The online racing simulator
Except for GT2, any PS3 will play it. You don't need BC support to play PS1 games.
Lol @ that rell bull thingy. Looks like Batman's track day car.
Quote from JJ72 :A few years back (when montoya drives for williams and Ralf was half successful), F1 racing had an article doing exactly that, a Williams 6 wheeler ground effect formula 1 car.

Don't forget those sexy Tyrell 6-wheelers
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except for GT2, any PS3 will play it. You don't need BC support to play PS1 games.

Or even a PSP... I have GT2 & GT PSP on mine for long trips... Along with every NES game ever released in a 130MB folder lol...
I only have GTPSP. It's such a shallow game in the grand scheme of things, but it's actually a tonne of fun
Quote from Dajmin :I must prefer racing the slower cars anyway.

Absolutely. I loved racing the XRG/XFG on the CTRA servers, and the Solstice in iRacing today. It's fun being able to ride the bumper of your competitors 5 laps in a row, door to door racing is way funner than lap time competition. And even if I have an off, my race isn't over because it's still fun and you're still competitive usually.
Quote from danowat :Potential frame rate issues?

Everything that has happened with GT5 so far, points to the fact that the game that the dev team WANT to make is not only EXTREMELY time consuming, but also, technologically to advanced for current hardware.

I am all for pushing the envelope, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Its clear that when GT5 is released, it will be a pared down version of the dev teams original vision.

That's bloody old, like a month back from a breakout session at the TGS if I recall, all he said was 60fps was the goal, but in the worst case scenario with a full grid in front of you, standing start in the rain with spray kicked up it might drop below 60fps - which is to be expected, but that is hardly a common occurance in the game is it?

Anyway there have been "fantasy" cars in every GT game so far... what's the big deal?
Do you think the FTO LM was a real car? That was an FTO with 4WD and ton more power than the real car. What about all the various LM, tuned cars and concepts in all previous games? Most could not be raced in the real world, but you can in the game
And that Stupid Nike "car" thingy too, no big deal, just prefer they divert the energy into more solid things, like a few more interiors.....
Quote from dawesdust_12 :PS2 games was to cut costs (They decided to put a PS2 inside the PS3), PS1 is old enough that they do it entirely in software.

Not quite, even for consoles capable of playing PS2 games (original 60GB) they removed the ability in a firmware patch, who knows why.
Quote from JJ72 :And that Stupid Nike "car" thingy too, no big deal, just prefer they divert the energy into more solid things, like a few more interiors.....

Still smarting about the cockpits huh?
All the cars in GT5 have cockpits, the standard cars are just a bonus...
You don't have to use them.
Meh, if that thinking pleases you. It's ridiculous how protective some people can be about a multi million dollar project. Going as far as calling all cars in GT5 have cockpits as if the 700+ cars are not actually cars......well whatever suits you.
Quote from JJ72 :Meh, if that thinking pleases you. It's ridiculous how protective some people can be about a multi million dollar project. Going as far as calling all cars in GT5 have cockpits as if the 700+ cars are not actually cars......well whatever suits you.

Well in Kaz's view point GT5 comes with 200 or so cars, the standard cars were added as a bonus. They will only available from the 2nd hand shop. Use them or not. If they didn't put them in, would that change anything? It would be just like GT3 with its 150 total cars.

The standard cars thing had been planned years ago, back in the GTHD days. I shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but I guess nobody really listened or paid attention to details.

If anything you should be more concerned about track count, which IMO is far more important once a baseline threshold of car count is reached. 200 cars is plenty....
oh right then "Build a dream collection from over 1,000 of the world's most exciting cars" on the official page is false advertising?

If PD annouced that GT5 will only have 200 or so cars from the very beginning, you'd thought nobody is gonna say "that's very little for a 5 year project?", they don't have the liver to make a GT5 which has less cars than GT4 and openly admit it, and has to hide that by some ambiguous definition of cars?

Stop lying through your teeth, first hand second hand what's the difference? it has an engine, it has 4 wheels, it can be driven and raced than it is a car.
Yes for me I would consider them cars, I'm actually looking forward to me, since I never use cockpit view, but for you they're probably not considered cars without a cockpit
To be able to savour all these standard cars with the better physics and graphics.

Even in Shift, I always used the bonnet cam. The Shift devs said they were surprised how little people used the cockpit view despite how much work it took em to add in, and that game only had 60+ cars.... Nice to look, bad to drive in.
so you just totally contradicted yourself on "all cars in GT5 have cockpits".

but that's not the point, I am of course going to use the standard cars, because I like the unexpected oddball choices you can use as a race car. Just that many of those cars in terms of modelling will not be up to modern standards....well that sucks a bit. especially after I enjoyed the detailed cockpit of the premium cars, that would be hard to go back, so I take it you will use the bonnect cam for the premium car as well?

Shift is an arcade game, since when did GT lowered their standards by that much?
Quote from JJ72 :so you just totally contradicted yourself on "all cars in GT5 have cockpits".

but that's not the point, I am of course going to use the standard cars, because I like the unexpected oddball choices you can use as a race car. Just that many of those cars in terms of modelling will not be up to modern standards....well that sucks a bit. especially after I enjoyed the detailed cockpit of the premium cars, that would be hard to go back, so I take it you will use the bonnect cam for the premium car as well?

Shift is an arcade game, since when did GT lowered their standards by that much?

yeah, I use bumper cam in Prologue (there is no proper bonnet cam in Prologue) , bonnet cam in NFS Shift, GTR Evolution etc. The field of view just isn't right with monitors with cockpit cam. It's even worse when there is some tint on the virtual windscreen

A modded NFS shift isn't bad. The base of the game is still running on some modifed GTR2 engine after all

-----

Anyone fancy a go at GT5?
Quote :went to EB today to buy a ps3 controller, was talking to the guy there ( good mates, know him personally ).
he said they are scheduled to recieve some Gt5 copies on the 13th or there abouts to put on display, as EB here have 6 ps3's setup you can play

This is EB Australia, I'll find out which one exactly, but that means the full release is not long after!

edit - Dubbo, EB Australia
Guys the game is not even out yet chill both of you make yourself look like fools now.
Anyone looking at getting a PS3 just for GT5 i have seen a great deal on fleabay. A PS3 Slim with GT5 bundle for £200. It might sound a lot but the amount of Fat ps3's that are failing right now it may save you a load of hassle.

Personally i think Sony designed them to fail just like all those PS2's that mysteriously broke about the same time the slim hit the shelves.
Quote from anttt69 :Anyone looking at getting a PS3 just for GT5 i have seen a great deal on fleabay. A PS3 Slim with GT5 bundle for £200. It might sound a lot but the amount of Fat ps3's that are failing right now it may save you a load of hassle.

Personally i think Sony designed them to fail just like all those PS2's that mysteriously broke about the same time the slim hit the shelves.

i have had my ps3 fat since it come out and not one thing is wrong.
Quote from DeKo :Not quite, even for consoles capable of playing PS2 games (original 60GB) they removed the ability in a firmware patch, who knows why.

That's not true mate, what your on about
I know why, and I'll share it with you right now. Money.

If you could buy cheapo used PS2 games in your local store, they wouldn't be able to sell them to you for twice the price on PSN. Case closed, defence rests your honour.
Except they haven't sold PS2 games on PSN yet. (They've stated actually they won't.. but they also said GT5 would actually get released on Nov 2nd). They did God of War remade for PS3, but that's it so far.
So far, yes. But it was only a few months ago that they finally sorted out the PS2 software emulation (which was never officially announced). And if it wasn't about the money they'd just release that as DLC so you could then use PS2 discs.

But what they'll do instead is add the emulator as part of each downloadable game, so it won't work for anything else.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it makes sense as a business move. Why give stuff away when you can sell it? I'd do exactly the same thing. But that's how it works. In fact, aren't they just about to release Crazy Taxi on PSN? That was a PS2 game, right?
I think Crazy Taxi is one of the Dreamcast "ports" (I think they actually run in an emulator) they're bringing to PSN.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG