The online racing simulator
OpenSource Simulator?
(10 posts, started )
OpenSource Simulator?
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing an Open Source, C++/OpenGL Racing Simulator?

Back in the days of RSC there was a project motorsport or something like that going on, although that is so far out of date. TORC is also too far out of date, and isn't the direction I was thinking.

Perhaps karting, or just a particular subset of racing. I am interested in this since I am considering to build an environment for my AI project, and since there are programmers around here, I say why not if people are interested. I have 6+ years of C++ experience; primarily with Windows development.

Any comments or concerns?
Good luck Tim, will certainly help with any beta testing
I dunno what I could do.
I have no tangible C++ skill, just enough the hack around. But the best of luck to you sir.
Maybe worth contributing to http://www.racer.nl/. I have no idea what the state of the code is, however I am led to believe that the lead is employed by an F1 team and that the core of the code is used by the same F1 team.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Maybe worth contributing to http://www.racer.nl/.

from the page:

There have been misunderstandings about the source code in the past time. This project is NOT OpenSource. The source code IS and will REMAIN for the oncoming time copyright (c) of Ruud van Gaal / Dolphinity BV. The source code is provided for general interest, and to build platform-specific versions (for Linux mainly) in case the provided binaries don't work.
All suggested changes to the source code will be reviewed by me, but before you do that, realise that the source code will remain copyrighted. Fixes are appreciated ofcourse, but I would advise against putting much into bigger things.
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :from the page:

There have been misunderstandings about the source code in the past time. This project is NOT OpenSource. The source code IS and will REMAIN for the oncoming time copyright (c) of Ruud van Gaal / Dolphinity BV. The source code is provided for general interest, and to build platform-specific versions (for Linux mainly) in case the provided binaries don't work.
All suggested changes to the source code will be reviewed by me, but before you do that, realise that the source code will remain copyrighted. Fixes are appreciated ofcourse, but I would advise against putting much into bigger things.

that's gotta be one of the lamest things i've ever heard.
Hmm, the way I'd read that it sounds like whoever wrote that doesn't appear to understand the difference between copyright and source code licensing. I do understand what was probably meant by the statement tho I apologise for suggesting something that doesn't fit the request
Quote from the_angry_angel :Hmm, the way I'd read that it sounds like whoever wrote that doesn't appear to understand the difference between copyright and source code licensing. I do understand what was probably meant by the statement tho I apologise for suggesting something that doesn't fit the request

I don't blame you mate, I had the exact same idea you did. But I read that and got discouraged.
I'm interested! I've been messing around with C++ and OpenGL for a couple years and been thinking of making some type of game. It started out as an upgrade to LYTe but I haven't made any real progress. And with the fade in community around here (I can't complain really, I'm no help), and my lack of a good racing setup, no motivation either.

The hardest thing for me would be physics but there are engines for that. Kart racing would be sweet and fun as would rally racing. Ooh, how about rally kart racing? Quad racing?

Yeah, TORCS is out of date but VDrift seems pretty nice. Haven't played either one though.. What about a realism update for Super TuxKart? :P

Oh the possibilities are endless when its DIY. Trade off is it takes forever to get there.. Hmm

OpenSource Simulator?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG