fans to aircool those parts. The performance comes from the CPU and GPU so you want a higher OC on those parts, so keeping them cooler will help the most.
I'm pretty sure Dadge understands the cooling needs of various components, the point is, I would be more than a little disappointed if I went the water cooling route and still had the same number of fans as I do now, if not more.

I would be looking to remove fans for sure, less wires, less conflicting airflow, more room inside the case (would also help airflow and temps) and better power consumtion (a small point but still valid).

Just removing the large heatsink and fan from the CPU would help the cooling of the RAM for example and help airflow...

...but it's your computer so
unassisted airflow (no fans) for the ram and hdd is more than enough to keep these components within their recommended operation temperatures. most/all pc chassis have the hdd mounts at the front. the air being sucked into the chassis with other fans is enough to keep the hdd cool. same for the ram. most ram (these days) come with their own heat sync. and motherboards have the ram slots positioned in such a way that they too are close to the front of the chassis.
most chassis designs is to encourage a push/pull configuration (cold air in @ front, warm air out @ rear).
if i owned that system, i would remove all the fans and use only 2 (max) fans attached to the radiator in a push/pull config. this will actually cool the radiator much better than just one fan.
using less fans will use less power, this means less heat from the psu. better airflow also reduces ambient air temp. with your fans in their current config, there is no "real" airflow because the air is being pushed in from all directions. simply by removing that bottom fan, you're encouraging the air to run smooth from the front of the chassis to the rear. the bottom fan is acting like a wall of air.
Quote from garph :I'm pretty sure Dadge understands the cooling needs of various components, the point is, I would be more than a little disappointed if I went the water cooling route and still had the same number of fans as I do now, if not more.

I would be looking to remove fans for sure, less wires, less conflicting airflow, more room inside the case (would also help airflow and temps) and better power consumtion (a small point but still valid).

Just removing the large heatsink and fan from the CPU would help the cooling of the RAM for example and help airflow...

...but it's your computer so

I was saying more on a general base than on that guy's specific random-fan-ness. Just because someone goes water, doesn't mean he should take AWAY airflow, since you'll need it to cool the motherboard since you'll often be overvolting it to get a stable CPU overclock, but often not high enough to need a full WC block on the motherboard. (same goes for RAM).

There are people that get watercooling for a quieter PC, and those who do it to get better performance. I don't think a couple fans will make a huge difference for the latter. (I use 3 high speed Yate Loons and I just increase the volume of my music )
how does a watercooled computer work? do you just have to fill it every once in a while to cope with evaporation? fill it once, and it will turn to water again eveutually? hook it up to a sink or something?
Quote from logitekg25 :how does a watercooled computer work? do you just have to fill it every once in a while to cope with evaporation? fill it once, and it will turn to water again eveutually? hook it up to a sink or something?

There's a reservoir in the loop, which you top off every once in awhile. There's very little evaporation.
what if it leaks, and water destroys your pc, and perhaps causes a short circuit, and fire?
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ
Tisty how does your loop run, seems a bit overly complicated from the picture. Wouldn't of been easier to go res => pump => gpu => rad(s) => res ? Like this:

In terms of fans, generally speaking you need fans on the radiators used. It all depends on what you want from your pc. Passive cooling is possible for leaving PC's on overnight if downloading but as soon you start loading cpu or gpu fans have to be used, albeit low rpm, as you will never really get enough heat disapation without them.

As for just pc case fans with watercooling, usualy good to have some to get some fair flow through the case. Mine now runs 200mm fan front and side, 120mm at rear and 2 120mm on rad in top of case. I want to remove the side 200 though for a full window but at the moment 200mm fans run at 500rpm and the 120mm are running at 900rpm. While still means fans I never have to change the speed of them whether idle or gaming to suits me, unfortunately the loudest in my case now is my pump which I am trying to make quiter.

@ LogitekG25: google is your friend but yes they can leak and yes they can destroy the whole pc but that is why you pick the right blocks, tubing and fittings to reduce risk of it and also leak test at the beginning to make sure there are no leaks when it comes to power up properly.

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG