The online racing simulator
I cant wait for the top gear test track. Power lap times
Goddamnit i need an ps3 ffffuuuuu!!!!!
Bah bloody disk drive has died in the ps3. I think laser has worn out. Time to send it for repairs.
Quote from CoolColJ :Some vid from a UK event...

Why is it that everyone moans and moans that the GT series (physics wise) isn't realistic enough, but whenever we see a video sneek peek of GT5, the car is always being driven by a complete tool?
I like realism, but then i like driving with my eyes open...
Quote from GFresh :Why is it that everyone moans and moans that the GT series (physics wise) isn't realistic enough, but whenever we see a video sneek peek of GT5, the car is always being driven by a complete tool?
I like realism, but then i like driving with my eyes open...

So are you driving in your avatar pic?
idk...i tried driving gt4 with the gamepad on ps2. i tried driving how racecar drivers drive and i couldnt keep up...i was threshold breaking, not turning all the way in every corner,following the racing line...this game is meant for nubs..
LOL GT4 is nothing like GT5...or even GT5 Prologue
Anyway it looks like there are 3 driving physics models now

begineer - like GT5 Prologue standard, tons of grip, and no oversteer in powerful cars. Kinda like GT4, but a little easier
Standard - a bit more oversteer etc, for the controller pad users
Pro - more hardcore, need a wheel

Some impressons from the UK Beta event. Probably why it's still glitchy, beta code. Seems like different code from the E3 demo.
Apparently damage was most dramatic with the Nascar cars, but less so with the street ones

Quote :I’ve just got back from the beta rooms event in Birmingham. Played gt5 in 3D. The 3D effect was very subtle on the example I saw. The physics were excellent. There was beginner, intermediate and pro. Pro seemed v similar to gt academy demo. Extremely difficult on the narrow roads of the nurburgring. Intermidate was a great compromise of difficulty and feel. Beginner was similar to prologue standard. Graphics were excellent but we already know this. Toscana was beautiful, especially to day to night transitions and the way the headlights pick up different sign posts etc. Handling was slippy as you’d expect, nothing unusual for a rally racing game. There were however variations in the road surface, going from sand up gravel to some harder stuff ( not quite Tarmac). Damage was a lot more dramatic than I’ve seen on previous videos circling the web. Saw some people mash their cars up pretty good. Polyphony can now say they have the best damage physics on a console driving sim. Didn’t notice anydamage affecting the car handling. Thing that most impressed me? Probably the feel given by the new physics. Probably the best I’ve experienced from a driving game. Pretty close to real driving, and that is a massive complement. Spoke to a Sony guy about a uk release date, he said the “20th of November or around there”. Sorry if my writing is poor, I’m typing this on my phone.

Quote :Just got back though, wow, great event, GT5 is simply superb! There can be no doubting any of it.
The rallying is very different to GT4, a lot harder, you have to really fight the car, but it doesnt really feel like its on ice. Lots of understeer from the C4 though. The madrid track is wonderful, great layout and really really fun to drive.
However, for me, the Gallardo on the Nurburgring (albeit the first 2 minutes of the ring) was the most fun, such a great car to drive and the overall improvements to the look and feel of the ring are excellent, the textures are super real!
Tried it in 3D, not sold on it, appeared to only be 30fps to the 2D's 60fps, was quite cool though.

Quote :Went to BETA event today unfortunatley camera battery died before I got to record footage of nascar. The car was awesome as it had actual deformation damage and looked miles ahead of anything we have seen of the damage for GT5 except for the trailer. The rear bumper crumpled and deformed quite a bit exactly where I hit it. The other cars had damage like all other previous demos but the nascar damage was on another level. Hopefully someone recorded some nascar footage. I will upload some footage I managed to record before battery died later on today.

Quote :Things I noticed
1) The nurb is more realistic in regards to the track feels thinner and the bumps really catch you out.
2) Rally is much more fluid and in my opinion feels more like driving a 4 wheel drive on a low friction surface
3) 3D is not ready yet. (If you tilt your head the 3D effect stops working and their were some major glitches in the graphics still)
4) When 3D has been finished I WANT IT! the depth of field in the cockpit view was awsome but the ability to judge the distance between other cars and breaking points really helps the realism.
5) That SLS on pro physics with everything off on the Nurb is a pig to drive with a pad, I need to get practising!

Quote :The demo was great, in 3D I noticed a few (I think) bits of bumper/debris flying out towards the camera. The 3D effect was very subtle but in-car was great! The 'ring was indeed very hard to drive and a lot of people were spinning. I noticed bumpers hanging off and the like. The rally stage however there were doors hanging open and the dust effects and headlight effect were simply amazing!

Couldn't hear any sounds unfortunately Very loud in there with music and most TVs were turned down.

As you could see there were 5 tracks on the demo and if I'm honest the loading times didn't feel overly long! I did however notice some trees and scenery didn't properly load and my wingmirror went through a wall on a tight corner in Rome. A few glitches/bugs here and there such as those 2 which should be ironed out before release but overall the game felt solid with the handling spot on imo! Roll on November

Oh, one other thing, the lighting/shadow effects were brilliant

EU special edition

http://blog.eu.playstation.com ... %80%93-something-special/

GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car beats the Stealth GT-R model IMO
Quote :This is in addition to five ‘ChromeLine’ Collector’s Edition cars plus six ‘Stealth’ vehicles, both featuring enhanced performance and liveries and an exclusive dynamic theme.

so 11 DLC cars altogether?
Tasty!

edit

This clarifies things - no Stealth cars for CE

http://buttonmasher.co.nz/blog ... ons-officially-announced/

Quote :News out today has confirmed the rumours that there will be three different ‘editions’ of Gran Turismo 5. Standard, Collectors and the Signature Edition. Final pricing is yet to be announced for New Zealand, we do know the the EU Signature Edition will retail for €179.99 and the lesser Collectors Edition will be €79.99.
Full details and picture past the break:

Standard Edition:

More than a thousand cars, a global community of racers, the world’s most iconic racetracks and the drive of a lifetime – that’s Gran Turismo 5.
Experience astounding realism, pulse-raising physics, high-speed thrills and a full tank of international motoring glamour as you race against friends at home or online against champions from around the world, and build yourself a stable of the finest cars ever to have graced the tarmac anywhere.
One of the world’s best-selling driving games is back, packed with new features, new rides and new experiences that’ll take your life into the fast lane like never before.

Collector’s Edition:

A highly-desirable upgrade for serious racers and motoring fans, this eye-catching edition comes with plenty of added horsepower inside its high-end collector’s box. As well as the game itself, you’ll get:
» Exclusive Special Edition inlay sleeve art
» 200+ page Apex driver’s magazine with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more
» Five Collector’s Edition artcards featuring exclusive artwork
» In-game ChromeLine vehicle pack: five performance-enhanced cars ready to race
» Exclusive dynamic theme to customise your PS3™ XMB™ (XrossMediaBar)

Signature Edition:

Reminiscent of a no-expense-spared supercar launch, this luxury edition puts the pedal to the metal as soon as you open its contoured steel case, which is finished in Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Obsidian Black. As well as the game, the Apex driver’s magazine and the ChromeLine car pack, you’ll get:
» An exclusive, branded Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 1:43 scale model car
» A Gran Turismo leather wallet and metal Gran Turismo key fob
» A Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the beautiful cars and locations of Gran Turismo
» A bespoke Gran Turismo 5 USB key with a trailer showing the collaboration between Mercedes-Benz and Polyphony that brought the SLS AMG to screen
» Six additional in-game Stealth cars including the McLaren F1 and the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG and a dynamic theme
» For those 18 or over and resident in a participating country, the chance to win a real-life Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG – your very own gull-winged, 6.3-litre-engined supercar, in a competition like no other! Full terms and conditions will be made available at www.gran-turismo.com.

If that doesn’t whet your appetite enough, an additional six in-game ‘Stealth’ cars will be made available, which include:

» Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model
» Honda NSX GT500 Stealth Model
» Mazda 787B Stealth Model
» McLaren F1 Stealth Model
» Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Stealth Model
» Nissan GT-R GT500 Stealth Model

-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
Quote from Luke.S :right signature edition it is. £66 for all that not too shabby.

I think you've misread (or found a bargain online). The signature edition, with all the bells and whistles, is 180 euros rrp. Pricey but at least you get some stuff and the chance to win the SLS.
The collector's edition is 80 euros but it doesn't seem like good value to me. I think I'd either go the whole hog or just get the basic version.

Could those pre-order DLC cars be more lazily painted?

edit: lol, stealth post deletion.
The above show the stealth models, but I'm wondering what these ingame chrome line models are? Regular cars with chrome trim?

edit

The 5 "chrome line" cars for the European collector's edition.

Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro

BMW M3 Coupe

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe

Shelby Cobra 427
richard burns rally came out for the console, and so did burnout. will gt5 have better damage than those games?
The apex drivers' magazine seems useful. I remember reading the driving tip segments in the GT3 and GT4 manuals. However, someone could find more in-depth reading on the internets than what could possibly be in that magazine.

I am amazed how RBR is still the state-of-the-art rally sim on the market (I still play it regularly). All of the ones that I know of are just eye-candy. Maybe GT5 will be the ultimate all-in-one racing sim/game that will cater to both casual and simracers.
Wait WTF 119 Dollars (90 euros)
Seriously!!? I now feel betrayed somewhat by PD.

This game I will buy used so it will be dammed cheap.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Wait WTF 119 Dollars (90 euros)
Seriously!!? I now feel betrayed somewhat by PD.

This game I will buy used so it will be dammed cheap.

90 euro?

Its 80 euro for the collectors edition, Probably 60 for the non rice version...

Theres a 180 euro scam version that comes with loads o crap that has nothing to do with gameplay and a toy car if u have kids or are under 14...
SE in Australia is $300AUD....
$130AUD for CE
And $120 for normal version, but you can preorder for $90 from Gamelane online, including postage. Waiting to see if Gamelane will do a CE for $100
And see what stealth cars are offered

CE is only $10 more, so it's not too bad for the book, the DLC cars, dynamic PS3 theme and poster cards.
Seems like the US CE is inbetween that and the SE
Quote from CoolColJ :SE in Australia is $300AUD....
$130AUD for CE
And $120 for normal version, but you can preorder for $90 from Gamelane online, including postage. Waiting to see if Gamelane will do a CE for $100
And see what stealth cars are offered

CE is only $10 more, so it's not too bad for the book, the DLC cars, dynamic PS3 theme and poster cards.
Seems like the US CE is inbetween that and the SE

So you can afford GT5 and not LFS? interesting .
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :A bit dissapointing after everything we heard about it to be honest.

Looks nice though. Considering it's the first time GT has had damage.

crashing into a wall doing 180mph is hardly realistic.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Considering it's a beta and dynamic deformation, not canned or prebaked like in other games, I don't think it will be much more "impressive" as it takes a fair bit of horsepower to do spectacular deformation in real time.

Still it damaged a lot faster than the street cars at the same show
Not only that, there seems to be aerodynamics at play, the torn front splitter section after the first contact was flapping around. Plus the rear bumper dented quite easily from just reversing into the wall

You know the funny thing is, 95% of us will never see the damage while we're playing the game, especially from the bumper cam....

report from the guy who took the video
http://www.robgroove.com/

Quote :When i arrived it was so great to be in line for this event, just looking at the other 200+ PS3 gamers was a great feeling. Then the doors opened and we started on our way in, This is it! Without delay i made my way straight over to GT5 3D to give it a spin.

I took a seat and put on my 3D spec’s and took the SLS AMG for a spin on the Nurburgring….. I’am afraid to say i was not too impressed. While I looked at the outside of the car in rear view so i could check out how the car looked, i noticed a few scuff’s and scratches on the SLS, which was my first taste of damage in a Gran Turismo game and that was cool but it was the fact the 3D didn’t really POP!. It seemed to be when i watched the screen without the 3D spec’s it looked ever so slightly blurry. Then when you put the spec’s on it pretty much just looks like normal HD. Don’t get me wrong it did look fantastic but i was hoping for a better 3D experience from GT5. I was expecting the inside of the car to “wrap around me” when in cockpit mode but i got nothing close. However I can’t stress this enough, This is not the finished product. On my very first lap with this GT5 beta the track disappeared completely which assures me many fixes and updates will be applied in the final product.

A little while later while talking to one of the staff from the BetaRooms he was telling me how they couldn’t seem to set it up properly and that there are some 3D configuration settings which should make it look like it’s supposed to. I asked if i could have a fiddle with the settings but then thought it would be unfair as there was a limited amount of time for everyone to get a try of everything. So I now await the release on November 2nd for GT5 to just come out and show the world all the cool features they’ve been keeping secret for so long.

Think about it! do you really think Polyphony Digital would release a game in 3D and have it not be the Best experience out there to date? I have massive faith in this game and i KNOW they will deliver THE! game of the decade.

Throughout the rest of my time at the BetaRooms I tried a few different cars on different tracks just to check out some stuff and one of the things i wanted to do was smash up a NASCAR. I remember Kazunori Yamauchi saying the NSACAR will break into a 1000 pieces, so i decided to test it out on this E3 beta demo version of GT5.

First of all the car seemed to feel pretty heavy in its handling. It seemed to really just want to go in a straight line with a lot of power but still manages to turn. I think (sounds obvious I know) it will be great for long tracks with long straights but if you need to whip this whip round lots of little tight corners, you’re gonna have a hard time. As for the damage, well it’s not that easy to demolish a car in the short amount of time the demo gives you but i tried my best. The point’s of impact seemed to crumple, exposing both front tires but I didn’t notice any pieces flying off the car really which brings me to thinking the finished product will have a whole new level of detail. But don’t mark my words as this is only me giving my impressions and thoughts. The only way to really know what’s going to happen is to play the game when it comes out.

Don’t worry people’s GT5 WILL be the greatest racing game you have ever played and the 3D will be just as good.

Quote from brandons48 :Never said it was realistic - it's not.

I just said that, the way the damage looks, is pretty nice.

yeah, i know... i'm just saying LFS' damage model is way better, even if you can drive around with an engine that got crushed into a cube.
The damage model is fine, very little undramatic for heavy hits though which is fairly disappointing, but for the stuff your likely to experience it should be fine.

What concerns me comes form 2 aspects shown in that video, theres always wrecker racers in console gaming, and wall-riding and intentional slams are their PITA way of getting around being crap drivers, and that video showed nothing which will deter those sort of tactics and ruin public online racing for people who want to race in a racing game.
That could be largely because it was in arcade mode, so realism is dialed down to keep it simple and fun.

The second part comes from the fact that the crash physics (which should really just be physics) are pretty much non-existant. You watch any RL race of a car hitting a wall at >30 degrees and frequently you'll see them bounce of there and turn into a spinning wreck of metal. GT5 just has you grinding along the wall, and that just plain sucks.
Its just a stark reminder that were still dealing with mock physics, and that more often than not these canned effect are required until they can be created in a realistic way naturally. By that i mean a real world physics engine, where putting properly replicated objects into that setting would see them react almost perfectly identical to the real world, whether thats a tennis racket and ball or a pair of racing cars hitting each other head on at 70mph. The current GT5 engine cant create that situation realisticly, and it emphasises the need for canned effects to try and create that (even if it does sometimes create extreme results too).

I also dont really understand what people expect from the 3D experience, i think a few people are expecting a lot from it, simply because thats what they want. The same can be said about all of GT5 infact, its the crazy expectation that goes with it, and its going to disappoint a fair amount of people because of the fact that they're hyping themselves up and expect everything to be 100% perfect in every area, when the reality is nothing ever is. I truely think it'll be a great game, but i think a lot of people will be disappointed because they've let their expectations go OTT, im sure most people with their heads screwed on will see that though.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG