The online racing simulator
Quote from J@tko :We have to pay a TV license to have a TV, which funds the BBC.

Is that payment a lot?

In Portugal you don't pay for 4 general channels, including the state one, RTP. Although, if you want to see F1, you have to pay for a cable service (normally around 19.99€/month for installing the cable at your home) plus the signing for Sport TV channels (20€ for 3 sport channels). 40 euros minimum...
A colour TV Licence costs £145.50/. This is an interesting fact since it implies people still have black and white tv sets It could be though that in the Soviet UK the license pays you. IDK

Meanwhile in Finland 19,95 € / month or 231,05 € / year. Plus 19,95 / month for F1 obviously. Or actually it's 22 € because of the hidden costs. The upside is a tv license in Finland isn't a compulsory fee. Or better put, it is a compulsory fee but the license inspectors have no jurisdiction on anyone which creates amusing situations when/if they happen to pop by... "Hi, have you got a telly coz we have no record of you paying the fee?" "Don't have one..." "Mind if I come inside and have a look?" "I do actually, sod off!" *door slams*

My brother in law once asked the inspector for credentials. After seeing them he said thanks and slammed the door.

I read on ircquotes an story of guy not opening the door to an inspector, the inspector wrote a "I'll come by later" -message to a piece of paper and slid it through the mail slot. The guy inside wrote "I won't be home then either" on the other side and slid it back.
Hehe.

The TV license is mandatory, although people now get let off if they only use the TV for DVDs/Consoles. This gets you a fair few 'free to air' channels, even though the license fee is only really for the BBC stuff.

Then you have cable (in some areas only), or Sky (satellite). The full Sky package with all the sports and movies is about £60 per month, I have no idea about cable.
Quote from hyntty ::

Meanwhile in Finland 19,95 € / month or 231,05 € / year. Plus 19,95 / month for F1 obviously. Or actually it's 22 € because of the hidden costs. The upside is a tv license in Finland isn't a compulsory fee. Or better put, it is a compulsory fee but the license inspectors have no jurisdiction on anyone which creates amusing situations when/if they happen to pop by... "Hi, have you got a telly coz we have no record of you paying the fee?" "Don't have one..." "Mind if I come inside and have a look?" "I do actually, sod off!" *door slams*

haha Over here the BBC can take a very aggressive stance over subjects who don't pay up. Feels like your in East Germany sometimes! But it's a very slick propaganda machine so you rarely here about it. Luckily the powers at be are finally fixing up and the abolishment of the licence fee is over the horizon and we can free ourselves from the oppressive, or at the very least a proven impartial broadcaster (the director general admitted a huge left bias during the thatcher years. And a recent report shows how left it still is)

BBC rant of the month over
I'm happy to pay the license fee, it's not very much and I think the BBC makes some very good TV shows.
And Legard is alot better than Allen was even if he is unfocused. Cox might be good but I consider him more of a comic relief. I want a real F1 anorak that is not a fan of a particular driver.

The bbc show around both F1 and MotoGP is fantastic compared to the alternatives. I just get a bit annoyed with Eddie who plays "Debate" every time over argumenting his current standpoint, which may change, and then he will promote that as vigorous instead. Probably a work related illness contracted as team owner.

Toby Mody is good too, but that show is not as informative as the BBC show
Quote from heson :And Legard is alot better than Allen was even if he is unfocused. Cox might be good but I consider him more of a comic relief. I want a real F1 anorak that is not a fan of a particular driver.

The bbc show around both F1 and MotoGP is fantastic compared to the alternatives. I just get a bit annoyed with Eddie who plays "Debate" every time over argumenting his current standpoint, which may change, and then he will promote that as vigorous instead. Probably a work related illness contracted as team owner.

Toby Mody is good too, but that show is not as informative as the BBC show

Eurosport Moto GP not as informative as the BBC coverage? I strongly disagree. Moody and Ryder are far more invested in the world of motorcycle racing than Cox, and even Parrish, are imo. They discuss interesting topics and if Neil Spalding is with them there can often be some very in depth discussion of the smallest technical development or issue. It's just a bit of a shame they don't have Mamola live from the pit lane any more.
I do like Matt Roberts though, he asks some good questions and the riders seem to not mind talking with him, but Jenny Gow is a bit awkward.

I like the F1 coverage on BBC too, except for when Legard asks Brundle a stupid question, or makes a stupid statement and waits for Brundle to agree, but it doesn't happen so he keeps on talking.
"From a driver's point of view, it must get monotonous driving down these long straights [at Monza] flat out over and over again"
Brundle: "........"
"I mean from a driver's perspective, compared with other circuits, where you have corner after corner, in comparison here you have long straight sections blah blah blah ramble"
Brundle: "It doesn't get monotonous, the next corner still comes up pretty quickly......"
Quote from sinbad :Eurosport Moto GP not as informative as the BBC coverage? I strongly disagree. Moody and Ryder are far more invested in the world of motorcycle racing than Cox, and even Parrish, are imo.

Agreed as usual!

Cox and Pariish's commentating pretty much consists of a list of repetitive objectives

Cox

1. Say 'poofteenth' at least once
2. Mention driving the rentacar at least once, and maybe even say you drove it fast
3. Tease Parrish for being old
4. Talk endless nonsense

Parish

1. Mention the tyre contact patch is the size of a 'credit card'
2. mention how hard braking is on a MotoGP bike
3. Mention the incredible lean angles
Say whatever you want, you british have absolutely no clue how lucky you are with BBC.

I would be very happy to pay the license fee to get the BBC stuff.
Quote from Lible :Say whatever you want, you british have absolutely no clue how lucky you are with BBC.

The coverage is top notch... but bloody hell Legard needs a clip round the ear every time he says something stupid
Quote from Lible :Say whatever you want, you british have absolutely no clue how lucky you are with BBC.

You don't really pay for the licence. It's a compulsory and somewhat oppressive tax. It's almost a welfare for the elite in society who want to be 'culturally enriched' or have their friends get all the best broadcasting gigs and the expense of the less wealthy.

You can be threatened with a massive fine or even JAIL if you do not cough up the money! A few glossy programs and presenters won't pull the wool over those who want freedom and competition within the broadcasting community. It's an organisation hell bent on imploding anyway as Chris Moyles odd rant today on radio 1 proves.
Robert Kubica will be in Ferrari in year 2011 (unofficial news).
Quote from Zdenek CZE :Robert Kubica will be in Ferrari in year 2011 (unofficial news).

Kubica is the best driver on the grid, I doubt Alonso would want to be his team mate. Also Renault are investing more into the team, and securing good investments from Russian companies, Kubica has also said he is very happy at the team, so I think he will stay there with Petrov as his team mate for 2011. At least I hope that's the case.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Kubica is the best driver on the grid, I doubt Alonso would want to be his team mate. Also Renault are investing more into the team, and securing good investments from Russian companies, Kubica has also said he is very happy at the team, so I think he will stay there with Petrov as his team mate for 2011. At least I hope that's the case.

Kubica is good, but he is not the best driver on the grid
Quote from Intrepid :You don't really pay for the licence. It's a compulsory and somewhat oppressive tax. It's almost a welfare for the elite in society who want to be 'culturally enriched' or have their friends get all the best broadcasting gigs and the expense of the less wealthy.

You can be threatened with a massive fine or even JAIL if you do not cough up the money! A few glossy programs and presenters won't pull the wool over those who want freedom and competition within the broadcasting community. It's an organisation hell bent on imploding anyway as Chris Moyles odd rant today on radio 1 proves.

Blah blah blah blah.

If you don't like it, move somewhere else. I hear Cuba is nice this time of year, especially Guantanimo Bay.. lovely beaches they have there.

It's also not a mandatory tax if you don't own a TV. Hence it is a TV licence, just as you have a Drivers licence, a Pilots licence or a firearms licence. It gives you permission to have possession or use a certain device. If you don't have one, you don't need a licence for it. Your head is just too far up your ass, that all you smell is shit. Then you just coat that shit with "BBC" wrapped around it to give it some context. You often do the same with Karting or Michael Schumacher.
Quote from Zdenek CZE :Robert Kubica will be in Ferrari in year 2011 (unofficial news).

too late, Kubica was confirmed for 2011 ages ago.

The Portuguese AutoSport is reporting that Renault is one of the major favourites for Singapore, saying that this is the track that suits the R30 the most and is a great opportunity for the french bees to get closer to Mercedes.

Does anyone think our Autosport is right or is it just a load of bollocks for you? Because as a Renault mark/fanboy, I'm really hoping that Renault wins this one. *crosses fingers*

...Even if it's very likely that Red Bull is going to take pole, I think Kubica can make it to the front row. But I like the chances of (torrential) rain getting in the mix
Sutil of course!
Everyone in the world (mostly US and UK) should be required to watch F1 with Wilko, CSF, and myself doing comms.
Quote from dekojester :Everyone in the world (mostly US and UK) should be required to watch F1 with Wilko, CSF, and myself doing comms.

No.
Kubica just needs the car underneath him and the team behind him, then he will wipe the floor with the likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. I would sell the entire grid 10 times over to get Kubica in my team, if Renault let him go they deserve to go the same way as BMW.

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG