The online racing simulator
ever wondered where the scrappage cars went?
some of those cars look brand new... it reminds me of what gm did to all the ev1's.
anyone up for going there and having a hoon?

I call dibs on the MR2. (Which dickhead scrapped an MR2 I don't know.) Whoever it was should have his balls removed.
Quote from Luke.S :anyone up for going there and having a hoon?

I call dibs on the MR2. (Which dickhead scrapped an MR2 I don't know.) Whoever it was should have his balls removed.

i think theres a mazza in there somewhere and i have dibs on the a6 and the jaggggggg oh and that landrover buggy
This is one of the biggest scandals of recent years and here's why

1. Most manufacturers raised the price of the new cars before the deal started anyway oddly enough meaning poeple were scrapping their perfectly good cars and for it still paid market price!
2. Perfectly good second hand cars scrapped
3. Second hand car prices saw massive rises meaning young kids wanting to get on the road (making getting a job easier) were out of the market
4. Second hand car dealers lost a ton of business
5. YOU paid for this!

So all we got was a bunch of car makers enjoy a nice little boom for their cars no one really wanted or needed. Made fantastic headlines tho "new car sales boom". Unfortunately the bias media we have in this country FAILED to report the ACTUAL story!
yeah the scrappage scheme was a scandal but i mean that is a huge backlog. would be easier for the country to auction all those off im sure there is many familys who would love a cheap auctioned car
Quote :we had some serious amounts of fun,cars with keys and fuel that start some that are worth serious amounts of money and a airfield and 3 daft grown men = another story to tell the kids

I now want to find this place
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :I now want to find this place

its in bedford next to bedford autodrome. im up for a ride maybe stop over and then take the expensive cars home. look at it on google maps
found 2 more pics

Quote from brt900 :yeah the scrappage scheme was a scandal but i mean that is a huge backlog. would be easier for the country to auction all those off im sure there is many familys who would love a cheap auctioned car

The problem is if they auction them the point of the scrappage scheme is 'un-done'. Labour wanted good headline

"New car sales up"

unfortunately for us that meant costing us a shit load of money and opportunity. Thankfully for Labour the public is pretty gullible, and with the BBC so slanted left there was no chance this would be covered in a fair and unbiased manner.

Any, the reason they won't be auctioned is because a flood of decent second hand cars onto the market would see new car sales drop which creates bad headlines. I don't see how a company that is failing to provide the market with a product it wants is somehow 'bad' but that's what people fall for nowadays!
Just checked it out on google maps, it's so organized, it's insane!
#11 - senn
THat pisses me off, how about giving them to families who need a car but can't afford to buy one?
Quote from senn :THat pisses me off, how about giving them to families who need a car but can't afford to buy one?

+1

It's such an insane waste of mostly good cars, the mind boggles...

Surely they can spare just one for me?
We could rent a few car transporters. Rescue all the good cars like the MR2s the Imprezas which are likely to be there. The jag and the 4x4s.
Seems the AA wanted to get rid of a few of their flatbeds, I spotted some on the runway

And mm, Bedford Aerodrome race track *hint hint*
Thats just my parking lot, who broke in to there?
Quote from senn :THat pisses me off, how about giving them to families who need a car but can't afford to buy one?

Well you then cause the second hand car market to crash because you flood the market with free cars. It also raises some serious questions about market interference and social engineering.

The problem is the cars should never have been taken off the market in the first place.
The cars were there keeping prices quite low for the new buyer and families, and now the prices have gone up because of this. I can't believe how many idiots there are that are nopw in a ton of debt because they fell for this scheme. Getting rid of their perfectly good car to get a new one which isn't any better, and a whole lot more expensive.
Absolute scandal in so many ways - one of the objectives was to clear the backlog of cars clogging up ports and storage depots, and all we have now is another huge backlog of cars.

Replacing perfectly roadworthy cars with other perfectly roadworthy cars, sure, that makes a huge amount of sense! And it did nothing to reduce emissions, all the cars taken off the road would produce less than the amount taken to manufacture and run all these new 'cleaner' cars.
they would make perfect trackday cars. all the 4x4 can make some decent crawlers
Quote from mookie427 :And it did nothing to reduce emissions, all the cars taken off the road would produce less than the amount taken to manufacture and run all these new 'cleaner' cars.

Not to mention the cost and emissions that will result from all the scrappage cars being destroyed.
so, the people who got in, did they break in?
were they allowed in?
can they freely do whatever with them?
can they buy them at low prices?
Quote from brt900 :they would make perfect trackday cars. all the 4x4 can make some decent crawlers

Crawlers..? Ye sure a Rav4 crawler. lol

I see a blue Peugeot 306 convertible which is exactly the same as my mums, they are pretty cool cars to drive so why would someone do that!
#22 - Jakg
Quote from logitekg25 :so, the people who got in, did they break in? Yes
were they allowed in? No
can they freely do whatever with them? No
can they buy them at low prices? No

Scrappage was not for the environment - it was for the economy. Not a great idea, but it did help the sales of new cars.

And I have doubts that most of those cars still had fuel in tbh

And yes, while there are "nice" cars parked their, most of them are probably sheds otherwise the owner would of got much much more on a private sale.

For those outside of the UK - For a time the UK government ran a scheme where if you bought a new car, and traded in a 10 year old or more car, you got £2k off the new car. The car you traded in would then be destroyed.

I'm finding it very hard to find out what actually happened to the cars (as afaik they can still be broken for parts...) but I remember their being a lot of controversy over whether or not the cars at Bedford where actually for it.

EDIT - The reason why i'm skeptical is that fuel isn't cheap - if there were a bunch of unguarded cars with fuel and keys then gangs would be stealing parts / petrol to order by now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG