The online racing simulator
Quote from EeekiE :Useless talk

The game is not aimed at the hardcore sim gamers, if you don't enjoy then fine go play something else and stop the bitching because i enjoy playing it but got bored of single after the first season because the AI can't keep up with me once i went to a faster team.
Well the thing that many people here don't get is that lfs has almost remained suspended in time for around 5 years...

People have put lfs on a pedestal and feel they have to defend it for every single shortcomming and attack anybody that dares to mention things that need improving or adding.

The most common excuse is that lfs is a sim and it does not need fancy graphics or many cars or many tracks or special effects or anything for the matter....except physics...

Yet everybody forgets that the time of having to choose graphics OR physics is long gone....You can have both and there is simply no excuse of not having everything in a game to a high quality level.

And the other thing everybody forgets is that everybody keeps saying that lfs was never about graphics...

But quite the contrary in 2005 when s2 was released lfs was far ahead of its time and its competitors on many many aspects -including graphics.

I love lfs or else i would not be here and spend hours reading and writing in the forums.But this attitude that the game is perfect if you don't like it leave must stop...Instead of having people giving suggestions and asking to help the devs everybody keeps praising them and attacking anybody that talks negatively about it.

The thing is the way things go i don't know if there will be anybody actually caring about the game in 1-2 years.Lets say s3 gets released with scirroco and a few other cars and 1-2 tracks.Everybody will play the game for a month or a bit more and then everybody will forget it altogether...
The game needs a serious graphics overhaul but also a strong content addition if it is to have a future..
Quote from EeekiE :Have you played it? It's terrible!

I've played it on PC with a wheel, and it's canned slides and canned correction of oversteer. It's the worst racing game I've ever played.
I can even remember games on Sega Saturn being more of an open simulation of a real physical world (even if it didn't represent the one we live in!)

F1 2010 feels like a "Quick Time event" driven game, where you just need to make an effort to turn, or correct a slide within a certain time. Myth had more freedom...

Even with all the driver assists turned off, I got in to a rear end slide, that seemed to almost have been animated, and was facing the wrong way for a good half a second. I made a token gesture at turning in to it, and it just sort of rotated me back perfectly in line with the racing line. I get the feeling it didn't matter how much I corrected, or how quickly you reacted, as long as you just turned in to the slide, in some manner, before 500ms had expired. It feels rigged.

Point being, I'd rather have LFS without eye candy and weather and night time stuff that so many people cry for, than something that looks and sounds great, but is essentially dead behind the eyes.

hah, sorry, I once again missed the most important one. I read you was worshipping the game
Quote from EeekiE :I've played it on PC with a wheel, and it's canned slides and canned correction of oversteer. It's the worst racing game I've ever played.
I can even remember games on Sega Saturn being more of an open simulation of a real physical world (even if it didn't represent the one we live in!)

+1
Did anyone noticed how when you get a flat tire, on corners fire deforms in opposite direction? People making this game didn't have idea what physics is
Big rofl, i thought this was F1 2010 thread .
@justasimfan - trollresponse:

Quote from justasimfan :Well the thing that many people here don't get is that lfs has almost remained suspended in time for around 5 years...

How would you know? Facts?

Quote :People have put lfs on a pedestal and feel they have to defend it for every single shortcomming and attack anybody that dares to mention things that need improving or adding.

The most common excuse is that lfs is a sim and it does not need fancy graphics or many cars or many tracks or special effects or anything for the matter....except physics...

Yet everybody forgets that the time of having to choose graphics OR physics is long gone....You can have both and there is simply no excuse of not having everything in a game to a high quality level.

Barely anyone is defending or excusing, but understanding what it takes and what can go wrong along the way. Special effect simply have just a very low priority.

Quote :And the other thing everybody forgets is that everybody keeps saying that lfs was never about graphics...

Others games are and that's good and free to purchase ^^

Quote :
But quite the contrary in 2005 when s2 was released lfs was far ahead of its time and its competitors on many many aspects -including graphics.

Was it? It uses Dx7/8. Wasn't Dx9 the best to date? If so, how could LFS been ahead?

Quote :I love lfs or else i would not be here and spend hours reading and writing in the forums.But this attitude that the game is perfect if you don't like it leave must stop...Instead of having people giving suggestions and asking to help the devs everybody keeps praising them and attacking anybody that talks negatively about it.

No-one says it's perfect, and who is attacking? It's just an attempt to make you understand what's actually going on.

Quote :The thing is the way things go i don't know if there will be anybody actually caring about the game in 1-2 years.Lets say s3 gets released with scirroco and a few other cars and 1-2 tracks.Everybody will play the game for a month or a bit more and then everybody will forget it altogether...
The game needs a serious graphics overhaul but also a strong content addition if it is to have a future..

That's weird... Why would you care about the future? Did you made a huge investment in LFS for the long term?

PS: +1 to EeekiE's
Quote from IlGuercio : So your point is:"Even if Scawen releases stuff people would still moan".
Perfect, so there's no point to have updates because people would complain anyway?

Whose point was that?

Quote from IlGuercio :As for some comments: my time is valuable at least like Scawen's, i don't know what's behind this exagerated protection of him.
Some would state that he's some sort of god which can never be wrong.

You need to stop taking everything serious/literal.

And a big +1 to Eekie.
LFS s3 will come out in 2011 February
Quote from Udris1992 :LFS s3 will come out in 2011 February

Where did you get that info?
Hmmm... I don't think I've posted anything in this thread.
Quote from JazzOn :Was it? It uses Dx7/8. Wasn't Dx9 the best to date? If so, how could LFS been ahead?

Sorry, but I really freak out when people start pulling DX things out of their ****.
What does having DX9 mean? Or DX11?
Pacman that is written as 2D game in DX6 od DX11 is same. Same graphics. Same all.
DX doesn't matter much.
It matters when you add some specific eye-candies, but as was proven, DX9 is already *very* powerful. DX10/11 add some specific features, but DX9 as is can already give gorgeous looking games.
Btw, you do realize games that are still released work on WinXP? And WinXP support DX9, *not* DX10/11.

Anyway, thing is - graphics can be updated. I don't find it either as priority, as there's much more important things to do - but fact is graphics which was made 5+ years ago is simply outdated. Check games which were made 5+ years ago and now.
Check power in CPU's, and especially GPU's at that time and now.

But, as said.. at this point I'd just really want come physics update - while LFS for me is best sim, some things still just seem broken and need fix/update.
And let's not forget that new content is needed too. Time does it's toll.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :hah, sorry, I once again missed the most important one. I read you was worshipping the game

No worries matey I don't know a word of Finnish!
Quote from rc10racer :
if you don't enjoy then fine go play something else

I don't enjoy the game, and I already am playing something else.

Quote from rc10racer :
and stop the bitching

It wasn't bitching, it was relevant to my point, which is I'd sooner LFS's development path, than craving superficial things and have something fundamentally flawed. If you want F1 2010 bitching, just ask, I haven't even scratched the surface.

Quote from rc10racer :The game is not aimed at the hardcore sim gamers

I beg to differ with all the noise Codemasters were making about it pre-release with Anthony Davidson. If it had even approached the levels of something like GTR2 I'd have been happy. Not to mention making it a PC release (even though it's actually yet another lousy port that currently only runs in DX9)
Quote from Amynue :+1
Did anyone noticed how when you get a flat tire, on corners fire deforms in opposite direction? People making this game didn't have idea what physics is

It's just superficial.

There's a real beauty in LFS tyre deformation, in that you'd probably never even see it unless you changed to an undrivable camera angle and slowed down time a bit.
It's just... in ur sim quietly camlucating ur fissicks

It's not trying to be in your face in HDR with a "shaky cam" and soundtrack.
Quote from screama :Duke Nukem Forever Developers...

You know, now that Gearbox is developing it, that joke won't work anymore.
Quote from Nick7 :Snip

No problem
Sure it doesn't matter much, but in regards of simfan's "point", I was just wondering what he meant with LFS being far ahead. Maybe you can enlighten me in this regard?
Quote from Nick7 :But, as said.. at this point I'd just really want come physics update - while LFS for me is best sim, some things still just seem broken and need fix/update.
And let's not forget that new content is needed too. Time does it's toll.

+1, eyecandy is the last thing LFS needs, and every moaning about that is a waste.
Quote from justasimfan :Well the thing that many people here don't get is that lfs has almost remained suspended in time for around 5 years...

People have put lfs on a pedestal and feel they have to defend it for every single shortcomming and attack anybody that dares to mention things that need improving or adding.

And the other thing everybody forgets is that everybody keeps saying that lfs was never about graphics...

I love lfs or else i would not be here and spend hours reading and writing in the forums.But this attitude that the game is perfect if you don't like it leave must stop...Instead of having people giving suggestions and asking to help the devs everybody keeps praising them and attacking anybody that talks negatively about it.

The thing is the way things go i don't know if there will be anybody actually caring about the game in 1-2 years.Lets say s3 gets released with scirroco and a few other cars and 1-2 tracks.Everybody will play the game for a month or a bit more and then everybody will forget it altogether...

What you don't seem to understand is that LFS was developed and has been being optimized all these years, in a continuous development, in a slower or faster pace, but the product is mainly the same and you (if ever) pay for the same thing as some people payed some years ago, as for the other products are sold as new products, although they are nothing more than improvements to the base products.

You have GTR2, Race 07, Race On, GTR Evo, STCC... In this list, lets say all of them costed 40$ brand new, in a shelf... You had to spend 200$ to have all the content here, when the basis is almost the same, although the content changes a bit, the graphics are enanced, polished and upgradedas newer versions come out, and voilá, a brand new game, while LFS is still the same old piece of crap.

I believe that the way you put things is not the right way to look at this situation.
Quote from EeekiE :There's a real beauty in LFS tyre deformation, in that you'd probably never even see it unless you changed to an undrivable camera angle and slowed down time a bit.
It's just... in ur sim quietly camlucating ur fissicks

It's not trying to be in your face in HDR with a "shaky cam" and soundtrack.

IMO these two (pretty old) videos shows best what makes LFS better than other "simulators"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdldZlNDm80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQF84hyRRk

Can't wait for the new, even better physics
Armageddon outta here.
Quote from Flame CZE :Ahh, I love those two videos, it's kind of a nostalgy to me, when I watch them, maybe it's the great music that makes me feel like it. Awesome.

yup me either
Quote from Amynue :IMO these two (pretty old) videos shows best what makes LFS better than other "simulators"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdldZlNDm80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQF84hyRRk

Can't wait for the new, even better physics

I have yet to find a sim other than LFS in which I can FEEL the tyre walls deflecting like in real life. Sure, others have more content, fancier graphics, weather, career modes or more advanced physics in other areas, but the overall feeling of LFS remains, for me, closest to reality.

nKP is a little too wooden (but 2nd best in my view). rFactor and GTR are simply awful. iRacing was a distant 3rd best last time I tried it (admittedly 6 months ago now, so it might have improved)...

It's the only sim that requires the subtle nuances and corrections that real life driving demands, even in a straight line.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG