The online racing simulator
WTCC vs V8 Supercar
(44 posts, started )
V8 supercars must be harder to drive and I like the fact that it merge some european auto-racing culture and american (V8 inside).

However must tell that WTCC is a bit better because it is a worldwide championship where driver from lot of country are racing. Several manifacturer are involved whereas V8 supercar is only an australian championship where the majority of the driver are australian...It would be fun to see how many non-australian (+new zealand...) have raced there...maybe Yvan Muller.

So it is hard to compare WTCC and V8 supercar. I prefer V8 supercar spirit with some sprint and endurance races, big engine, ... but WTCC is really another thing. It is as comparing Le Mans and Formula one or nascar and GT1 ^^ Could be better to compare BTCC and V8 Supercars, both are almost on the same scale
Quote from MoMo92i :However must tell that WTCC is a bit better because it is a worldwide championship where driver from lot of country are racing. Several manifacturer are involved whereas V8 supercar is only an australian championship where the majority of the driver are australian...It would be fun to see how many non-australian (+new zealand...) have raced there...maybe Yvan Muller.

From the top of my head (so there are probably more):

John Cleland (Scottish)
Jason Plato (English)
Matt Neal (English)
James Thompson (English)
Boris Said (USA)
Rickard Rydell (Swedish)
Alain Menu (French)
Yvan Muller (French)
Jose Fernandez (Mexican)
Max Wilson (Brazilian)
Alex Tagliani (Canadian)

The only one to win a race (AFAIK) is Muller who won the 2005 Sandown 500 along with Lowndes. The rest have struggled due to inexperience and/or uncompetitive cars.
amp88 is right about all those drivers, but the guy before is right that this should compare British TC's to V8"s, not the WTCC to V8's.
Quote from Luttsy :amp88 is right about all those drivers, but the guy before is right that this should compare British TC's to V8"s, not the WTCC to V8's.

Not really, considering most of Australias best drivers are in the V8SC series where as most of the best british drivers would be in a open wheel series(like IRL, F3.5 etc) or GT/ALMS.

They tend to do to series such as BTCC when it doesn't work out for them.
yeah fair enough, but it's hard for Australians to get drives over their because australia is a long way from england, maybe only young formula ford might make their break over there.
So despite Australias talent pool being quite small most of it leads on to V8SC which is why the quality of talent tends to be quite high.
in fact V8 would be awesome if it was more an international championship because these car are really sexier than WTCC s'one !
the V8SC's have been overseas, they've been to China, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain.
But the series it self is still pretty national.

Judging by the popularity it should continue to expand, hopefully to europe one day =)
Quote from Mustafur :But the series it self is still pretty national.

Judging by the popularity it should continue to expand, hopefully to europe one day =)

Of course the series is national, but if it does go over to europe it may atract to much international status and might become a world championship, this series is meant for australia.......................mate
Quote from Luttsy :Of course the series is national, but if it does go over to europe it may atract to much international status and might become a world championship, this series is meant for australia.......................mate

Thats what they said about F1 at first(but Europe).
Formula 1 took 44 years to become international...And in 1950 the only race out of Europe was Indianapolis

I think the main problem for V8SC to come in Europe is the fact that Australia is far away. It would be quite expensive :s Anyway it would be so sexy to see these car fighting at L'eau rouge
Quote from MoMo92i :Formula 1 took 44 years to become international...And in 1950 the only race out of Europe was Indianapolis

I think the main problem for V8SC to come in Europe is the fact that Australia is far away. It would be quite expensive :s Anyway it would be so sexy to see these car fighting at L'eau rouge

F1 has been around for ages, V8SC's have only been around since the mid-late 1990's
Depends on how far you want to look back. The V8SC is the product of ATCC's demise.
Quote from amp88 :
Jose Fernandez (Mexican)

That is incorrect, Jose is Australian with a Spanish background; not Mexican.
Quote from sammie88 :That is incorrect, Jose is Australian with a Spanish background; not Mexican.

I got him mixed up with Adrian Fernandez (who is Mexican but hasn't driven in V8s AFAIK).

WTCC vs V8 Supercar
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG