The online racing simulator
3 23" Monitors with SoftTH
(11 posts, started )
Finally i think i found the good position and settings for me..and the better FOV...

i'd like to achieve some more FPS some time (but i think i reached the limit..who knows...maybe with a new version of SoftTH or trying some new settings maybe i'll make it better...)

here are some photos...
i'll try to make a video sometime
also i want to find someone here in greece with matrox triple head2go to see if i'll get better better FPS and performance...

Cockpit view...

This setting was in my opinion better if i could fix a better fov but in the end..its not so good for driving..you must have the virtual wheel in the same position with the real wheel....

outside views....

and some old photos before buying me 3rd monitor while testing/playing H.A.W.X

and with the new 3rd monitor....
"Bump"

Nice setup there bladegt

Can you tell me what fps your getting in LFS & which GPU's your running those monitor's on????
It's Just for a bit of personal research,As I would like to get two more 23" Samsung's & run a similar setup.

& yes It would be handy to know how a Matrox triple-head(newest version) would perform.....

A quick look around the hardware sub-forum's should present some result's regarding the Matrox +/-'s
I can't answer for bladegt, but I have 3 22" Acer monitors - and being a triple screen setup maybe it is something you'd be interested in hearing about.

I've never had any performance issues, but then again when I upgraded to the 3rd monitor I bought the best gpu at the time; GTX 280 which put a solid dent in the funds but was worth it. My secondary card is an 8800 GTS XXX. I can run LFS on fullest settings - not sure about the AA / AF settings as I don't pay much attention there - I may have 2x but I don't think it is very high.

In anycase; running a resolution of 5040x1050 (3x1680x1050) I get a solid ~70fps abuot 90% of the time. On the start grid it might get into the high-40s' / low-50's depending on track and number of cars - but even this is still very playable and not visually disruptive. The real killer here is the fill-rate of the huge screen buffer. And also using SoftTH which copies part of the buffer from the 280 to the 8800, but I have never had anything bad to say about it...

EDIT: I should mention that I haven't really messed with AA or other settings. And the difference in framerate from bladegt to mine is either CPU related, or possibly fill-rate related - both could be argued as LFS is a bit hefty on the CPU side.
@blacknight555
i have an Intel Quad Core running at 2.4 ghz
with asus p5k-premium
and Asus 8800 GTS 620MB (the 2nd card is nvidia 6600 GT )

Im getting about 60-70 FPS
except when i'm playing on the park with layouts i get less,about 50FPS
because of my CPU as many people told me...
my resolution is 3840 x 720

i didn't notice any difference when i changed my AA settings or the other settings ... about +- 5 fps
if using softth then try cuda or look in the softth forum for best settings.
Quote from anttt69 :if using softth then try cuda or look in the softth forum for best settings.

still.. i haven't understood what cuda does :S
Quote :NVIDIA's CUDA

First released in February 2007, NVIDIA engineered a set of tools that allowed application developers to write programs to run on NVIDIA's hardware. The set of tools included a compiler that uses a derivation of the 'C' programming language.
Using basic 'C' with some additions, developers can now code algorithms that gain practically unfettered access to the GPUs' immense memory bandwidth and computational power.
The tools are collectively referred to as CUDA (Complete Unified Device Architecture) and it has now been rolled into general graphics card drivers for a wide range of GPUs. The toolkit can be downloaded here.

more bandwidth is possible using cuda , which happens to be soft th's Achilles heel.
sotft th needs more PCI-Express bandwidth..the communication of the 2 cards is the trick... so cuda help on this too?/
Is it still playable with other cars bladegt?

I'm looking to run 3 x 27" @ 5760 x 1080 on my:

Core 2 Duo E8400
Geforce 250 GTS 512
On-Board Geforce 9300

Or is this thing going to really chug?
what do you mean by other cars? other sims? because in lfs everything is fine...i saw other sims playing right... 27 " will be good i think...
no i mean other cars on the grid, as opposed to hot lapping. Does your system run ok with a full grid of cars?

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG