The online racing simulator
Newbie, new to manual gears...lol!
(64 posts, started )
Thanks for the info guys, i'm really wanting to brake into the corners without losing so much traction, i still need to get better at working down the gears when coming to a corner, so now i'm just going to concentrate on fine tuning the car rather than just going hell for leather.
Well worth learning how to set the cars up. A well set up car can make all the difference. It takes a lot of time though and you'll need to be determined. But once you know the effects that changes make it becomes quite easy most of the time.

When you've got the overall balance of the car right with the ARBs and Springs, small changes should have a big effect. Literally, I mean 2 clicks of front damping will make a massive difference at corner entry. If you are making big changes and not feeling any change then the overall balance is wrong.
Everyone rolls it on the apex of the BL chicane at some point Some good laptimes you got there. As for a decent wheel, Logitech Driving Force Pro. 900deg rotation, full FF, works with GT4... £65
Yeah it's a nice looking wheel not too toy'ish, looks the business to me.
Feeling alot more happy with the car now after some tweaking thanks to the info i've received here on this thread, i'm qiuet sure with more experience on track and with setting up the car i can only improve. My best time now stands at 1:36,77 all the best! 8ball
Nice! You're there now m8. You'll be able to have some good battles online with that sort of time.
looking forward too it!
Growing more confident with the car setup, there doesn't seem to be a limit on the time i'm achieving so the next lap will always be a challenge, i'm working the gears like it's nothing new, my best time now is: 1:35,90 going strong.
My best is about 1:34.6. I still can't get the setup quite right though. That time was with the back a tiny bit loose. I would rather it was tighter at the back but if I increase front rate/ARB/Damping I end up losing tenths. Need to find a way to add a bit more grip to the back without changing front settings.
Quote from Gentlefoot :My best is about 1:34.6. I still can't get the setup quite right though. That time was with the back a tiny bit loose. I would rather it was tighter at the back but if I increase front rate/ARB/Damping I end up losing tenths. Need to find a way to add a bit more grip to the back without changing front settings.

You could clone your car, and use the clone to tamper with, i just drive a few laps to see what i could improve on, but i found some of the fastet drivers setups just diden't work for me. I found that extending the 3rd gear helped me get faster times because most corners seem to use 3rd but i'm no pro just on my way..lol!, i do think every driver has there own traits but then it's the race line that we all need to master, for me it's mastering the gears to get the most out of the possible speed at the moment, i think theres more to gain. Time wach the football!
Yeah other drivers sets often don't help me either. That's why I always make my own now. Once you've made a few and been fast on race day (I used to do some league racing) then you get confidence and you don't worry about what other people are doing with their sets.

Gearing is something I haven't worried about yet but yeah I'm sure I could save 2 or 3 tenths by changing ratios. Only problem with it is it doesn't help your consistency if you are making other changes. Best to do gearing session completely separate from handling changes.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Yeah other drivers sets often don't help me either. That's why I always make my own now. Once you've made a few and been fast on race day (I used to do some league racing) then you get confidence and you don't worry about what other people are doing with their sets.

Gearing is something I haven't worried about yet but yeah I'm sure I could save 2 or 3 tenths by changing ratios. Only problem with it is it doesn't help your consistency if you are making other changes. Best to do gearing session completely separate from handling changes.

I'll be activating the game tonight and hopefully have a race with a top dog who can put me through my paces and push me to my limits if there are any limits, and then i'll be more aware of any thing that could be improved upon. If you still got the fire in you then l'm sure you will shave fractions off your best time, maybe more.
To honest mate, when your a beginner i find being consistent better than being able to do one mega fast time, if you can consistently post time with 1 second or so of each other you should be OK.

I was on last night doing a few races and i was almost always in the top 8 out of about 18 people, inclusing two 3rds, im not the fastest racer, i was a good 1 or 2 seconds off the fastest lap, but i can usually set similar times over and over again, making for a solid race. No matter where you race, as long as its not a server for pros, you will always have someone to race, you wont be the only one that is slow on track. As long as you drive safely, and obey the blue flags etc and race sensibly you should be fine. people dont kick slow drivers usually, they kick you if you drive like an idiot and wreck other peoples races.
Yeah it's a different kettle of fish when competing with others, at first i'll be tasting the water before i strap my self in tight, i'm hopeing to make friends as well as good times, the most important thing is not trying to earn respect because you got a good lap time but because you play fare on and off the track.
Quote from Stellios :To honest mate, when your a beginner i find being consistent better than being able to do one mega fast time, if you can consistently post time with 1 second or so of each other you should be OK.

I was on last night doing a few races and i was almost always in the top 8 out of about 18 people, inclusing two 3rds, im not the fastest racer, i was a good 1 or 2 seconds off the fastest lap, but i can usually set similar times over and over again, making for a solid race. No matter where you race, as long as its not a server for pros, you will always have someone to race, you wont be the only one that is slow on track. As long as you drive safely, and obey the blue flags etc and race sensibly you should be fine. people dont kick slow drivers usually, they kick you if you drive like an idiot and wreck other peoples races.

That is such good advice!
I'm goin' on now - wil look out 4 ya
Well i got may sweaty hands on a license, i really want to take a spin with someone just to taste the water nothing too serious just to get used to driving online as i have never done before.
so i need a host pasword? i'm a bit lost..
I saw you join the server I was in breifly. There was some good racing although not that many cars.
I seem to have a problem when online, the game play freezes about every 5 seconds only briefly but enough to hinder my driving.
Look in options for minimum sleep - set it to 1ms (or maybe up to 5). Also make sure system monitors and anti-virus stuff is turned off, and anything else that might hog CPU cycles every few seconds.
You got youerself a license :yipee:
I hope you get everything working
Well everything was going good until i went online the game play freezes exactly every 5-seconds, my cpu graph shows a smooth reading so i'm sure it's not the cpu stability or load, memory is 1G so it's not a memory problem, it must be a network connection problem or program conflict, my internet speed is 1MB.
Did that happen with the demo when you went online with that?

The freezing issue used to happen with me, can't remember if it was firewall or anti-virus, but was definately one of the two.
Bob i never went online in demo mode. Turned off virus and firewall to no effect what so ever. I connect my modem to my pc with usb insted of ethernet cable, i know ethernet is faster than usb it could be that thats the problem i'll update my bios because i can't get ethernet to work at the moment, it used to work on my old motherbord... how many times do you hear that one lol!, i'll fix it i always do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG