The online racing simulator
internet slow, computer wont pick up eithernet cord
hi, dont no where to post this so i guess here is good, ever since i reformatted my hard drive my internet has been really slow, only on my desktop, my sisters laptop got no probs with the internet, also my computer only picks up the wireless and not a wired connection, i got a insprion 530, its only 3 years only and i had never had any probs with it till now, anyone got any ideas?
Make sure the drivers for the network card are the correct ones. Or you can put in another network card and see if it picks up that one.
how do i find out the drivers for it? and i dont have another network card, but i cant even play lfs >.<
never mind stupid question lol

okay, it says my drivers are up to date =/
#5 - arco
Go here to download drivers.
Quote from arco :Go here to download drivers.

my drivers are up-to-date, i tried to plug it straight into my modem but it still didn't pick it up, the green light(flashing yellow) comes on when i plug it in but it doesn't pick it up when i try to connect, its not even a choice, it only picks up my wireless router, im running vista too btw
#7 - arco
Did you check in Device Manager?

Go to a command prompt, type ipconfig /all > diag.txt
and paste the info in diag.txt here.
Error: unrecognized or incomplete command line.

USAGE:
ipconfig [/allcompartments] [/? | /all |
/renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
/renew6 [adapter] | /release6 [adapter] |
/flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
/showclassid adapter |
/setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
adapter Connection name
(wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
/? Display this help message
/all Display full configuration information.
/allcompartments Display information for all compartments.
/release Release the IPv4 address for the specified adapter.
/release6 Release the IPv6 address for the specified adapter.
/renew Renew the IPv4 address for the specified adapter.
/renew6 Renew the IPv6 address for the specified adapter.
/flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
/registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
/displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
/showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
/setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:
> ipconfig ... Show information
> ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information
> ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters
> ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its
name starting with EL
> ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
"Local Area Connection 2"
> ipconfig /allcompartments ... Show information about all
compartments
> ipconfig /allcompartments /all ... Show detailed information about all
compartments
#9 - arco
Hmm, that's odd. Do you have internet working on the wireless right now?
If so, I can take a quick look using Teamviewer if you like? Just PM me your ID and password, and I can login to check.
yeah i got internet through wireless, i think it might be my modem cause my mom pluged the wrong power supply into it and almost caught it on fire lol but i find it weird that my computer wont pickup the cable, and i dont have that, im hoping to get a new router and modem soon, my modem is about 4 years old so haha, i'm going to try and call dell to see if they can help me with it tomorrow

but if you want to take a quick look i will get team viewer
#11 - arco
Well, if the same problem occurs when connecting the cable to another computer, then there's an issue with modem/router. If cable works fine on another computer, it probably is an issue with the Dell.
okay, you no i never thought of trying to connect another computer to it

okay i just tried my old laptop and it worked fine =/ so i guess its my computer than
Thanks soo much for your help!
#14 - arco
No problem.
For reference, it turned out that the cabled network was fine. The card had received an ip address and all, but internet traffic was going through the wireless card. So, by simply disabling the wireless card made the internet traffic go through cabled network. Problem solved.
LOL why would a desktop even have a wireless connection? This is such a ridiculous solution to a ridiculous problem, I have to say!
A little OT question here, do dell's break down that often? For some reason ive seen alot of problems with dell pc's and one with a laptop that burned up and in the end, it burned down a home. Ive never had one so i cant tell, can any of u?
Well, since this one hasn't actually been broken you cannot take this case as a reference. But my brother has a Dell laptop and despite being treated pretty roughly it's still holding up...
Quote from hazaky :A little OT question here, do dell's break down that often? For some reason ive seen alot of problems with dell pc's and one with a laptop that burned up and in the end, it burned down a home. Ive never had one so i cant tell, can any of u?

I use a dell xps laptop that I've had for about 3 years and it's been used pretty much every day, apart from a melted graphics card (pretty common for laptops due to obvious cooling probs) I really haven't had a problem with it. Like you I've heard a few horror stories but after owning one I would recommend them over many others

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG