The online racing simulator
LFS Photomode Competition Round 71: Screenshot HDR

This weeks theme is... "Screenshot HDR"

Rules: (made by skiper, these will not be changed)

It's not allowed to use external images.

Examples:
http://wall.alphacoders.com/images/736/1024-600-73608.jpg
http://deswal.ru/wide/1280-800/00001521.jpg
http://www.1zoom.ru/big2/85/203015-Soverein.jpg

Cars: All
Tracks: All Tracks
  • When you have finished your picture and want to enter it into the competition, please write 'Final Entry' in the relevant post.
  • You must provide a preview picture (no bigger than 400 x 400 pixels) as well as the High Resolution copy.
  • The preview picture does not have to be exactly 400 x 400 pixels - it can be smaller to maintain the correct aspect ratio (for example, 400 x 300 pixels)
Any entries with preview pictures bigger than 400 x 400 px will not be accepted
  • No renders or old images to be used and NO VOB MODS
  • You may incorporate external non-LFS images into your work, but you MUST give a link to any images used.
  • You MUST NOT use any LFS screenshot material that does not belong to you.
Competition Closes FRIDAY 24th September at 21:00 GMT

BONUS *FUN* RULES:

- You must obey the rules
- No bitching/moaning/arguing
this will be a tricky one
Thats a bit too complicated for me.
What that topic exactly mean?
#4 - Raito
As i understand a years ago, HDR means that you have a few different contrast photos (focusing contrast to all ranges possibile) and then merging it together... final picture looks like "focused on everything" .... just utfw - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
Quote from FireMike15 :Thats a bit too complicated for me.
What that topic exactly mean?

Not sure what skiper exactly meant, but by looking at the examples, I'm pretty sure he wants us to make pictures with similar looking. They look a bit cartoon kind of pictures, but cool in the way. Hard to explain, but I guess that's what he meant.
Should be an interesting one, and I've actually read it at the start as opposed to the last day!

HDR is High Dynamic Range, roughly speaking; strong contrast between highlights and shadows but with a high level of detail throughout, can kinda make pics look almost too real or too vibrant.
#9 - 5tag
To put it simple, HDR is making reality look like a computer game. I don't exactly see the point in having a photomode competition about that...
#11 - 5tag
Quote from Silverracer :

As has been mentioned, HDR adjusts contrast by putting together a little series of images with different light exposures.

In LFS there is no such thing as light exposure, the contrast is always the same and is best everywhere from every angle.

I'm saying Photomode competition - as the name already tells you - aims at replicating effects that occur when taking images in reality to achieve a realistic look of an unreal picture.
HDR aims to erade such an effect resulting in a real picture even looking unrealistic sometimes. Both together are a bit contrary, don't you think?
Very tricky. I have to see the first example of one of you for this comp, I'm very excited to see some.
im gonna give it a shot but no guruntees lol
Quote from 5tag :To put it simple, HDR is making reality look like a computer game. I don't exactly see the point in having a photomode competition about that...

i can only agree. hdr is nice but its just so not real. but coz its inverse here, game might look just real
Quote from 5tag :As has been mentioned, HDR adjusts contrast by putting together a little series of images with different light exposures.

In LFS there is no such thing as light exposure, the contrast is always the same and is best everywhere from every angle.

The only way to make even a half-way convincing HDR image out of LFS would be to take a screenshot and make several versions of it, each one focusing on the darker or lighter portions of the image. Seems like a lot of work for an outcome that would probably just look odd, especially since it wouldn't be revealing any extra details anyway.
Where is Lynce? I'd like to see his work in this contest :spin:

Not final
Attached images
not_final.jpg
Quote from skiper :Where is Lynce? I'd like to see his work in this contest :spin:

Not final

I don't want to harm your work, its well done but this style hurts my eyes, I'm not sure if i will join to this one =/
Quote from Raito :I don't want to harm your work, its well done but this style hurts my eyes, I'm not sure if i will join to this one =/

Very good picture. But that's nothing for me guys. I would fail at that topic.
this is a good topic but quite hard to make good :/
done my best i realy am a beginner at this stuff so it is quite bad
final if i dont edit it
Attached images
round71 edit.jpg
round71 orig.jpg
round71 edit prev.jpg
#21 - 5tag
By the way is there a program or plugin that is able to imitate the HDR effect working with only one photograph? I'm asking because I can't be helped but think the examples skiper provided look very much fake.
yea i kinda wonder to because i dont see how that hell that is humanly possible :P
Skiper - Very nice, love it. I like these kind of things, so I'll try to make something maybe.
If you have photoshop.. take a photo, change the exposure on it 3 times or something so you have three separate pictures with say -2, 0, +2 exposure settings..

Then save them as .jpg. Then in photoshop go File>Automate>Merge to HDR (and select your three different exposure pictures)
Job done

(obviously this might not work because it is a game and not a real picture.. That's what you do irl anyway)
thanks seb i just went through it! ill have to make a new photo then

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG