The online racing simulator
Legalising Marijuana
(238 posts, started )

Poll : Should marijuana be legalised?

I feel strongly marijuana should be legalised.
I feel marijuana should be legalised.
I don't care if marijuana is legalised.
I feel strongly marijuana should remain illegal.
I feel fairly strongly marijuana should be legalised.
I feel marijuana should remain illegal.
I feel fairly strongly marijuana should remain illegal.
I also think that It should be legalised, not because it has any benefits, being a currently illegal drug i do not honestly beleive it should be. But then i do think all drugs should be made legal for a few reasons.

Now granted, not all drugs are safe and many have serious health implications... but it isnt like these health issues are un-known or not spoken about left right and centre. People who take drugs illegally make that decission for themselves (on the vast majority of occasions) and thus should have a general concept of the risks and (if any) benefits of taking that drug.

I am not saying legalise drugs then let people drive or practice as a doctor as that is endangering anothers health other than that of the 'user'.

Also one thing that gets on my nerves. (Warning may be harsh). Is that people who die of illegal drug overdoses, like the teenagers who died from taking mephedrone, get onto the national news channels and we are made to feel sorry for them. In the friendliest way possible what a load of turd. These 'idiots' chose to take drugs and payed the consequences... no sympathy from me is given and i cant understand why it would be given by other people.

As far as I am concerned legalise ALL drugs with a few ground rules such as driving whilst high put in place and let the idiots who choose to 'use' drugs use them and pay whatever consequences they deserve for doing so.

./rant
Quote from oscarhardwick :

Also one thing that gets on my nerves. (Warning may be harsh). Is that people who die of illegal drug overdoses, like the teenagers who died from taking mephedrone, get onto the national news channels and we are made to feel sorry for them. In the friendliest way possible what a load of turd. These 'idiots' chose to take drugs and payed the consequences... no sympathy from me is given and i cant understand why it would be given by other people.

Whilst I slightly agree with this statement, it has to be said that the system has failed them. As an illegal drug it shouldn't have even gotten in to their systems in the first place. The system has failed them. That's what we should feel sorry for. If their dealer had of been arrested then it could of been avoided. But I do agree in terms of feeling sorry for people who died like that, it's like people who wreck cars whilst drunk, die and then the family of that person say things like "oh he was a lovely lad he didn't do anything wrong, he didn't do anything to deserve this." Well, yes he did, because he drunk and drove, and in my eyes, driving without your full undivided attention makes you deserve to die.
Quote from BlueFlame :Whilst I slightly agree with this statement, it has to be said that the system has failed them. As an illegal drug it shouldn't have even gotten in to their systems in the first place. The system has failed them. That's what we should feel sorry for. If their dealer had of been arrested then it could of been avoided. But I do agree in terms of feeling sorry for people who died like that, it's like people who wreck cars whilst drunk, die and then the family of that person say things like "oh he was a lovely lad he didn't do anything wrong, he didn't do anything to deserve this." Well, yes he did, because he drunk and drove, and in my eyes, driving without your full undivided attention makes you deserve to die.

Completely agree tbh, I do get what you say and i do in some ways feel sorry for other parties... but my sympathy is ever so limited.
Quote from BlueFlame :Children find ways to drink underage, they will sure as hell find a way to smoke cannabis underage too. If you think that is ok, then you need to be shot.

Straw man argument. Nobody here advocates legalisation of cannabis/pot for underage kids.
Quote :You all moan that legalizing cannabis will sort out the prison and legal system

Haven't seen anyone stating that. Straw man, again.
Quote :How many people get sentenced for illegal substances.. Too many.

Ah, now there's a problem where legalisation will surely help!
Quote :Some people have never smoked cannabis because they've never encountered it. These people are few, and you want to minimalize this number

So you prefer blissful ignorance over an informed decision by an adult?
Quote :to suit you and your friends habits?

I never used any of the stuff. I'm in favour of legalisation because the current policies are grossly inconsistent. By any reasonable standard, cannabis is less harmful than alcohol/tobacco, yet only the former is illegal.

You can favour restrictive policies. But at least be consistent: if you rant against cannabis and pot, then you should rage even more against booze.
I don't give a damn about alcohol, you can drink one a day and it will purge itself from your system within two days or so. There's a reason that cannabis is illegal in most countries. And there's a good reason it will stay that way.

Plus, the governments have to look they are doing something in SOME way.
Quote from jibber :I smoke weed since 15 years, daily. I have yet to experience any of those things.

I also know lots and lots of people who smoke weed on a daily basis, some of them do this since before the day i was born (more than 30 years). I have yet to meet somebody who shows any of those nonsense "after effects" of smoking weed.

By the way: They all have normal jobs and normal lives including friends, family, girlfriends, wifes, kids, etc.

Some people might fit those nonsense after effects that people are talking about in this thread. But honestly, a person who has issues and problems, an emotionally unstable person, with tendencies to schizophrenia... these people didn't become like that because of smoking weed. However, it may help them to further "develop" those issues (weed works great as an enhancer of feelings / emotions, so if you're paranoid and want to amplify these feelings, smoking weed will certainly do the trick for you).

Good for you. I actally fit perfectly in to those "nonsence" facts, and i also understand that narcotics have become trend at this state of century...
People are different, yes, but i am one of those who have weak liver wich for some reason can apply perfectly large amounts of alcohol but not any of these nerve poisons that caused me some serious issues for my life (and for your information: no, i have never experienced depression or any kind of mental issues before)
People ARE different with different sideeffects and i couldn't care any less for what maturity level you were since you become smoking cannabis.

edit* For the first time i agree with Blueflame,
I understand that all you people think that narcotics are cool but actually there is a reason why it is being illegal.
Quote from BlueFlame :I don't give a damn about alcohol, you can drink one a day and it will purge itself from your system within two days or so. There's a reason that cannabis is illegal in most countries. And there's a good reason it will stay that way.

Plus, the governments have to look they are doing something in SOME way.

Look at how many people die each year from alcohol all around the world, then compare it to all the deaths related to cannabis.
Quote from -NightFly- :narcotic

wait, you think that marijuana is made from opium poppies? this can only go downhill from here:munching_
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :wait, you think that marijuana is made from opium poppies? this can only go downhill from here:munching_

:doh:
no i think that mari is nothing near the tobacco/alocohol/andwhatever and it is made of jelly!
well, that's what a narcotic is... narcotic refers to opium or any derivative of opium or coca and any derivative of coca. or any synthetic replica of these drugs. This includes morphine, cocaine, and heroin, among countless other drugs, but definitely not marijuana.
United Nations

" A looser usage of the word "narcotic" to refer to any illegal or unlawfully possessed drug including marijuana and herion is common worldwide"
ah ok, we operate under different definitions for the term narcotic then. ignore all of the above, apparently it only applies to USA.

United States

In a U.S. legal context, the term "narcotic" specifically refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic or fully synthetic substitutes, as well as cocaine and coca leaves.
Wikipedia FTW
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :ah ok, we operate under different definitions for the term narcotic then. ignore all of the above, apparently it only applies to USA.

United States

In a U.S. legal context, the term "narcotic" specifically refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic or fully synthetic substitutes, as well as cocaine and coca leaves.
Wikipedia FTW

Yep....Exactely where my quote wes taken from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcotic
Edit* But the thing is actually that i don't like the idea to have more options for people to poison themselves than there aleady are. The more legal you make them the more people will use them.
#189 - STF
Quote from Jertje :you know that your given source claims it cures AIDS right? Sounds a bit dodgy...

Yes, I am aware of that. What you wrote sounded like AIDS is incurable, you might want to look into bob beck protocol(links in my previous posts).

About weed and AIDS I don`t know, but really, I would not be surprised, seeing people cured by cancer from time to time with it, and so many other (nasty) diseases, ulcers, glaucoma, brain tumors, even ADHD for crying out loud.

I don`t know what the explanation is, not even the doctors do, but I know it works. Sounds like a cheap commercial lol. More sources with pro's and con's.

Quote from Lester Grinspoon, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School :

If marijuana were a new discovery rather than a well-known substance carrying cultural and political baggage, it would be hailed as a wonder drug." src

PS: I have a dyslexic friend. Yet he`s a good writer and a very smart, educated individual. I always wondered how he can be like that, he can`t read more than two lines of text at once ffs! Until I found out he smokes weed, throw some weed at him and he can read(&comprehend) for hours, page after page after page. He can be quite a fast reader too. He`s launching a book by the end of the year.
Quote from jibber :Look at how many people die each year from alcohol all around the world, then compare it to all the deaths related to cannabis.

Do you fail to realize that more people drink Alcohol than Cannabis? And that Alcohol is a legal substance that can be aquired by anyone of the correct age?

Using these statistics to support cannabis only means that you cut off your own nose to spite your face because the mortality rates would inevitably rise the more the drug is used. If it were legal, the mortality rate would increase, then where would your argument be?

Also, I agree with NightFly that drugs seem to be 'cool' in this current social climate. No drug is cool. If you can't live without it, then you are not enough of a person WITH it. And the more the drug affects you physically and mentally, the more this statement applies.

There are pro's to any drug, whether it's prescription meds, ibuprofen or an inhaler for asthma, but if you use these when you are no longer in need of it, problems will develop. The majority supporting cannabis becoming legal are smokers of it themselves, and do not care of the benefits it gives otherwise they would only use cannabis when they needed to (in terms of pain-relief, or a sedative). Instead these people continue to smoke repeatidly, and will continue to do so whether the drug is legal or not. It only benefits them in the way that they won't be arrested for smoking it.
Quote from BlueFlame :If it were legal, the mortality rate would increase, then where would your argument be?

Well, this sentence displays a fundamental lack of understanding. Firstly the "mortality rate" from marijuana is a very difficult thing to quantify. No-one has died from marijuana overdose, but I assume you're talking about illnesses related to marijuana usage? If we are taking the most harmful form of marijuana usage to measure this (i.e. marijuana with tobacco) then the mortality rate (which is the number of people who die per fixed number (e.g. 1 death out of 100 users)) would not rise unless the people who started to use it were more vulnerable to fatal diseases than those who currently use it. If we assume you meant that the number of people who die from relating illnesses would actually increase (rather than the rate of people who die) then I would agree with you only if we're talking about usage with tobacco.

Quote from BlueFlame :Also, I agree with NightFly that drugs seem to be 'cool' in this current social climate. No drug is cool. If you can't live without it, then you are not enough of a person WITH it. And the more the drug affects you physically and mentally, the more this statement applies.

See the end of this post. Humans consume many things we don't need. Should we ban all cakes because some people become obese? Surviving with only what the body needs is not really living, is it?

Quote from BlueFlame :The majority supporting cannabis becoming legal are smokers of it themselves, and do not care of the benefits it gives otherwise they would only use cannabis when they needed to (in terms of pain-relief, or a sedative). Instead these people continue to smoke repeatidly, and will continue to do so whether the drug is legal or not. It only benefits them in the way that they won't be arrested for smoking it.

Proof? Also, again your logic is failing you here. You're saying that most people only fight for things that benefit themselves. So, that means that the majority of people fighting to end slavery were black? Or that the majority of people currently fighting for gay rights are gay? What about the hundreds of thousands of people who fought in the American civil war to end slavery? Were they mostly black? You have an incredibly selfish viewpoint.
We don't need cannabis, neither alcohol or tobacco, so get over it, keep killing yourselves!
Quote from amp88 :

See the end of this post. Humans consume many things we don't need. Should we ban all cakes because some people become obese? Surviving with only what the body needs is not really living, is it?

Proof? Also, again your logic is failing you here. You're saying that most people only fight for things that benefit themselves. So, that means that the majority of people fighting to end slavery were black? Or that the majority of people currently fighting for gay rights are gay? What about the hundreds of thousands of people who fought in the American civil war to end slavery? Were they mostly black? You have an incredibly selfish viewpoint.

Cakes are a variety of food, Cakes do nobody any harm unless you eat too many. Marijuana is just another drug. Nobody really feels a necessity to eat a cake every day. But some people feel a necessity to drug up everyday.

My logic doesn't fail on this matter. I didn't say most people fight for things that only benefit themselves (but generally that does happen) I am just using that logic on Marijuana lawgivers..
Quote from BlueFlame :Cakes are a variety of food, Cakes do nobody any harm unless you eat too many. Marijuana is just another drug. Nobody really feels a necessity to eat a cake every day. But some people feel a necessity to drug up everyday.

Again, blindly missing the point. Additionally, marijuana is not chemically addictive but refined white sugar (which is found in the vast majority of cakes sold today) is. If you started looking at food labelling more you'd probably be surprised how many foods contain this addictive substance. You'd also probably be surprised how many 'bad' things there are in most cakes (and other sweet goods). Refined white sugar is not a real food, it does us no good. It's legal and incredibly popular because it makes a lot of money.

Quote from BlueFlame :My logic doesn't fail on this matter. I didn't say most people fight for things that only benefit themselves (but generally that does happen) I am just using that logic on Marijuana lawgivers..

...and the point I was trying to make (because, yes, again you're missing it by a mile) is that smoking marijuana should be a civil liberty. In a free society you should be allowed to make choices that effect yourself as long as they don't break (just) laws or infringe on other people's civil liberties. Things should be legal unless they can be justifiably made illegal, NOT the other way round. If we all fought for only the things we wanted the world would be a horrible place.
Quote from amp88 :

...and the point I was trying to make (because, yes, again you're missing it by a mile) is that smoking marijuana should be a civil liberty. In a free society you should be allowed to make choices that effect yourself as long as they don't break (just) laws or infringe on other people's civil liberties. Things should be legal unless they can be justifiably made illegal, NOT the other way round. If we all fought for only the things we wanted the world would be a horrible place.

Then using this logic, we should allow Herioin to roam the streets for our children to possess and use.

All you people voting for Cannabis, I bet you don't have children. When you have children (for most people) you stop thinking about needless matters, start thinking about your own children, and other children and stop thinking about yourself!
Quote from BlueFlame :Then using this logic, we should allow Herioin to roam the streets for our children to possess and use.

I can see where you get that logic from (and I applaud you for actually thinking for once), but I haven't actually proposed allowing everyone (regardless of age) to purchase marijuana legally and I don't think anyone else has in this thread either. There should be a legal age for purchasing it, just as there is a legal age for many things in our society (cigarettes, alcohol, consensual sex, voting etc). Children (and in this context I'm thinking of people who are less than 16-18 years old) are generally less able than adults to evaluate evidence and make a decision based on the risks of a particular choice.

Quote from BlueFlame :All you people voting for Cannabis, I bet you don't have children. When you have children (for most people) you stop thinking about needless matters, start thinking about your own children, and other children and stop thinking about yourself!

Well, if just having children made you more socially aware and more likely to campaign for your children's safety then many things would have been banned a long time ago. Cigarettes, alcohol, refined sugar are all more harmful than marijuana. The best parents, IMO, are those who allow their children to have some latitude when it comes to self-discovery and learning lessons in life. Parents who try to stop their children from drinking alcohol or smoking, for example, are doing entirely the wrong thing in my opinion. If you let children (and by children I'm thinking of closer to the 16-18 years old, not pre-teens) find out things for themselves the lessons have a lot more value than just being told not to do something with no real justification.
Quote from BlueFlame :Do you fail to realize that more people drink Alcohol than Cannabis? And that Alcohol is a legal substance that can be aquired by anyone of the correct age?

Using these statistics to support cannabis only means that you cut off your own nose to spite your face because the mortality rates would inevitably rise the more the drug is used. If it were legal, the mortality rate would increase, then where would your argument be?

Loads of unrelated blabla... you're just pulling that stuff out of your nose aren't you? Show me a statistic or any form of proof that there are any deaths related to cannabis.

What you posted was:

Quote from BlueFlame :you can drink one a day and it will purge itself from your system within two days or so. There's a reason that cannabis is illegal in most countries. And there's a good reason it will stay that way.

Again, do you know how many people die each year from alcohol?

Your posts are complete rubbish.
Quote from -NightFly- :We don't need cannabis, neither alcohol or tobacco, so get over it, keep killing yourselves!

Theres alot of things we don't need does that mean they should be all illegal as well?
Quote from BlueFlame :All you people voting for Cannabis, I bet you don't have children.

Don't bet your money on that.
Quote :When you have children (for most people) you stop thinking about needless matters, start thinking about your own children

I am thinking about my children. I want them to grow up in a free society that lets them make their own choices without needless restrictions (like amp88 described), and I want them to grow up to become responsible adults who are able to make those choices. And that includes using cannabis or not. (It excludes using it before they're 18, because they won't be mature enough for a good choice. It also excludes using heroin, because it's way too addictive.)
Quote :and stop thinking about yourself!

You're assuming selfishness again. You seem unwilling to accept that others may disagree with you for valid, honourable reasons.

Legalising Marijuana
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG