The online racing simulator
Quote from joshdifabio :Well the pundits are former players, but you're right, you probably know better. And you might want to read my last post again, I didn't say it wasn't a good strike .

Nerver said I knew better...

Define a good goal... By their standards any goal ever is a "growler"... 90% of the goals are because GK's make mistakes. 10% are penalties which are mostly luck. So whats a good goal then?

Anyways, nice equalizer.
If Uruguay keeps playing like the first half they'll end winning IMO.
Quote from DevilDare :Nerver said I knew better...

Define a good goal... By their standards then any goal ever is a "growler"... 90% of the goals are because GK's make mistakes. 10% are penalties which are mostly luck. So whats a good goal then?

Anyways, nice equalizer.

It sounds like Gio's shot was a good one, but personally I don't like to call a goal "good", certainly not the "best of the tournament hands down" if it's one the keeper should have saved.

Quagliarella's goal against Slovakia was brilliant, Ozil's against Ghana was great, too. South Africa's goal in the first match was very good if I remember correctly. I'm sure there have been plenty more, too. No one thinks that 90% of goals are goalkeeping howlers, but there have been a lot in this tournament - though still not close to 90% .

Edit: And I'd say most of Germany's counter-attacking goals have been very good as well. Lampard's goal against Germany wasn't bad either.

The thing about national football is that teams can't sign better players. If they don't have a good keeper, there's nothing they can do about it. It's not like club football. I think that probably contributes to it because some of the keepers at this tournament have been awful. Did you think that Donovan's goal against England was a good goal? Forlan's equaliser against the Netherlands just now? I can't get excited by that kind of goal.
Quote from DevilDare :
Anyways, nice equalizer.

Damn Forlan person. I wish he was dutch. :hide:

I just hope our team will keep playing as they did for the first 20 minutes, and van Marwijk will replace van Persie.
Quote from joshdifabio :It sounds like Gio's shot was a good one, but personally I don't like to call a goal "good", certainly not the "best of the tournament hands down" if it's one the keeper should have saved.

How was that a saveable goal? Let me paint you the picture - 60mph, 35 yards out, straight into top left corner. The goalkeeper had no chance to get it.

Forlan's goal on the other hand, was saveable. That was bad goalkeeping from the Dutch GK.
Quote from DevilDare :How was that a saveable goal? Let me paint you the picture - 60mph, 35 yards out, straight into top left corner. The goalkeeper had no chance to get it.

It can be argued that the went for it with the wrong hand, using the left to power up rather than twisting the body and going with the right....

..However it is one of these things that non keepers like to speculate on while we keepers like to avoid thinking too much about.
Quote from DevilDare :How was that a saveable goal? Let me paint you the picture - 60mph, 35 yards out, straight into top left corner. The goalkeeper had no chance to get it.

Hehe, well when I'm able to watch it later on I'll let you know my own thoughts. The commentators & pundits are speculating that he was not expecting the shot and failed to move his feet. What I will say is that, in my opinion, to be beaten from an angle (which greatly reduces the amount of the goal which is visible) from 35 yards you've gotta do something very wrong.

And, well, I doubt it was a 60mph shot. Hasselbaink scored a free kick for Chelsea against Tottenham a few years ago from a similar distance which was in the 70's (mph), and was, at the time, the fastest shot Sky had ever recorded the speed of. The pundit this evening mentioned that van Bronckhorst's shot was not particularly powerful, which was part of the reason they thought it was a poor effort from the keeper.
Quote from joshdifabio :
And, well, I doubt it was a 60mph shot. Hasselbaink scored a free kick for Chelsea against Tottenham a few years ago from a similar distance which was in the 70's (mph)

70mph as the fastest seems a bit low to me... unless the speed gun was lying a few years ago when it told me I kicked 72mph

I'd say the fastest would be 120+ mph
with most pro's fastest being 95-105 or so
Awesome goal.
Quote from joshdifabio :Hehe, well when I'm able to watch it later on I'll let you know my own thoughts. The commentators & pundits are speculating that he was not expecting the shot and failed to move his feet. What I will say is that, in my opinion, to be beaten from an angle (which greatly reduces the amount of the goal which is visible) from 35 yards you've gotta do something very wrong.

And, well, I doubt it was a 60mph shot. Hasselbaink scored a free kick for Chelsea against Tottenham a few years ago from a similar distance which was in the 70's (mph), and was, at the time, the fastest shot Sky had ever recorded the speed of. The pundit this evening mentioned that van Bronckhorst's shot was not particularly powerful, which was part of the reason they thought it was a poor effort from the keeper.

It was 61mph. ITV showed all the details of the goal.

Woo! 2-1.
debateable offsides goal
I'm really unclear after watching the only replay they showed. I hope not for the sake of the game.

EDIT: Doesn't matter all that much anymore 3-1!
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :debateable offsides goal
I'm really unclear after watching the only replay they showed. I hope not for the sake of the game.

Van Persie did not get a touch on it. So...

And there you go! Robben just burried it.

3-1
Correct decision there. Player was level, maybe slightly offside, but in those circumstances the benefit is supposed to go with the attacking team, plus the last touch comes off the defender which means that the player cannot be offside.

Third goal is a nice one. Uruguay are nothing without Suarez
Quote from DevilDare :Van Persie did not get a touch on it. So...

And there you go! Robben just burried it.

3-1

doesn't have to touch it to be offsides.
but like I said, we only got one replay, commentators think it was offside though
I would say thats it!
@MAckie the Dutch player played the ball. Uruguay was just a deflection, it doesn't count that way

he would have had to play the ball with some intent
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :doesn't have to touch it to be offsides.
but like I said, we only got one replay, commentators think it was offside though

Yeah but he wasnt involved in the play... He just stood there...

Hardly off. Half of his foot may have been behind the lines but...

Quote from DevilDare :It was 61mph. ITV showed all the details of the goal.

My mistake.

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :...plus the last touch comes off the defender which means that the player cannot be offside.

That doesn't make a difference. The player has to be onside or not "interfering with play" when his team mate plays the ball. Whether or not the ball then strikes an opponent makes no difference.

Hopefully the Dutch will come alive now and play some football for the rest of the game!
Quote from DevilDare :Yeah but he wasnt involved in the play... He just stood there...

but if he influenced the ability of the defender to get to the ball or caused the goalie to hesitate because of a potential deflection...offside

EDIT: 3rd goal was absolutely fantastic
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :@MAckie the Dutch player played the ball. Uruguay was just a deflection, it doesn't count that way

Just reading back my orginally post, had my head up my arse and didn't explain it too well. If he was onside when the player passes it, yet in an offside position when deflected by the opposing player he is still classed as onside. You can’t be offside if the ball is deflected to you by an opposition player as long as from the start of the move you where onside, imo he was level when the intial pass was made (maybe an arm offside)

As for interfering with play. This is where I have an issue with the law. If you’re not interfering with play then surely you are off the pitch, ridiculous wording of the law and needs to be sorted by FIFA
Woah! That was some tension right there.

Nice game though. Well done Holland!

Hup hup!
Bommel finally gets carded.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH OMG the ref end the game soo late!!!

Very nice goals.
Last 2-3 minutes were confusing...

Let's win the next one too plz.
My heart... great match in terms of tension! I'm glad I'm not a heart patient.

FIFA South Africa 2010
(2134 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG