The online racing simulator
Why you should NEVER buy Linksys products.
Hi,

First of all sorry to post this kind of thing here, but it's just to warn you never to buy Linksys products since the decives NEVER support 64bit and the support lacks of knowledge. Also the way I got threathed was very bad, and made me angry.

It started with this:
My dad wanted to move his PC downstairs and use wireless internet. He still had a Linksys WUSB54G v1.0 WiFi Adapter. This thing is indeed a bit old, but it worked fine on Windows Vista 32bit. Now my dad has Windows 7 64bit.

After spending the whole afternoon cleaning the livingroom, we made a place where he could sit with his pc, we moved his pc downstairs and plugged everything in, now we don't have a long enough LAN cable to make it to his pc, so we decided to use this wireless device. Once having it plugged in, it found an unknown device. After long time of searching I bumped into a website that had 2 Windows 7 64bit drivers, I was really happy when I found them, and went on to install one. Sadly short after I found out that these where for V2.0 and V4.0 of this device, so it didn't work...

Then I decided to take a livechat with Linksys, and see if they could help me. After a short chat the following happened:

Please wait... Your number in the queue: 1
A representative will be joining you shortly.
Vaughn (30070E) has joined this session.

from Walter Lemmens to All Participants:

Hello
from Vaughn (30070E) to All Participants:
Hello Walter Lemmens! Welcome to Linksys Live Chat. How may I help you?

Hi sir, I'm searching a driver for my wireless network adapter

but I can't seem to find one which supports Windows 7 64bit

Before we begin i need to ask you a couple of questions that will help me assist you better.

ok

May I know which country are you based in?

The Netherlands, Europe

Can you please confirm the serial number of your linksys product?

let me find that for you

Please..

MEQ10D352976 if im right

Please give me a momen

ok sir

This device seems to be out of warranty

That's right, but in my opinion I should still get driver support, since it would be strange if I have to trow away my hardware after a few years.

I am sorry there are no Windows 7 drivers for WUSB54G.

well there are, I found drivers for this device mabe by the company who made the chips inside this device

but they where for v2.0 and v4

I do admit that this device is a bit old, but here's an example, I buy a car in 2004, it would be strange if I had to trow it away in 2010 because there is no more fuel for this type of car

Could you please confirm the version of the adapter

V1.0

Vaughn (30070E) has left the support session.
WHAT,
And then you just dump your customer, because you don't know what you should do?
I know that I will NEVER buy Linksys products again if you treath your customers like this.

As you probably have read, I got threathed very unfairly, yeah sure they didn't have a driver, that could be right, but the way this #%"( just left the support session without saying any #(*_ caused me nerves. As you can see, I said nothing wrong, only a few examples, but not said in a wrong way.

This kids is why you should never buy any Linksys products, because if the warranty is gone, this &$^(#$^ company will not even try to help you on a normal way.

I just had to say this.

Rocky

#2 - Jakg
Newsflash - not all hardware has permanent driver support.
#3 - garph
I don't see a problem. I will still be buying Linksys products.

Thank you for posting on the LFS forum, is there anything else I can help you with today?

...don't want you to think I'm being impolite, I'd like you to still read my posts.
What do you expect? I am pretty sure my Tandy RLX1000 won't support a lot of things these days either?

(Not that I stand by Tandy but the point stands- technology changes.)

Had you actually updated the router/equipment and had this same thing with something 1yr old or less - then that might be a different story... Can't run home crying every time something doesn't work right 15yrs from now...

By the way, your car/fuel example may eventually happen. But it will also likely happen slowly enough that people naturally switch.
Quote from Jakg :Newsflash - not all hardware has permanent driver support.

Exactly!

Rockclan, About your thing with the car and fuel, that's something else, that's something 'universal'. Companies are not going to keep making drivers for their stuff, because they got better products, which they want you to buy, and it's also alot more work for them, if the product is rare, or not being sold anymore or something like that, nothing new, get over it. And that's not just with Linksys, it's with other brands, and other products.
Your analogy is incorrect. It's like buying a car in 2004, but then in 2009 the petrol stations around your area change their pumps. You can't hold a company responsible for the device not working in operating systems which weren't even known about when it was made...
All truth, and I'm not angry because of that my device has no driver, I'm angry on the way I got treath by the support person. Yes I was nagging a bit, but he could also have just ended the conversation on a normal way, by saying:

- I'm really sorry sir, there is nothing we can do. This device is to old to be supported, you might want to buy a newer device.
- Is there something else I can do for you?

Instead of first asking me the version of the device, and then quitting the convo.
Quote from boothy :Your analogy is incorrect. It's like buying a car in 2004, but then in 2009 the petrol stations around your area change their pumps. You can't hold a company responsible for the device not working in operating systems which weren't even known about when it was made...

Though the chip manufactor was able to make drivers for V2.0 and V4.0 of this device.

And about my analogy, you are right but still... Heck I can still drive a car from 1930 if I want and still refuel it.
Quote from rockclan :And about my analogy, you are right but still... Heck I can still drive a car from 1930 if I want and still refuel it.

As those ran on leaded petrol, you couldn't run it straight from the pump... Granted, adding the lead additive is generally a lot easier than writing a device driver, but it is possible.
so try installing the driver from vista on it.

most of window's drivers are backwards compatible even though they don't tell you that, because they all use the same kernel more or less. i've used w2k drivers on vista, so i don't see why it shouldn't work.
Ever consider legitamite connection issues - it happens. I don't know how long you waited around for him to reconnect, or if you just disconnected after your final statements... But I've been disco'd from chatting with tech guys, waited and they've come back. Of course it is a pain, and worse when you have to start over because a different tech comes on, but still.
Quote from blackbird04217 :Ever consider legitamite connection issues - it happens. I don't know how long you waited around for him to reconnect, or if you just disconnected after your final statements... But I've been disco'd from chatting with tech guys, waited and they've come back. Of course it is a pain, and worse when you have to start over because a different tech comes on, but still.

He left, and never came back. I left the convo open for atleast 10 more minutes.

He left without telling me anything.

He left after asking me a question, and never giving another answer.

That's what I'm pissed about, he could consider me as a valuable customer since I study at Cisco NetAcadamy, and have lots of stuff from Linksys, but instead, he just dumped me on a rued way.
in that situation, i'd get angry too. but i think it's just his bad, not the comany's. maybe send an email to the company to inform that guy's behavior?
I think I'd never buy DLink.. Had a linksys router that lasted about 6 years.. it died, we bought a Dlink.. 1 year later.. Another Linksys.
you tried a/s/l?
maybe he misclicked.

Why you should NEVER buy Linksys products.
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG