The online racing simulator
Quote from Michalxo :I agree and I am like

http://abovethelaw.com/_old/im ... ve%20the%20Law%20blog.jpg" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />

:-(
(still waiting patiently.. starting to feel like zombie now, though)

fail
-
(Somebody) DELETED by Somebody
Quote from Somebody :This thread is wonderful.... What should stupids like me, have to answer to in other case....?
The Devs will tell us when its time.
Do you really think they hurry up, because you upload some picture of your neon/nos -car?
I know im stupid, but thats because i read in this thread...
And is it anyone that read this thread, that doesn't read.... eh...
Thank god for the stupid ones... i don't feel alone...

You really thought that we didn't?
just release the clutch
Quote from justasimfan :For God's sake i don't mention all the above to bash lfs,i mentioned all that because ISI used the Strengh,Ingenuity and talent of sim gamers/users by giving them the ability to make all the above possible.
In the lfs community there are some incredibly talented people and the
proof of that is the mods found in LFSMODS.There are some amazing car models to be found there complete with some incredible interiors.There are some very talented modelers and some very talented textures in the lfs community.IF the developers could give the users more freedom and power to create end user content lfs could become the best sim of all time.As things are to add a user made car you have to overwrite the files of the original cars and also the handling characteristics are limited by the handling characteristics of the car being overwritten.IF the developers were open to the idea of adding user content that was handled intependently from the main cars and having each cars their own completely unique configuration parameters....
The same things can be said about tracks as their format is completely lock at the moment...

The reason i posted is that i feel its a pitty when so many talented people want to help make lfs an even better game than it is ,that they are not given the chance. I can only imagine if the developers opened the car/track format what could be archived from content side while they could allocate their time to improve physics,damage,sounds,weather effects and generally not have to worry about end user content...

I think the devs would actually be willing to do that if the game/sim would be complete.

As it is now, any car/track might become incompatible with any new update.

So we might see people being able to add cars/tracks but only when LFS is fully finished which most likely will still take several years.

IMO.
Hi there again ! After starting posting here i have to post another post.... Anyway your arguments about car/track incompatibility are sound as also another's poster's,JazzOn witch was very sceptical about the quality of these user created content.

Car/Track incompatibility was partly to blame for Racer's "death" for those that remember that sim (Witch by the way is still being slowly developed) BUT the most important reason was the developer/s negative stand on some very very talented users to help him with the core programming and to develop a system for importing specific car data for each car so whenever a new version gets released it would always work based on that rock solid data...With that way it would have been a matter of tweaking physics for the entire engine so each car fwd/rwd/4wd/awd gets represended realistically....
Those that remember Racer it had for a time the most amazing models of tracks and cars....Even after so many years give a try to a hillclimb track called swiss stroll and you are going to be shocked from the models quality.

Anyway all those talented people migrated to rfactor and eventually made some amazing user created content...
In the begining to be honest most user content was to put it clearly......was utter rubbish...
Yet after people got familiar with the engine they started to make some incredible content there.....At this moment Rfactor has some of the best representations of many real world tracks like Nurburing,le mans,magny course,monza,lienz,spa,isle of man,mount panorama,paris,eastern creek,oran park,pikes peak,shangai,singapure,pau,fuji,montreal,barcelona,suzuka,monako,mont venoux and the upcoming mind blowing 70 mile targa florio...
And about cars were...there is some stunning f1 mods like fsone,ctdp 2006-9,some great classic cars mods like historic gt,world touring cars,posche cup,ferrari challenge cup,gt cars,lexus,supra,supra gt,corvete,skyline,skyline gt and i could go on and on.....

The thing is lfs needs users like that and the truth be told we have a ton of users like that,just go to LFSMODS.The quality of some cars as far as modeling goes can be compared easily to commercial products and some actually surpass many simiral models in recent racing games( sim and those bling bling arcade games)

I can only imagine what can be done with tracks.We could have scratch built versions of many if not all tracks i mentioned before or at least converted versions of the originals...
I wish the devs read this and in the future( maybe after the next physics update....) decide to add user created content availability...
Or if there is still fear of incompatibility at least unlock the tracks code as i can't imagine tracks to be affected that much with physics upgrades..
Well, justasimfan. While you are right that there are a few great mods out there for rFactor, you miss a few very important points on why there isn't modding allowed for LfS at the moment:

For every halfway decent mod for rfactor, there are hundreds shitty ones. Many users, myself included, are just put down by the fact of having to search through huge databases to find a decent mod (which might still not be at the expected quality, which you don't find out until you install it)

Also it basically ruins pick-up online racing, because every server would use different mods you'd have to search for and install just to play on it. Not to mention the problem of different versions of the same mod.
Additionally you end up with tons of mods you actually don't care about just to play with your friends, which clutter up your hard drive.

And just to make things clear: I do own rFactor and enjoy some mods, but playwise if I am interested in racing, I start up LfS (allbeit not recently, due to time constraints), while rFactor is usually just on for a few minutes to toy with a new mod, never to be loaded again.
-
(Michalxo) DELETED by Michalxo : stupid post
Well you are right to a certain degree my friend...Initially things in rfactor were exactly as you discribed but eventually things really improved especially after mods of the year awards started(where the best mod makers would win many real life prizes).There is now a top tracks/cars section in the rfactorcentral homepage and browsing through there you will find many amazing tracks and cars.

And the same will happen if given a chance with lfs..
And to make my point valid just ......check LYNCE mod called THE REVOLUTION PACK....Well basically i just recently discovered it as not many people talk about it yet it is ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING !!!!!!!!!!

I could not believe my eyes when i saw for the first time the incredible reflections and lighting the cars had or the beautifull skies,horizon backgrounds,interiors and slick menus....

The devs if they check on this thread from time to time SHOULD really think about getting people like LYNCE to help them with the development of their game.And not only LYNCE is that talented -as many other talented users helped him with the packs and many talented users made previously simiral texture improvemnts(electric kar,etc...)

So i wish Devs read this...post...

PS By the way if you have not checked the REVOLUTION PACK/S CHECK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the link for the first 2 packs (7th April and 28th of August 2009 )

http://www.revolution-pack.com/index.php

Or from the forums

7th April 2009 pack
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=56099

28 August 2009 pack
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=60886

Christmas 2009 pack
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1333555

24 June 2010 pack
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=68229
Quote :typical "OMG LYNCE FOR LFS ARTIST"

it's been said before...

they won't add new developers because they don't want to, regardless of their abilities.
Quote from bunder9999 :it's been said before...

they won't add new developers because they don't want to, regardless of their abilities.

yes im aback because of the understanding people in this thread I feel its necessary to continue the convo.

This is my problem, that revolution pack is proof that we have amazing people on here that could take this game to a whole new level yet they will not even look at it. I don't know if they are afraid of loosing part of the game and have to pay rights money etc, but why not make the new guys sign a contract saying they don't own any part of the game, and all of LFS belongs to the original 3, and give the people that helped life membership and free updates for the life of LFS.

as I said I have been really patient for another year and a half, and still nothing so I have to say something, even tho I bought this game knowing it was a work in progress. I still want the game to evolve, even a little bit, now I know the sirocco is having issues. Fine then dump it, I never cared for a real car anyway in LFS the F1 car is a flop it is nowhere near R factor's BMW or GT5's Ferrari. so why bother, LFS is good for its simulation, so stay with that, I don't really care what the name of the car is providing we get all forms of cars MR FR FF 4wd 3 wheeler, reliant robin

I want LFS to just go back to its grass roots, great SIMULATION have these talented members of community do the skinning as you can see they can do so sooo well.
Get them to sign contracts that they don't own any part of it, and give them full licenses and unlimited updates in turn.

That's why I have such a big issue with the speed, it's that it can be done so much faster, yet they say F U to the fans and take their time.
every 6 months would be awesome for a mild update to the game, and every 18 months a big update.

and yes R factor has amazing Modding community because R factor realized that, and ran with it, as we all mentioned it was hopeless at first, but now OMFG some of the cars and tracks are mind blowing.
SIM RACING on you tube just reviewed a mod that has the Lexus ISF it is Forza 3 quality its amazing.
another group just did old school F1 cars again amazing 10/10, and another did old school Ford Gt500 and torana's MIND BLOWING

I'm sorry I sounded douche bag like, and a troll, but I don't come on here anymore because it is depressing to see such a great game go down the gurgler, and the devs have only to blame themselves.

PS I used to race in MNR until that got all arseholish, they started a race 4 minutes early once that decided the championship, and my other driver was setting up his wheel while starting, and they said tough luck deal with it, and the whole stewards thing is retarded, I got screwed over so many times in races, and it was all deemed a racing incident, then once in 2 races I hit a guy pretty hard, and then had problems that whole race I got a 2 race ban. it was just retarded really.

anyway

Dev's = complete idiots for stupid development of stupid VW

Devs = complete idiots for not embracing a willing and very talented community

Devs = complete idiots for not even providing a monthly diary on whats really going on

devs= complete idiots for not updating the game ever 6 months (even a few additions) and also a major update every 15 months or so.

and whoever disputes that, are not being objective enough.
for instance search for the AE86 for LFS, that is a replacement car and skin for the XRT it looks amazing and is way better then the std XRT that is proof of the talent they are denying the game

PEACE OUT AND THANKS FOR BEING MATURE ABOUT THE CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS GUYS

Best of luck LFS
I'm sorry but my irony detector just went "bang" while reading your post.
Yeah, whoever doesn't call the devs "complete idiots" is certainly not objective enough.
Quote from seinfeld :yes im aback because of the understanding people in this thread I feel its necessary to continue the convo.

This is my problem, that revolution pack is proof that we have amazing people on here that could take this game to a whole new level yet they will not even look at it. I don't know if they are afraid of loosing part of the game and have to pay rights money etc, but why not make the new guys sign a contract saying they don't own any part of the game, and all of LFS belongs to the original 3, and give the people that helped life membership and free updates for the life of LFS.

No shit Sherlock! :drink:

Ever considered the fact that the sales might be getting lower and if they'd add another person, they all will get less money out of it?
Quote from seinfeld :...but why not make the new guys sign a contract saying they don't own any part of the game, and all of LFS belongs to the original 3, and give the people that helped life membership and free updates for the life of LFS.

You mean working days, moths, years and all that for 50 bucks overall??

You really don't think, all the groundbreaking ideas you come up with, through, ideas that no-one else had before you, huh!?

BTW, simulating, better said impoving the simulation is exactly what's going on. How about reading a few posts of the devs.
Well, you've asked us to be mature, so I'll try maintain some level of maturity while commenting on your recommendations...

Quote from seinfeld :
Dev's = complete idiots for stupid development of stupid VW

What? What's so stupid about the German car? The fact that it helped the devs discover flaws in physics engine that needed addressing? It's not VWS that's having problems, it's the physics engine being thoroughly reworked. Dumping VWS would solve nothing, devs want LFS to be the best racing sim out there and you cannot achieve that without proper physics simulation. At the end of the day will VWS help LFS not only content-wise, but physics-wise as well.

Quote from seinfeld :
Devs = complete idiots for not embracing a willing and very talented community

Active participation in the development process is something waaay different than hacking a VOB mod during long rainy nights. All LFS content has to be a top-notch quality because if it's not, people complain. Judging someones ability to effectively work with a development team just by quality of some mods he made is extremely shortsighted and it would possibly lead to more problems than some extra manpower can out-weight.
As for your comparison to rF mods; yes, some of them are pretty cool, but there is a lot of them which are just utter crap. You can find skilled people everywhere, just the fact they exist doesn't make you an idiot if you don't ask for their help.
[/QUOTE]

Quote from seinfeld :
Devs = complete idiots for not even providing a monthly diary on whats really going on

Scawen has explained VERY CLEARLY why he considers such "developer's diary" pointless. If there is nothing to report, why report it then? Scawen was reporting us the progress in the past because there actually was some! He has spent over a year developing a new physics engine and I can't think of a way of providing a progress updates on this. You have to realize that the vast majority of the community won't probably understand what he'd be talking about. "Hey, I've reworked the tire stiffness tensor calculation, cool isn't it?" - Is this the progress report you'd like to see?

Quote from seinfeld :
devs= complete idiots for not updating the game ever 6 months (even a few additions) and also a major update every 15 months or so.

You can't be serious. LFS has a feature-based update schedule. Whenever devs create enough of new stuff they feel like releasing, a patch emerges. Not being tightened by some deadlines allows them to perfect everything they do and that's the reason why every patch I recall met with a great satisfaction of the community.
If the devs were forcing themselves to shit out some new track/car/textures every n-th month/week/eon, it's very likely that the quality of such updates would degrade. Take VWS, what appeared to be a small problem caused devs to rework a huge part of LFS. If the devs were to release VWS on time, all we'd get would be a dull FXO-like FWD with flawed physics.

Typical example of "every year a brand new version" game is the NFS series (and maybe the NHL, FIFA, Madden series too). EA struggles to get a new version out every year so badly that every NFS from MW to Undercover had 1) less content 2) fewer tuning options 3) stupider car handling 4) duller storyline 5) same graphics 6) increasing level if boredom

I understand why you're so dissatisfied, but please realize that the devs are working to best of their abilities to accomplish their goals. We might not understand why they're doing things the way they're doing them, but as long as they're comfortable with that, I'm willing to wait for the patch until I see "LFS S3 released" on the lfs.net...
Hi there again!! Wow this thread really has taken my attention!!!(Well maybe because the devs actually posted here...)

Well to begin fighting between ourselves or accusing the devs wont archive anything...So relax and try to hear eveybody.The last post of Scawen has given me enough assurance that the devs are still 100% commited to lfs.
I saw a few weeks ago an interview in sim racing tonight of Crammer and he was talking for 10 minutes about tire physics,how complex they can be espesially if you want flatspots and why they still have not added weather effects.From the way Scawen talked about the tire physics its clear he has given a LOT of thought on how to improve physics and he really wants to make them better.To add weather effects visually its a piece of cake but without perfecting tire physics the handling would be laughable.

Also i can understand why the devs do not wont to hire any additional programmer or artist.The recent sales of lfs have lowered as many new simmers prefer to race in i-racing or rfactor...The gtr series are the games every simmer starts nowdays and then he goes either to i-racing or rfactor..I racing has a lot of marketing especially in usa during nascar or indycar races and that has led to more than 10.000 subscribers...Given the fact you need around 300-500$ the first year of iracing not many people are willing to buy another sim.....

And about rfactor i have said it time and time again there are SOOO many astonishing tracks and cars on all aspects(With great graphics,great interiors,great handling,great sound effects,and on some tracks greatly detailed elevation changes even on flat roads to make the tracks feel like the real tracks as if they were laser scanned.....).Nowdays you ONLY HAVE
to check the top tracks and cars and among them you are going to find the best 30 tracks and 20-30 car mods.(There are litterally thousands of rfactor mods out there but the top cars and tracks just mention 100 of each and they are also seperated to the type of tracks.So you can check the best in oval witch may have just 4-5 tracks,the best in rally tracks were again there may be just 5-6 ,the best f1 tracks were again there may be 10-15.....So it is REALLY easy to find the diamonds among the rocks...

And now back to lfs...As i said so many times what saddeness me so much is that there are so many incredibly talented people here and in LFSMODS that are not given a chance to make some incredible content in lfs....
As with Rfactor most people WOULD BE more than happy to make for free a track or car mod with the only reward if the car is really good enough to be a part of the game and their name is written to the credits as special thanx to : **** .
People do this because of their love for the game and not for money....
And if anybody disagrees with that...Were just look at some of the Rfactor mods...CTDP 2009 is an F1 mod So good that it basically puts the glasses ON EVERY SINGLE F1 GAME EVER MADE....No really i am not over exaggerating....Each F1 car has some 4096 x 4096 Textures on them and some incredible polygon counts....You may play every other mod perfectly with full graphics and when you load CTDP unless you have a monster PC you are going to just see frames...(beautifull ones through! ) .The sounds were all taken by the real cars,the cars all feature Extremely detailed damage with everything flying in a crash and the physics are spot on).This mod itself could be sold easily for 50 $ and it could get 90+ review on every gaming magazine....And well actually the best tracks and cars are miles better than even what full prized games are....

And how this could be done i would give an example.We all know that lfs cars are based on real cars.For example the xf is a " punto" ,the xfo"integra with calibra tail lights",xr is "mitsubishi starion",fz250 is "911 with z4 taillights" and rb4 is " celica gt4" ......Why not making a contest where users are asked to make model replacements for these vechicles that look ultra realistic and ultra textures -minus the badges ofcourse.The contest could run for 6 months and the best model of each car could be actually featured in the game as it come with some honorable mentions in the end credits.People would absolutely spend days or even weeks for that perfect model so they can make something amazing and to be featured in the actual game.And as only the models exteriors/interiors would be changed there would be no harm done to any of the perfectly balanced physics of the game....If there is a small prize to the best model of every car than people would be all more willing to spend that extra time to make the perfect model.Lets say the 4 finalists get dfp wheel plus that their model is integraded in the game and the number 1 finalist gets his model integraded plus he gets a g25 wheel.....
The above is not a wild dream my friends....If any of the devs read this post....PLEASE Scawen,Eric...Vincent....think about it...Make a fancy mention of a contest in the main lfs page and let everything unfold on its own...In a few months there would be some spectacular car models to drool over completely compatible with the game in its current or its future form....
And the same could be done with improving the main tracks...etc...And when the games main code and physics are fully completed than full editing and making completely new cars with their own set of parameters be allowed...

So again if any of the DEVS read this please think about it...
And if anybody from the admins has some contact with the devs inform them about this.Its their decition in the end but if noone talks about it then they may assume people are not interested on doing something like this...
It's Victor, not Vincent.

As for your post: You are saying a lot of right things and I'd guess the devs have thought about this as well but as said earlier, this wouldn't make much sense before the full S3 version is released.

BTW, you should buy an S2 license with all your enthusiasm towards LFS.
This thread is my daily news, you could write book guys, seriously....

for($i=0; $i<=8765463; $i++)
{
1. Complains (based on words "VW, devs, update")
2. Few possitive posts to 1.
3. Ultra-long reply to 1. why is it that
4. Few possitive posts to 3.
5. Ultra-long reply to 3. about how is not true

}
Quote from Raito :This thread is my daily news, you could write book guys, seriously....

for($i=0; $i<=8765463; $i++)
{
1. Complains (based on words "VW, devs, update")
2. Few possitive posts to 1.
3. Ultra-long reply to 1. why is it that
4. Few possitive posts to 3.
5. Ultra-long reply to 3. about how is not true
}

Is that Java coding? I suck at this stuff, just asking.
It's actually PHP Java would look like

public static main(String args[])
{
while(true)
{
if(isRaitosCycleCompleted())
{
postSomethingUselessAndOffTopic();
}
}
return 0;
}

No offense intended
Aha, well I thought it looked like java coding because of those brackets, maybe I should learn
Well, except Pascal and BASIC all commonly used programming languages use "{ }" to divide code into scopes, even a lot of scripting languages adopted this syntax.
c

main(){
while(!isS3outyet())
postcrap();
return(0);
}

main(){ <--- oh god is that bad practice.

Also, yes guys, let's make this thread about programming languages instead
Matlab:

for i = 0 : 8765463
disp('When it is done!')
end
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG